Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2002 9:27:56 PM EDT
What do you do? Mine are just fine but I think about it. I can be a real bastard but when it comes to dogs I'm just a big softie. I don't even like to think about crap like this but I want to be prepared. I'm not one for pet cemetaries. Kinda too much for me. Plus around here the price would be ridiculous. And if I ever move it would be wasted money and they probably dig the pets up and resell the plots every 10 years anyway. I almost don't wanna know what happens to your buddy if you let a vet make "the arrangemnets." My gut tells me the thing to do is to bury him in the yard. It ain't legal but I'd never give a shit. Only problem is this, I'm not sure if I will always live here. If I did move I'm not sure I could exume my dog. Not exactly something you put in the moving van. But I wouldn't want to leave him behind either. I'd fell like I abandoned my buddy and I'd worry about him being disturbed at some future date. Say the next owners decide to put in a pool. It is for reasons like this that I wish I had family property that would be in the family for generations. What would you guys do? Anything I didn't think of? And yes I know I'm a big pussy. If it was a goldfish, it would be flushed but my dogs are family.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:30:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 9:31:14 PM EDT by Wolfpack]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:31:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 9:31:40 PM EDT by Confederate]
Bury him in the back yard, I promise you if you move 5 years from now you wont even think of the dog, and yes you are a big pussy![:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:32:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 9:33:28 PM EDT by ColonelKlink]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:42:35 PM EDT
Do it yourself cremation kit. 1. Match 2. Accelerant 3. Location Works good.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:46:37 PM EDT
My feeling and my answer when the vet asked me that question about my old collie was that it didn't really matter as he was through with the earthly remains and wasn't using them any more. marsh
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:48:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By marsh: My feeling and my answer when the vet asked me that question about my old collie was that it didn't really matter as he was through with the earthly remains and wasn't using them any more. marsh
View Quote
I know that, it's more of a respect thing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:53:52 PM EDT
I sem to be in the same shoes as you StyerAUG. Except that I am blessed to have Family land in the country that I'm going to bury them at when the time comes. Monday I had to inform my neighbor that his dog had been run over;and what he wanted me to do with his dog(he was out of town that morning) BTW...dude let the dog out earlier that morning and was too lazy to retrieve the dog and left her to run around the busy neighborhood. The kicker... HE TOLD ME TO "DISPOSE OF IT"!!!! F*CK THAT!!! I love my dogs.They depend on me,and are my buddies. so...I retrived the little dog(toy dog)and carried her to his front yard and buried her under his front yard shade tree so every time he sits under that tree,he will see "little sweet pea's"(dogs name for real)grave and be reminded of how lazy he is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:54:23 PM EDT
I understand that but I feel that he is still with me even though he passed 20 years ago. I still miss him but I know I'll see him soon. marsh
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:55:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:02:55 PM EDT
Well, All the guys that replied above about being big pussy's when is comes to dog's... I hear ya! Anyway, I have thought about this as my Beagle is over 5 years old and I realize he won't be around forever. If you were living somewhere that you knew you wouldn't be leaving I would most likely bury him in the back yard in a special location. My other thought was taking him to a nice place and burying him somewhere that I knew where he was and would be a place he would like to be. Like the forest or a huge field, someplace you know there never going to build a house on out in the middle of nowhere etc. After talking to my wife we also thought about having him cremated and keeping him in an urn. I'm not sure If I want to do that because what if some idiot dumps it on the carpet or it breaks etc. I'm not going to feel to good about sucking him up in a dustbuster. I know someone who put there pet in their freezer in their basement because they knew they would be moving and wanted to bury there pet in the new yard. Trust me this is not a good idea as frozen things thaw when the power goes out etc. Later, John
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:03:46 PM EDT
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean SA. Same thing here. Since my dog has been with me for 18 years and is beginning to slow down, I think about this quite a bit lately. The only people I've known longer than this dog is my family, it's hard to believe. One thing's for sure, there's no way in hell I'm burying him in Florida where I currently live. There's something so temporary about this place it's unreal. Besides the ground is nothing but sand around here, good lord. He and I spent most of our lives in North Alabama on the family land (40 acres that I don't see us ever selling) so when he dies I'm planning on cremating his remains and will be taking him on his final trip back home. On the other hand...the good news is that the oldest dog on record (28yrs) was the same breed as he is (Blue Heeler) so who knows, maybe he'll be taking *me* back there instead. [:D]Oh yeah, can't let this opportunity pass.... [img]http://www.digitaldustbin.com/blue.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:10:08 PM EDT
I don't know. I put mine in the feild (since we're in the country). May pets out there. Had to use the back hoe... big dog. I ended up getting a CAV-15 w/ his name, birth and death year as serial number..... This may sound "off", but I wish I had some of his DNA........ But I probably wouldn't know how to preseve it. I guess I can't have a 'copy' of my beloved dog........
