Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2008 11:49:56 AM EDT
I have a 12-inch PowerBook. Before the Mac-bashing begins, my question is one that works for either a Mac or PC.

Started my computer last night. Had used it all day without issue, but it would not completely start up when I got home.

I ran TechTool Pro, a fairly good diagnostic and repair tool for Macs. Long story short, the drive won't read/write.

Is there any hope of either un-sticking this drive and getting it to work again? Does anyone know of a service where I can send the drive in hopes of recovering the photos, presentations, files, etc., that I put on the drive since my last back-up?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Cruze,

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it another whirl.

Have a back-up drive, but haven't used it in a month. And it's been a BUSY month.

If the read/write test won't work, that (I guess) means that the R/W arm isn't functioning. Have you heard of someone being able to recover data from such a drive, or perhaps even repairing it?
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Might be worth it. Several work projects. A couple months of family photos. My entire music collection.

Are we talking hundreds of dollars? Or deep into hundreds and beyond?

I appreciate your knowledge on this one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Gents,

A quick update. My local Mac dealer was able to recover nearly all of the data. Don't ask me how. The read/write function was totally locked when I tried to recover using three different programs.

Long story short, I'm glad I was able to get back the data that was lost. Bought a TimeCapsule so this won't happen again.

Thanks, Cruze, for your advise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top