Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2009 6:19:40 AM EDT
...the original "reason for the season."

I find holidays and their origins fascinating. I'll be doing some extra reading today on ancient astronomers and cultures, and how they learned about and celebrated the Solstice.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#1]
So we have finally reached the bottom, time to start getting lighter outside!!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's the way I feel about it.  

Starting tomorrow, the days get longer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep today is the shortest day of the year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Time to drop the Yule log and burn it for 12 days.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Merry Christmas

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

F Yeah!

summer's on the way baby

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Winter Solstice is the day symbolic of the rebirth of the sun, for it is on this day that the sun will begin to be closer to the earth. Here is a little background information on the significance of this day.

The Phoenicians gave us the wheel neatly dissected into 360 equal parts or degrees. The Phoenicians saw the year as a circle and created the earliest form of our present day calendar, calling it a 364 day year. The four extra days marked the circle much like North, South, East and West inscribes a compass, with each of these four days a cornerstone. These ultimately would be called Winter Solstice - the day with the most hours of darkness in the day, Summer Solstice with the most hours of daylight, and the two equinoxes neatly marking the Spring and Autumn midpoints.

These four days were 'spirit' days in which it was believed we could see into the spirit world. They became causes of celebrations, noting another passage of another year. The Spring Equinox might be a time to plant, the Summer Solstice marking a time for the bounty of the fruits of their labor. The Autumn Equinox marked the end of the harvest and the Winter Solstice marked the end of the year, much like the night marks the end of another day.

The spiritual ramifications of Yule are profound for both neo-pagans and Christians. For Christians, the birth of Christ means a turning point between eternal death and eternal life. Devout Christians celebrate Christmas as the beginning of a new spiritual age of eternal life. For neo-pagans and non-Christians, Yule is also a time of spiritual beginnings. The Winter Solstice is the turning point in the natural cycle of the year. Because Yule signifies the completion of the wheel of the year, the period around the Winter Solstice is considered to be a good time for spiritual work.

Some neo-pagans believe the dark nights of winter are when the veil between the spirit world and the living world is the thinnest. It is therefore an appropriate time for self-examination and meditation on hidden energies-both the energies lying dormant within the earth, and also those within ourselves. Yule traditions celebrate nature's renewal, and help affirm our connection to the energy and power of the earth and the cosmos.

It is also a reflection of one's personal journey. On any adventure (including one's entire life) there is a birth, a mid-life, a sunset and a death. The belief in death and resurrection is universal. Perhaps it is reincarnation or perhaps it is a heaven, but that there is something beyond death. The Winter Solstice celebrations can reflect this. A Winter Solstice, then, can be a spiritual moment for an individual to contemplate their own mortality, their own dark moments, and that there will be light on ahead.

Here is a holiday Winter Solstice ritual for all things white and glorious!  Within your circle, place some holly or mistletoe on your altar. Also a twig which you have rubbed with olive oil and allowed to dry, in a fire-proof bowl or ash tray on your altar. Ignite the holly or mistletoe and the twig. Watch the sacred burning with reverence.  Say this Winter Solstice Prayer: "Who gives birth to the divide child? The great Mother is the giver of life. Gracious Lady, give rebirth to the Sun in my heart and life. I give thanks. So mote it be!"
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Time to drop the Yule log and burn it for 12 days.

You need more fiber in your diet.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#11]
We're in yer calendar, stealin' yer holidays.

Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#12]
HAPPY SOLSTICE
and
FESTIVE YULETIDE.

May the
imprudently jovial behaviour
begin!

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
HAPPY SOLSTICE
and
FESTIVE YULETIDE.

May the
imprudently jovial behaviour
begin!

What she said!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#16]

AllFather Woden
Leads the Wild Hunt

in the

Yuletide Sky
TONIGHT

Lots of Shivery Goodness
with
Ancient Tales of War and Woe

May the Yule Log Fire Burn Bright
in
Your Hearth Tonight!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#17]
hey wait a min..

so the birth of the son.. is in fact the rebirth of the sun?

missle toe is a offering of sorts (not kissing)..