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:13:59 PM EDT
The last dog we had put down was cremated and the ashes spread on a farm. Corny, I know, but we felt better about it. Not sure how I would deal with our two current babies passing as they are really our kids. I was a wreck for about a week when our rat died. He's in the backyard with a tombstone.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:24:36 PM EDT
news flash for Steyr Aug.............. [size=6][red][b]IT'S JUST A FREAKING DOG!!!![/b][/red][/size=6] You may now return to your regular "Hey...Look at me" posts.[;)] Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 10:29:56 PM EDT by Luavul]
Observer, I couldn't hardly look at the pic of your dog w/o getting choked up. I can't imagine how attached you must be to a dog that you've had that long. I had a beagle(house dog)stolen from my in-law's yard last fall that still tears me up and I only had her for 3 years. Not that it's a short time but not like 18 Years. Edited to say 18 years!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:46:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sgtar15: news flash for Steyr Aug.............. [size=6][red][b]IT'S JUST A FREAKING DOG!!!![/b][/red][/size=6] You may now return to your regular "Hey...Look at me" posts.[;)] Sgtar15
View Quote
To some in Africa a AR15 is just a means to kill people. Some of us place a higher value on things for personal reasons. A dog is just a dog. But mine is different. Mine adds to my life. Mine protect me and my wife. Mine are loyal and do so much more than just piss, shit and eat. So mine are no longer "just dogs."
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:48:03 PM EDT
Wrap the dog up in an old blanket or something, then go the nearest public land/forest(bring a shovel). Start digging a hole(make sure it's deep enough...sux having some fvcking coyotes dig up your dog and body parts laying all over the woods). Put the dog in the hole and fill it up. **optional** keep an eye out for critters that are hanging around when you bury your dog...they may just wait for you to leave and start digging(see above)...you are authorized to take them out with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:26:46 PM EDT
If you have a neighbor you particularly dislike, wait a few days and then catapult (or dogapult) the corpse into his yard. Cats, on the other claw, should have a small pyramid built for them, and they should be mummified, including having their entrails removed into the appropriate canopic jars. The procession need not be long; a few hundred people and slaves, including the ritual slaughter of a few of the latter to provide servants for the cat in the afterlife.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:01:54 AM EDT
My dog is resting at a pet cemetary. Cost was a little over $1,000.00 w/upright marker and $30.00 a year afterwards. Only my fish are burried in the backyard.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 3:02:40 AM EDT
Damn, Steyr - you've got a [b]soft[/b] side???? [:D] To answer your question, I've buried both dogs I've lost in the last 15 years in the yards they grew up in, where they ran and played. The first, Bandit - my 13 year old Border Collie was buried in my Mom & Dad's yard. The second one, Bridget - a very (way too) young Sheltie Collie, was buried in the spot where she used to lay and wait for me to come home from work. It just seems fitting to me. As far as "What if I move?"...Neither of them will ever run the new location. I'm leaving them where they were happy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:23:26 AM EDT
My faithful companion of the past 13 years is Scooter, a tri-color beagle. When the time comes for him to go on ahead of me into what has been called 'life's greatest adventure', a suitable place has already been chosen for him to rest his weary bones. I have a family farm in West Texas. It's been in my family since 1885. There are the foundations of the first house built by my great, great grandfather, Capt. John Teague (1823 - 1904), 23rd Texas Cav., CSA. My grandmother was born in that house in 1900, and my father was born in that same house in 1923. The house has long since been moved into nearby Crowell, Texas, and, since the 50s, has been lived in by some of my cousins. But the foundations still remain on the farm, along with a stone cistern, and a cement storm cellar that was built in 1943. It is next to this storm cellar that Scooter will find his final resting place, and I know that, until I join him, I will sit on that old storm cellar and look out onto the wheat fields and see in my mind's eye, that little white mast of a tail of his sail past, as he busily chases the jackrabbits through the tall, green wheat! Every time I dream of my father, who died in 1977, the dream takes place at that farm, and at the cabin that my father's sister and I built there for us. I dream one day that I will walk there again through those fields, with my father, and with Scooter running to and fro before us. If I had my druthers, I'd be content to be buried by Scooter's side. Eric The(FaithfulFriend,AsWell)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:41:13 AM EDT
I wholeheartedly agree....I feel the same way about my boys. I have enough land now that I can bury them here at home if need be. The only pet I have lost so far was my cat when I was 18. I am not too much of a cat fan, but this cat thought he was a dog, all my friends couldn't believe how he carried himself. He used to always sleep in my bed, except every hour or so he would cruise the house and look out all the windows. He galloped like my GSD, followed you around sometimes and sat at your feet, and he always came to your feet when you called his name, instead of looking at you with that f-you look cats are so revered for. He was a real big tabby with a bushy racoon tail, and had a sing song voice that was the opposite of his big tomcat appearence. He was the kewlest cat ever. My mom started letting him outside (we lived in town at the time too). I chewed her ass for it everytime, she didn't listen. Then came the day I came home from work at 0400, and up the street by the alley looked like a big racoon smooshed in the road. I knew it was him right away. From the blood trail, it was apparent that he got hit right on the centerline...some asshole made sure he hit him. He lived long enough to make it a few feet back toward the house. Anyway, back to the point!!!! I took him and buried him at my favorite hunting spot on DNR land, on top of a hill overlooking a river, facing the sunset. It was the coolest place I could think of, and I get to visit him every year. I bawled like a frigging baby, and I also have a rep (at least in real life, not on the internet yet) for being the hard case. I will probably be a wreck when my two boys have to go on!
