Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/3/2003 9:38:48 AM EDT
In 18 years of LEO, I have seen 1 H&K MP5 out here in Gods country. On the other hand, I know of 3 agencies with M16s and I know several officers with privately owned AR15s. Prior to my changing sheriff's depts, the boss was in the process of getting M4s for the dept. We looked at MP5s, but we could get a couple of M4s plus goodies for less than 1 MP5. Anyone know what a new MP5 costs nowdays?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:27:51 AM EDT
The last time I saw a price, the MP-5 A2 was going for about $1600.00, department price. The SD was several hundred more. Part of the reason that H&K came out with the new UMP was to try to be cost competitive with other manufacturers. The UMP was going for around $900-1000.00 department price. Another problem that a lot of tactical teams have discovered is that the 9mm hasn't been as effective as they hoped. The 9mm ball overpenetrates badly, and the hollow points are almost as bad, since they tend to plug up with cloth, sheetrock, or other material & fail to expand. When the 5.56 works as it is supposed to, it gives much better results with less risk of overpenetration. A surprising number of tac teams have gone away from 9mm/.40 cal. subguns in favor of M-4 or other 5.56 carbines for entry guns.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:30:32 AM EDT
Another issue tiwh HK is service and parts. One local agency had an MP5 at HK for almost a year. the three round bust trigger groups have to go back to Germany to get fixed if they break, if I understand correctly. That being said, I just took delivery of 37 HK USP .45s for my department issue pistol. I didn't get much voice in the choice, but if they're willing to pay for it and send me to the armorer's school, I'll fix 'em.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:40:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/3/2003 12:41:30 PM EDT by kels]
HEY VOJTA I carried a dept issued USP 40 for a while. The only problem I remember was someone twisted off a safety lever. Never did hear why it happened. Management was dumbfounded to hear we were carrying our with the safety on. DUH This was a common problem when they first came out. I have large hands and the 40 compact is TOO SMALL for me. Also the checkering can be fairly sharp on the new guns. Car seatbelts can release the magazine. Last but not least, they need to be CLEANED. They are not as forgiving as glocks. If you start having failure to go into battery type problems, 99% of these will be a dirty gun. Also clean the firing pin channel once a year. It collects debris from shooting. The agency traded them for 9mm glocks a while back to be compatable with a neighboring agency. (like someone is going to give up ammo in a gun fight)SNICKER I do know that when it came time to trade them in, the only ones that got traded in were MANAGEMENTS. The officers all bought theirs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:01:42 PM EDT
New MP5SDs cost almost $2500 now. They come with one magazine and a sling. Lets see, for $2500 I could buy: $800 Bushmaster M4A3-type carbine $300 EOTech 551 $300 RAS $400 Surefire M900 $400 Suppressor $200 IR laser $25 Sling $50 Soft case Leaving me with $25 left over or enough to buy two more Bushmaster teflon 30-rounders. The MP5SD is a blast to shoot, and is one of the most fun weapons I have ever shot. Heck, if they were available for public sale, I'd scrounge up $2500 and buy one. For the money, though, I can put together an entire M4 system for what an SD costs (and I have done so, as an armorer). I can also "cheat" on ARs, and get some of the accessories and parts, especially the IR lasers and the occasional Aimpoint, free from DRMO. I haven't found any MP5 parts in the DRMO system yet, and believe me, I look for parts on the DRMO website every day. As others have noted, the 9mm really doesn't perform that well, and .223 not only has better wound ballistics, but it also has LESS overpenetration and barrier penetration than 9mm, or other pistol rounds for that matter. I can get used M16s for pocket change from the military, rebuild them into carbines using cheap or free but reliable parts, and crank out weapons systems for my troops for a fraction of what H&K stuff costs. Oh, and SDs are a real bear to clean. Sorry H&K, you make neat stuff, but ARs give me more bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:31:24 PM EDT
local PD here carries USP .45's, they also currently use the MP-5 but are switching to the UMP
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:38:19 AM EDT
Yes they have. One of the local police supply houses is having an HK closeout sale (I think they are dropping the brand) Their Sale prices on HK pistols are roughly 30% MORE than a regular Glock price. (Not that I'm a big fan of Glocks, but you see my point) As for the UMP, For a limited time only, you can buy one with a 10 rd mag for a price barely under 1,000$. (Before tax) This same distributor sells postban AR's for 725$.
Top Top