OMGWTFBBQ!!!eleven!!!

IT ALL MAKES SENCE!  

So in fact we are celebrating a pagen holiday. Satan=Santa!

Im getting dizzy. got to sit down..
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

hey wait a min..

missile toe is a offering of sorts (not kissing)..

OMGWTFBBQ!!!eleven!!!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE!  

So in fact we are celebrating a pagan holiday. Satan=Santa!

Yes, Santa Clause is the pagan god of the Winter Solstice.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Sol Invictus day will be here soon!

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
hey wait a min..

missile toe is a offering of sorts (not kissing)..

OMGWTFBBQ!!!eleven!!!

IT ALL MAKES SENSE!  

So in fact we are celebrating a pagan holiday. Satan=Santa!

Yes, Santa Clause is the pagan god of the Winter Solstice.

I FUCKING KNEW IT!

all this time I knew somthing just didnt add up!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#21]
AllFather Woden chooses the longest night of the year to lead the other Gods, and the warriors in Valhalla on a recon mission around the world, to see what is going on.

This is known as the Wild Hunt, when they stream through the night sky on white horses.

It is a jovial time of revelry for the Gods and warriors, and they like to stop by and visit people who offer them food and drink.

The Wild Hunt is still known in American culture and folklore, but has been transmuted into legends of such things as Ghost Riders

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Winter Solstice is the day symbolic of the rebirth of the sun, for it is on this day that the sun will begin to be closer to the earth. Here is a little background information on the significance of this day.

Happy Winter Solstice to everyone also!  The first sentence in the quote above is kinda puzzling...hasn't the earth been moving closer to the sun since July 4th (the date the earth was at aphelion)?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
hey wait a min..

missle toe is a offering of sorts (not kissing)..

OMGWTFBBQ!!!eleven!!!

IT ALL MAKES SENCE!  

So in fact we are celebrating a pagen holiday. Satan=Santa!

Almost right.  Santa is the Devil not Satan.  The two had nothing to do with each other for the longest time, then they were morphed together.  Saint Nick is Saint the Devil.  Nick is an old name for the Devil.  The Devil or Debil has to do with harvest.    Think burning people alive to insure a good crop.  It is European.    There were some water sprites added in there also.

It was Zoraster worship that had an evil god. Christianity is structured like that religion.   The three Magi were priest of that religion.  They represented the three Green Tree  traveling gods that always came from the East and lived in  a tree.  When they saddled up during the old Manger astrological sign, they were telling people to just substitute the new god for the old one.

Ho Ho Ho  Happy Holidays no matter what you celebrate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I love when the days get longer. I need my sunlight. I hate going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Phoenicians gave us the wheel neatly dissected into 360 equal parts or degrees. The Phoenicians saw the year as a circle and created the earliest form of our present day calendar, calling it a 364 day year. The four extra days marked the circle much like North, South, East and West inscribes a compass, with each of these four days a cornerstone. These ultimately would be called Winter Solstice - the day with the most hours of darkness in the day, Summer Solstice with the most hours of daylight, and the two equinoxes neatly marking the Spring and Autumn midpoints.

These four days were 'spirit' days in which it was believed we could see into the spirit world. They became causes of celebrations, noting another passage of another year. The Spring Equinox might be a time to plant, the Summer Solstice marking a time for the bounty of the fruits of their labor. The Autumn Equinox marked the end of the harvest and the Winter Solstice marked the end of the year, much like the night marks the end of another day.

The spiritual ramifications of Yule are profound for both neo-pagans and Christians. For Christians, the birth of Christ means a turning point between eternal death and eternal life. Devout Christians celebrate Christmas as the beginning of a new spiritual age of eternal life. For neo-pagans and non-Christians, Yule is also a time of spiritual beginnings. The Winter Solstice is the turning point in the natural cycle of the year. Because Yule signifies the completion of the wheel of the year, the period around the Winter Solstice is considered to be a good time for spiritual work.