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:43:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:44:36 AM EDT
Dumpster Run during the night...
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:58:55 AM EDT
We have some family property, so there are several dogs buried on it. When my parents dog died during the winter they decided to go with cremation. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't as high as I thought it would be. With all the concers regarding funeral homes, I would definately try to find a reputable one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:09:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sgtar15: news flash for Steyr Aug.............. [size=6][red][b]IT'S JUST A FREAKING DOG!!!![/b][/red][/size=6] You may now return to your regular "Hey...Look at me" posts.[;)] Sgtar15
View Quote
yes, it's just a freaking dog. it's only a constant companion of 15 or 20 years who can teach you more than you'd ever deserve to know about loyalty and trust and affection. youre right, not important, not at all.[}:(]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:17:29 AM EDT
Wow, good topic Steyr. I feel the exact same way about this, and have been thinking about it alot myself lately. I don't like the idea of a cemetary, but I also don't like the idea of my buddy's ashes floating down the river to some hell-hole either. Very, very tough.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:20:53 AM EDT
Your dog dying is just another example of God allowing evil to exist in the world.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:28:09 AM EDT
Oh, and my dog is not "just a dog". I've been through thick and thin with him, and he means so much, I hate even the thought of him leaving. But, he had a seizer a few weeks ago, and I guess I started to realize that although he still acts like a puppy (7yo Black lab male, 80lbs.), he just won't live forever. A troubling thought to say the least, and one that has kept me awake many nights.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:43:46 AM EDT
Here's what I alway's thought I'd do. The wife says its creepy. [url]http://www.summum.org/mummification/pets/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:43:55 AM EDT
My dogs will be placed into a pressure treated wood box and buried deep under the old maple tree, the old maple tree is where we burry all our pets that leave this world. It's a nice setting that we pass by each day. [:|]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:05:27 AM EDT
I'll bury him in the yard, and plant something over his grave. Preferably a tree.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:22:45 AM EDT
We had to put our dog down over the holidays, and we chose cremation. I think the base rate was around $250 for the "personal" ceremony, where you see your pet's body beforehand and watch them put it into the machine. This way, you are sure what you are getting back is really your animal's remains and not some fireplace ashes because they just ended up dumping your dog's body in the woods. We elected to do this vs. burying her in the backyard as we knew we would be moving at one point. If you can, try to find a place that will let you bring the pet in yourself. Our vet could have handled everything with regards to the cremation, but that meant our dog would have been literally frozen solid (as opposed to just climate controlled), wrapped in a plastic bag in their freezer for a month before the pet cemetary made their next scheduled pickup. That didn't quite seem right, so we elected to make the drive over to the place with her the next day instead. Regarding the in-home euthanasia - our vet hinted to us that it was not quite legal any longer, as the stuff they use is considered a controlled substance. She did it anyway, and I know she didn't say that just to try to justify charging us some extra $$$. Rocko
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:30:24 AM EDT
I dont know if anyone here would put their own dog down by them sevles ? A bullet only cost $0.10 compare to a vet bill $$$ I sure know that I couldnt do it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:44:15 AM EDT
Had my Rotty cremated, was about $300 total at Pet Heaven. They even have an after-hours pick-up service, which was great. Here's a link to the place, they're in Dade : http://www.pet-heaven.com/
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:57:56 AM EDT
I had to put my best buddy down last Thursday. It was the hardest thing I have had to do in my life. I buried her in the back yard. No way my dog was going to a fertilizer factory. Not sure if I will get another dog, jsut to damn hard to part with.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:52:55 AM EDT
Sgtar got me thinking. What is the worst way you could repay your dogs loyalty? I have a Grandfather on the other side of the family who owned a Beagle. Dog spent 9 years living on the back porch with little or no human contact other than refilling the food and water dish. Don't even understand why he had the dog. Anyway when the dogs time is imminent he packs up the pooch into the car, the dogs very first car ride, and drives him to a large city park a couple towns over and lets him out to fend for himself. The dog had never learned to provide it's own food. I'm sure he died, cold, lonely and hungry. Which is exactly how this shitbag will go out if there is any justice. I look forward to his funeral, I will be the guy with popcorn and a coke. I hope to share this and other stories with the mourners. Once I have taken a 2 gallon piss on his final resting place I will call us even.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:59:16 AM EDT
