Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/4/2008 11:49:56 AM EDT
I have a 12-inch PowerBook. Before the Mac-bashing begins, my question is one that works for either a Mac or PC.

Started my computer last night. Had used it all day without issue, but it would not completely start up when I got home.

I ran TechTool Pro, a fairly good diagnostic and repair tool for Macs. Long story short, the drive won't read/write.

Is there any hope of either un-sticking this drive and getting it to work again? Does anyone know of a service where I can send the drive in hopes of recovering the photos, presentations, files, etc., that I put on the drive since my last back-up?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:38:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:40:44 PM EDT
Cruze,

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it another whirl.

Have a back-up drive, but haven't used it in a month. And it's been a BUSY month.

If the read/write test won't work, that (I guess) means that the R/W arm isn't functioning. Have you heard of someone being able to recover data from such a drive, or perhaps even repairing it?
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 2:50:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/4/2008 2:51:22 PM EDT by cruze5]
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 3:08:38 PM EDT
Might be worth it. Several work projects. A couple months of family photos. My entire music collection.

Are we talking hundreds of dollars? Or deep into hundreds and beyond?

I appreciate your knowledge on this one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:07:30 PM EDT
Gents,

A quick update. My local Mac dealer was able to recover nearly all of the data. Don't ask me how. The read/write function was totally locked when I tried to recover using three different programs.

Long story short, I'm glad I was able to get back the data that was lost. Bought a TimeCapsule so this won't happen again.

Thanks, Cruze, for your advise.
Top Top