Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 8:06:09 PM EDT
Has anyone ever been to the Philippines?  What's the country like?  

I'm an American of Filipino descent.  Everytime I go the usual Filipino family gatherings,  I often hear the old folks telling me how much they miss the simple life living in the P.I.  and how they have maids who
help them around.  It seems as if they are trying to insinuate that living in the Philippines is better than living in the U.S.  To me, I think it's all a bunch of bull.  Everytime I see a documentary about the Philippines on TV, the country looks poor and crappy-looking.

A couple of years ago, my cousin and her husband visited the Philippines.  When she came back to the U.S., she said, "Visiting the Philippines makes you realize you appreciate living in the U.S. more.".  That tells me that life in the Philippines is not so great as the old folks pointed out.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems you've got your mind made up. No sense telling you otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It seems you've got your mind made up. No sense telling you otherwise.

Damn your fast.

Just couldn't keep myself to look the other way.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Has anyone ever been to the Philippines?  What's the country like?  

I'm an American of Filipino descent.  Everytime I go the usual Filipino family gatherings,  I often hear the old folks telling me how much they miss the simple life living in the P.I.  and how they have maids who
help them around.  It seems as if they are trying to insinuate that living in the Philippines is better than living in the U.S.  To me, I think it's all a bunch of bull.  Everytime I see a documentary about the Philippines on TV, the country looks poor and crappy-looking.

A couple of years ago, my cousin and her husband visited the Philippines.  When she came back to the U.S., she said, "Visiting the Philippines makes you realize you appreciate living in the U.S. more.".  That tells me that life in the Philippines is not so great as the old folks pointed out.

thats not a question, thats a statment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going for the first time this spring.  My wife has been living in America since 1992, hasn't been home to see her family since 1994, so she is excited to go back.

She has a lot of friends who go home to visit frequently.  Basically, it's a nice place to visit if you have money.  Or, it's a nice place to retire if you have some savings.  Living well is relatively cheap.  One of her friends has lived in America for 15 years, and has been saving money the whole time.  She and her husband are building a house right now in the PI, where they will retire to (at least part of the year).

However, it's still a Third World country.  Like most countries like this, the difference between the very poor and the very rich is huge.  Consider it like Cancun.  As long as you stay in the tourist areas, its not bad.  Venture out a few miles, and it's rough.

There is another active thread that talks about gun ownership over there.  You're only allowed to "officially" own two guns:  one handgun, one longgun.  That right there would be reason enough for me to only want to visit, never want to live there.  Hell, I refuse to go to certain states in America that have less restrictive gun laws than those.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother lived in Cebu for a few years. Learned tagolog and cebuano fluently. He loved the island and the people, but was not so fond of the MPA or whatever they're called, the muslim rebels down there. He and his buddies told me about one time they heard gunshots echoing through the jungle, minutes later they were passed by Phillippino army jeeps speeding past them into town. When the arrived into town there were two dead bodies propped up, shot to death, reminding people what happens when you work with terrorists.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Consider it like Cancun.  As long as you stay in the tourist areas, its not bad.  Venture out a few miles, and it's rough.

Actually I think you have it backwards.

I think you're not following me.  If you go to a place like Cancun, and stay at a resort, it'll be as nice and clean as most places in America.  Leave the resort, and it's Third World.  The same goes for the PI.  You can stay at a "five star" hotel in Manila for $100 / day, and live like a king.  Wander too far away, and life could get tough, very quick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#9]
What do they call that dish consisting of young birds still in their eggs, but with feathers?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What do they call that dish consisting of young birds still in their eggs, but with feathers?

baluit (?)

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#12]
i went to school there for a semester (de la salle unv)

its not a bad place--just overcrowded and polluted (everywhere--even the mountains/country)

if you have money, you can live there in relative luxury ( sounds like thats how your family lived) w/ maids and such

if you are poor, you either work like hell for near nothing or you are a squatter (dont leave your property unnattented for a while, they take it within the law)

city wise: its ok; heavily populated, crime was on the rise when i left (kidnappings, robberies, etc); guns are a big no-no (you jump though a million hurdels for a CCW)

outside of luzon, there are the muslim kidnappers and extreamists

i left b/c my parents were worried about the political instablity of the govt and corrupt pres arroyo--damn socilalist facisist biatch

most folks are pretty friendly though, just watch out as there will be those devout catholics who are just friendly as hell or those trying to steal your $$$s; the igorots up north i hears are pretty rough (my old JP Rizal(national hero) teacher said: "the mountain people/Igoriots have thier own laws and customs just like the old days, and they were brutal then; today, they are just the same, just w/ M16s"
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
The "old country" is always reminisced fondly by the old folks, it's universal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]
It depends on when you were there and were youm went.

I was in the phillippines back in the seventies and I'm sure things are very different now.

The old folks are probably reminiscing about the PI of at least thirty years ago.

Had some of the best times of my life with the filipino people and the countryside was just as beautiful as anyplace in the world.

Even had a filipino girlfriend whose brother was in the N.P.A,[new peoples army,aka, no permanent address].