Steyr, That is seriously f&cked up. I hope that bastard burns in hell. What a piece of sh*t. Drink an extra gallon of water before you piss on him for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:03:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ApacheBL: Steyr, That is seriously f&cked up. I hope that bastard burns in hell. What a piece of sh*t. Drink an extra gallon of water before you piss on him for me.
View Quote
Not surprisingly he has alienated most of his family. His children have all turned on him and my last official contact was repainting his house. I'm not sure he liked it. One BIG 4 ft. high Black spray painted wavy line going clear around the otherwise white painted house.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:20:42 AM EDT
Just had to put down my 11yr old Mini Schnuzer on Saturday. Agreed that it is the hardest thing to do. Had her cremated and she will sit in a place of honor in her home.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:38:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: Sgtar got me thinking.
View Quote
That'sa first!! I understand people loving a pet. I love all my pets,past and present. However, when the time comes I will not waste any money having them buried, I will do the job myself. What really gets me is how someof you place ahigher value on an animals life then you do a human life. Rather sad really. Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:52:26 AM EDT
Dogs are people too.... [:|]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 10:05:30 AM EDT
When I bought my beagle, Scooter, 13 years ago coming up this Fourth of July, the folks who were raising him told me a few things that they learned over the years raising beagles. First, if you do not have one solid hour per day for some one-on-one personal contact and interaction with a beagle, don't buy one. They are incredibly social animals and crave human attantion more than anything else. I know that's a fact, for when I return home from work every afternoon, Scooter will follow me around the house until I take time to give him his deserved attention. And until I give him that attention he will not leave me alone. The idea of someone dropping off a beagle after years of neglect, in a park to 'fend for itself', is something right out of an Edgar Allen Poe story to me. Mark Twain once said: [b]Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.[/b] And, again: [b]The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.[/b] - Letter to W. D. Howells, 4/2/1899 Eric The(BeagleOwning)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:05:59 PM EDT
We have a place out back for our "friends". I'm sure that in 200 years someone will stumble onto our little cemetary and say that we were sacraficing animals. There's a few of them out there already and our other dogs are getting old. Like me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:08:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sgtar15:
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: Sgtar got me thinking.
View Quote
That'sa first!! I understand people loving a pet. I love all my pets,past and present. However, when the time comes I will not waste any money having them buried, I will do the job myself. What really gets me is how someof you place ahigher value on an animals life then you do a human life. Rather sad really. Sgtar15
View Quote
Don't make me post "the list" again...
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:13:40 PM EDT
What list is that StyerAUG?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 3:56:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MAC-DADDY: What list is that StyerAUG?
View Quote
People whose lives are of less value than my dogs. Even Sgtar was forced to agree.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:05:16 PM EDT
I love my Dogs, man this talk makes me sad !
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:17:39 PM EDT
I bury all my pets in the back yard. I have lived in one of the three houses that sit right here almost all my life, so I have a few burried now. From coon dogs hit crossing the road to the ferret that my bird dog got a hold of. I still remember where they all are and think of them often. I also have never had a pet put to sleep. I cant stand the thought of my dogs last moments being in a cold vets somewhere and being scared. All that needed put down I have done myself. It sucks, but I feel it is part of my responsibility as a pet owner not to let them suffer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2002 4:25:17 PM EDT by ARgon]
four dogs. Chuckwagon died at 16 Nanook at 20 Higgons at 7 All buried behind the house with rocks over the grave. I still stop up and talk to them. They were family! the 4th one is still with us at 11.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top