Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2011 7:36:22 PM EDT
I did a search for something gun-related, and it turned up an archived thread from several years ago. I wasn't signed in to ARFCOM on this computer at the time of the search, either.

Has this always been possible? I don't remember coming across that before. I thought the archives were members-only?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know it has.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Google can't search the archives.  It can search threads while they're active, though.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Google can't search the archives.  It can search threads while they're active, though.

Well the thread I found was certainly archived. Try searching your screen name and see what happens.

SEE? Second result.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the thread I found was certainly active. Try searching your screen name and see what happens.

SEE? Second result.

Perhaps I should clarify –– Google can see thread titles in the archive server, and *maybe* the first post.  It can't see past that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure it gives the whole first page of an archived thread.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Uh Oh!

I bet you can break google if you search "In on one" !  

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

well now that's odd, it appears you're correct.  I thought everything past the first post was blocked to non-team members, which is the access Google would have.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well now that's odd, it appears you're correct.  I thought everything past the first post was blocked to non-team members, which is the access Google would have.

And I thought changing screen names was verboten here on Arfcom, I guess there are always exceptions.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I thought changing screen names was verboten here on Arfcom, I guess there are always exceptions.  

I have no idea to what you are referring...

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea to what you are referring...

Neither does Dusty.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Google is a team member.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:10:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Google is a team member.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#14]
All I know is google is better at finding shit in the search and archive than arfcom's own search engine....
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

All I know is google is better at finding shit in the search and archive than arfcom's own search engine....

Quoted for truth.  The ARFCOM search engine is dildos.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top