Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 2:22:59 AM EST

I recieved an excellent condition Harris Bipod from a member here as part of a trade deal. But, how do I mount the thing to my rifle? No instructions were included with it, and I don't see an instruction manual on the internet, after checking Google. I know they mount to the quick detachable stud on most rifles, but I could use some pictures or detailed instructions. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:24:44 AM EST
What kind of rifle are you putting it on?
If its going on an AR front grip, you need the Harris #5 mounting stud
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:27:31 AM EST

I have several I would like to mount it on at different times. 20" AR, Enfield, M1A currently.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:31:58 AM EST
on the AR, you will need that #5 stud (i think they cost around $5-10)
For the other rifles, you need a threaded mounting stud that can be fixed into the stock.

The base of the bipod will have a spreading arm with two pins that "grab" the mounted stud...once you have all the parts together, its fairly self explanatory....i have bought two brand new, and neither came with detailed instructions.

Also, when mounted correctly, the legs fold forward, toward the muzzle, not back toward you.
If they did, the recoil would fold the bipod up when you fired the weapon!

Good luck - if it doubt, go to the shop and have the salesguy demo one...it takes about 30 seconds to install
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:58:22 AM EST
Also, when mounted correctly, the legs fold forward, toward the muzzle, not back toward you.

BZZZT think about it. Which way does the rifle try to go under recoil and whichway would the legs try to fold?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:12:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By PaDanby:

BZZZT think about it. Which way does the rifle try to go under recoil and whichway would the legs try to fold?

Ok, "technically" its not the actual recoil....its the shooter bracing against or pushing against the recoil. On a 5.56...you may never even notice....mount that bipod on a 30.06 backwards and see how long it stays extended
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:19:12 PM EST
Another question for anyone who might know, about the Harris "swivel" models. Please tell me which way describes the way it swivels.

When the Harris S model bipod is mounted on your rifle, and you're looking down the sights,

Does the rifle move left and right like windshield wipers move, i.e. "roll"?

Or, does the swivel allow you to move the stock of the rifle left and right as if to "scan the horizon" i.e "yaw"?

Or both?

I'm reading some good comments about the Harris bipods but don't want one that won't allow me to move the rifle point of aim left and right along the horizon. Does the Versapod or any other bipod allow this movement?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:25:51 PM EST
It rolls. It is mostly so that you can level the rifle on uneven ground. It doesn't scan and I don't think anyone makes one that does. It is not to hard to scan right or left anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:32:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2004 4:35:59 PM EST by nightstalker]
Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but the #5 mounting stud is attached to the bottom handguard at around the 3rd hole (that's where mine is) so you need to remove the handguards.

The up and down is no problem but there isn't a swivel on mine, as such and the bipod rubber legs will skid as you adjust left and right. Not sure about swivel models.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:45:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ratters:
It rolls. It is mostly so that you can level the rifle on uneven ground. It doesn't scan and I don't think anyone makes one that does. It is not to hard to scan right or left anyhow.

Thanks Ratters
Top Top