So many islands, hideaways and rivers for fishing and hunting.

The peso is still probably good business for the dollar and with family connections to help out you owe it to yourself to fly down there and check it out.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I heard the whores are abundant and cheap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#16]
It's pretty, the weather is tropic, It has 4 main export products, pineaples, sugar, copra and other coconut based products, since those 3 are a glut on world markets the last export product is working people.

You get outside the main metro areas and it is a very 3rd world country.  Lots of places have insufficient or no electric power.

On some islands, you have very rich and the peasants. they have an ongoing conflict between the Mors (Moslemsin the south) and Christians in the North.

The NPA exploited the divisions between the rich and poor.  In some areas there are bandits loosely associated with the NPA or the Moros or freelancers.

There's a reason the old folks came over here and stayed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#17]
My only experience was in the USMC, I didn't get too far outside of Olongapo City (Subic Naval Base/ Cubi Point NAS). Olongapo was a typical Navy town witha third world flavor. Bars and hookers, hookers and bars. Poor, squalid and dangerous.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:30:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You heard right.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:52:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
My only experience was in the USMC, I didn't get too far outside of Olongapo City (Subic Naval Base/ Cubi Point NAS). Olongapo was a typical Navy town witha third world flavor. Bars and hookers, hookers and bars. Poor, squalid and dangerous.

+1
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Not to mention having to hire a raft guy to get you across 'shit river' to get back on base if the gate was closed and you were out in town during curfew. The jeepney ride out to bario barretta is fun when drunk...
Hot, Humid, NPA sparrow units out to off Americans, blue shirts hired to protect service types from the NPA were prolly working for the NPA anyways, lots of bugs. Didnt get to far from Subic Bay  just to dang dangerous, ya can get shanked by a local for a dollar in your pocket, place is definatly 3rd world economy
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
"Visiting the Philippines makes you realize you appreciate living in the U.S. more.".  That tells me that life in the Philippines is not so great as the old folks pointed out.

Been there many times and the above statement sums it up for me. Older fils feel that way because they were raised there. It will always be a place of fond memories for them. Kind of like when Americans move to a different place from their childhood.

Fils are some good people. The country is pretty but it's poor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:49:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I spent 28 days in Subic on TAD. Lots of free time .

They tell me I had a great time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:50:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Bili moko an inumine?

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:56:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

not any more. since we've left olongapo has cleaned up it's act and is a thriving commercial market. stay in the cities, stay on the roads, stay out of mindinao and you'll enjoy an exotic tropical country with friendly industrious people.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Bili moko an inumine?

buy me a drink?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Abundant, yes cheap not anymore. go to mindanao they love americans
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:37:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh man...Olongapo in its heyday.  Adult WallyWorld for the Fleet.  If you haven't been there, done that, you have no clue...if you have, you have memories of cold San Magoos, taxi rides with the radio blaring "Benictican!", mystery meat on a stick, baluts, gators and duckies, dozens of kids swimming in shit river for coins, LOUD cheesy music, outrageously decorated jitneys, smelly clubs and low maintenance LBFMs.

Strange...I remember several different brands of Filipino cops there too.  Lets see...we had the Phillipine Constabulary, the Zambalese police, Olongapo police...and one more IIRC...but I can't remember which one.  All of them had different guns...often their own IIRC.

What an unbelievable place...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:48:34 AM EDT
[#28]
It was part of Marine Corps folklore that everything was available for a few $$ in the Philippines, and that even the ugliest dude on the planet could go there and have any girl he wanted.    So...

I went wife shopping in PI back in '92.  Married the first girl I saw.  Literally, I hadn't even left the airport yet.  Had a bag of M&M's in one hand and an engagement ring in the other.

Just because a family has a maid doesn't mean that they are rich.  "Rich" is relative.  Even a poor person can find someone who is much poorer than they are to be a maid for them.

Yes, there are (or were) a lot of whores around, but the flip side is that the culture is very family oriented.

I went back on a business trip to Angeles City in 2002.  Coincidentally, my helicopter landed on my tenth wedding anniversary; it had been my first trip back.  This trip was considerably different than the earlier one.  Our movements were highly restricted, as it was too dangerous for us to leave the airport area.  We were told bluntly, "Past that intersection is NPA.  You go past intersection, you die."  Went back again in '03.  Same deal.

As far as life back in PI, there is a reason your relatives moved to the U.S..  Armed guards are everywhere (shotgun wielding guys at the entrance to the grocery store!).  The country is dirt poor, and is not likely to ever be anything other than dirt poor.  I think that this has something to do with the rampant corruption...

Other than that, it is a fun place to go on vacation (but Thailand is much more fun).  Where else can you be treated like royalty for simply whipping out a credit card at a Manila shopping mall?  A big detractor to the whole thing is that the quality of the available food is lousy by American standards.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Who hasn't been to the Philippines? I think we should re-open Subic and Clark so that our fighting men can have R&R away from US libtards. It'll help recruiting! "Kill some terrorists and take a vacation on the islands of the Orient Seas, sign up today".
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bili moko an inumine?

buy me a drink?