Some neo-pagans believe the dark nights of winter are when the veil between the spirit world and the living world is the thinnest. It is therefore an appropriate time for self-examination and meditation on hidden energies-both the energies lying dormant within the earth, and also those within ourselves. Yule traditions celebrate nature's renewal, and help affirm our connection to the energy and power of the earth and the cosmos.

It is also a reflection of one's personal journey. On any adventure (including one's entire life) there is a birth, a mid-life, a sunset and a death. The belief in death and resurrection is universal. Perhaps it is reincarnation or perhaps it is a heaven, but that there is something beyond death. The Winter Solstice celebrations can reflect this. A Winter Solstice, then, can be a spiritual moment for an individual to contemplate their own mortality, their own dark moments, and that there will be light on ahead.

Here is a holiday Winter Solstice ritual for all things white and glorious!  Within your circle, place some holly or mistletoe on your altar. Also a twig which you have rubbed with olive oil and allowed to dry, in a fire-proof bowl or ash tray on your altar. Ignite the holly or mistletoe and the twig. Watch the sacred burning with reverence.  Say this Winter Solstice Prayer: "Who gives birth to the divide child? The great Mother is the giver of life. Gracious Lady, give rebirth to the Sun in my heart and life. I give thanks. So mote it be!"

The distance the sun is from the earth has nothing to do with the seasons. It's the attitude of angle of Earth's axis. The sun is actually closer to the Earth in the NH winter.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Summer is on its way, Yea
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
AllFather Woden chooses the longest night of the year to lead the other Gods, and the warriors in Valhalla on a recon mission around the world, to see what is going on.

This is known as the Wild Hunt, when they stream through the night sky on white horses.

It is a jovial time of revelry for the Gods and warriors, and they like to stop by and visit people who offer them food and drink.

The Wild Hunt is still known in American culture and folklore, but has been transmuted into legends of such things as Ghost Riders

did a quick google on that.. Damn cool story..
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Isn't today the day you can make a candycane stand on its end?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#29]
From now on, more Sunlight everyday
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#30]
One of my favorite days of the year, now the days get longer.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Merry Yuletide to all.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#32]
12/21/12
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

12/21/12

OMGWTFBBQ!!!?!?!11eleventyPONE!!!

We had a nice little cheery thread going here and you have to bring this tinfoil hat stuff in.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Hlas Jiula!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

12/21/12

OMGWTFBBQ!!!?!?!11eleventyPONE!!!

We had a nice little cheery thread going here and you have to bring this tinfoil hat stuff in.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Actually it was meant to cheer everyone up.........what God has in store for us has to be better than what Washington is doing to us.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I love this day. Even though it will be a while yet before I can start to actually see the difference, I feel better knowing that each day is just a little bit longer than the last.

This 30 minutes of gray daylight that I get each day (not exaggerating) gets to be a real drag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Hoooray!!!  More daylight is on it's way!!  

Ohhh, and light that Yule log or whatever they call it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Today is also Global Orgasm for Peace Day.
Just sayin'.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Yuletide Greetings! Happy Solstice!
Time to light the fire tonight!

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm looking forward to a bit more daylight.

Short daylight today for sure. Local sunrise is 8:06am & sunset: 4:59pm just a little more than 15hrs of dark.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Just sayin'.

Man, if that "161" on the home page is their visitor count, they're going to think they got some major publicity from SOMEWHERE...

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just sayin'.  

We covered that this morning before we got up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love this day. Even though it will be a while yet before I can start to actually see the difference, I feel better knowing that each day is just a little bit longer than the last.

This 30 minutes of gray daylight that I get each day (not exaggerating) gets to be a real drag.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Wait is this a dupe or was mine a dupe?
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

The distance the sun is from the earth has nothing to do with the seasons. It's the attitude of angle of Earth's axis. The sun is actually closer to the Earth in the NH winter.

This is true.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top