OO!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#31]
I visited the Phillipines 2 times in the late 90's while in the US Navy.   Definitely third world.  The thing that most sticks out in my memory was how utterly horrible the pollution in Manilla was.  It actually made my eyes burn.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Have any of you guys gone snorkeling or scuba diving in the Philippines? If you haven't, then you're missing out. I even went on a spearfishing trip, at night! There were fish all over the place. The guys on the boats carried M-16's to protect against communist/muslim rebels out on pirate raids and sharks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My only experience was in the USMC, I didn't get too far outside of Olongapo City (Subic Naval Base/ Cubi Point NAS).

When they closed Cubi Point, they crated up the o-club bar and sent it over here to Pensacola.  The bar, exactly as setup in the PI, is only about three miles from the house.  It's a pretty cool place.

Back in '92, I pretty much stayed right there in Olongapo at my future wife's house.  "I'm here to take your daughter to the Land of the Big PX".  Stayed there for weeks; eating rice at every meal and drinking San Miguel with my future grandfather in-law (cool stories about WWII experiences).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
When they closed Cubi Point, they crated up the o-club bar and sent it over here to Pensacola.  The bar, exactly as setup in the PI, is only about three miles from the house.  It's a pretty cool place.

THAT is pretty frigging cool!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Have any of you guys gone snorkeling or scuba diving in the Philippines? If you haven't, then you're missing out. I even went on a spearfishing trip, at night! There were fish all over the place. The guys on the boats carried M-16's to protect against communist/muslim rebels out on pirate raids and sharks.

one thing that beats this is going fishing with an M-16

+1 on the thread starter BTW. I look back at my flip heritage with pride and fondness. But it just makes me appreciate being here more where anyone can have all kinds of oppurtunity if they work hard, with freedoms (what's left of it) guarranteed by our constitution.

My family still have some property there. Unfortunately some are over-run by "squatters" ( living illegally in your land) that won't budge, and some are overun by NPA that i won't dare budge.

DD
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted: +1 on the thread starter BTW. I look back at my flip heritage with pride and fondness. But it just makes me appreciate being here more where anyone can have all kinds of oppurtunity if they work hard, with freedoms (what's left of it) guarranteed by our constitution.
One of the major reasons that the Philippines is in lousy shape is because the Spaniards used to run it. The former Spanish colonies are in bad shape, look at South/Central America. The former French colonies are in really bad shape, Haiti is an example. The British holdings are going OK to really good, examples are Jamaica, Australia, Hong Kong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I am sure somebody has been there.  I even heard that some people live there.  I am pretty sure Gen Macarthur went there a couple of times.  I have never been and have no desire to go.

Did you mean "Have any of you been to the Philippines?"
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I was born in Manila but came to the US when I was only a few months old.  I returned to visit relatives in when I was about 20 and I'll probably go back for my cousin's wedding later this year.  

The disparity between rich and poor is huge, as with any third world country.  There were lots of beggars, pickpockets and sqatters.  On the other hand life is very, very sweet in the Philippines for a select few.  I had the opportunity to visit the Manila Polo Club and attend a couple of parties in a wealthy area called Forbes Park.  The mansions in Forbes Park were enormous!  The private security guards I saw were armed with M16s if I recall correctly.    

My relatives tell me that life in the Philippines is great IF you have money.  That's why many Filipinos come to the US with plans of returning after they retire.  A decent pension in US dollars can go a long way over there.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#39]
My wife was at the mall or something the other day and saw her neighbor from the Philippines.  Small world.  She and her husband are saving up their money to retire in PI.

I've chatted over the ham radio with quite a few retired military members (both U.S. and foreign) over the years who retired to the Philippines.  You can live well on a pension over there.  I could never get over the concerns with being a criminal/ terrorist target.  Not to mention the safety of my children...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I think it isn't fair to call the Philippines a third world country they're way pass that notion..
If you go to Makati, Manila, Alabang, etc.. they have way better malls, manufacturing companies even high tech companies, etc..than some States in the US or provinces in Canada.
And just like most country..there's whore, poor and wealthy even homeless.
But Pilipino's even the're poor knows how to enjoy life and what little they have.

I love The US as much as I love the Philippines.

Trigger

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted: +1 on the thread starter BTW. I look back at my flip heritage with pride and fondness. But it just makes me appreciate being here more where anyone can have all kinds of oppurtunity if they work hard, with freedoms (what's left of it) guarranteed by our constitution.
One of the major reasons that the Philippines is in lousy shape is because the Spaniards used to run it. The former Spanish colonies are in bad shape, look at South/Central America. The former French colonies are in really bad shape, Haiti is an example. The British holdings are going OK to really good, examples are Jamaica, Australia, Hong Kong.

Agree.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Planning a trip in the next year or so.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted: I think it isn't fair to call the Philippines a third world country they're way pass that notion.. If you go to Makati, Manila, Alabang, etc.. they have way better malls, manufacturing companies even high tech companies, etc..than some States in the US or provinces in Canada.
I took apart an old computer years ago and the Intel CPU was marked "Made in the Philippines".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top