Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2018 7:38:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Here they at least have the decency to meet EMS streetside with their bags.

You guys and gals are bigger folks than I.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
EMT for 17 years here.

Congrats on still doing it.

When I found myself wanting a desk job, I knew it was time to move on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I still have a paramedic registry number but I just pretend on scene as the medics do all the work and I get back in my firetruck now.  Left last year.  No regertz
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
To my highly skilled and grossly underpaid heros, this Bud's for you!

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I know of a Hospital that wanted to do something special for the RNs during Nurse’s Week to show them what they thought of them; they gave them SUCKERS.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
EMT in 1995, Paramedic in 2001, Telecommunicator/EMD in 2016 (anticipating foot surgery and got permission to work the dispatch center while I recover, 4 surgeries later I really want to get back on the street).
Happy EMS Week!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know of a Hospital that wanted to do something special for the RNs during Nurse’s Week to show them what they thought of them; they gave them SUCKERS.
View Quote
And a much bigger paycheck than EMTs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Every minute sucks?

Eat more snacks?

Last 3 letters in problems?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#10]
So this is now a meme and tell thread
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Every minute sucks?

Eat more snacks?

View Quote
Eat My Saddness
Earn Money Sleeping
Eat My Shotgun
Empty My Soul
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Same to all of you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I still have a paramedic registry number but I just pretend on scene as the medics do all the work and I get back in my firetruck now.  Left last year.  No regertz
View Quote
Nothing like having your head back on the pillow twenty minutes after the call gets dispatched.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had my medic 12 years now, but promoted to driver almost 6 years ago, and have been a Captain now just over a year, so I don't do much hands on anymore unless its a code or something. I enjoyed my time on the ambulance, but I don't know if I could make a career out of it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Every minute sucks?

Eat more snacks?

View Quote
In the Helicopter Air Ambulance world it's Earn Money Sleeping.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
So what you’re saying is you don’t recommend people get into the business? What do they pay you anyway? I need a career.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

15 years apart.  Newer pic was my last hour. Upper pic was my first shift as a paramedic
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So what you’re saying is you don’t recommend people get into the business? What do they pay you anyway? I need a career.
View Quote
It depends on location, cert level, and employer.

My current employer pays.

EMT here will get you $9.50/hr (6 months of class and clinical total)
AEMT will get you $13.75/hr (1 year of class and clinical total)
Paramedic will get you $17.80/hr (2 years of class and clinical total, unless you opt for a degree in which case add another 6-12 months of biology and chem)

AMR is the largest provider in the country and control most of the service areas. We pay better than they do. There is a reason there is a shortage of paramedics country wide. The smart EMT's opt for other jobs before they go medic. The ones left are gluttons for punishment or have a co dependent streak matching most nurses.

You want a career? Go be a nurse. They actually make decent money. An ASN, associates (2 years class/clinical with about a year of pre reqs) will start here fresh out of school at $30+/hr. New ER nurses here make $35+/hr and experienced ICU/crit care with 10 years or more are pulling down $60+/hr. As a paramedic, unless you are on a fire dept or flight, will never make more than the starting level RN wage.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A lot more work though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a much bigger paycheck than EMTs.
A lot more work though.
Depends.

I've been both
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To my highly skilled and grossly underpaid heros, this Bud's for you!

View Quote
+1

They do God’s work.

My son snapped both forearm bones 3 years ago playing at a bouncy house and falling down 5 feet.  EMS was great.  They were thrilled he didn’t weigh 300+ lbs like the last patient.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Great pic of one of your calls.  I am glad to see we are not the only ones who run on unbelievable silly shit.  For EMS week my department does absolutely nothing for us and just refers us to the local hospitals that do.  Of course if you aren't on an ambulance you are kind of shit out of luck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol, so true.  That’s what hospitals think of their doctors/nurses/staff.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#25]
3 a.m., after being up all day/night running with a mid-30's, healthy, panic-attacked patient:

Patient: "I'm having chest pain, and I  just left the hospital today. I was in there for chest pain."

Medic: "Why did the hospital release you?"

Patient: "They didn't. They wouldn't let me smoke cigarettes so I left and came home before they could do my cardiac tests"

Medic: "Did you come home to smoke cigarettes?"

Patient: "Yes, and now I have chest pain again and need to go back to the hospital."
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Happy EMS Week brothers and Sisters!!

EMT for 17 months and still learning.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#27]
As a cop....

Now something we all understand.

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Too bad the uniform shirt devolved...

I too was a paramedic for 15 years out of 32 years in F.D.

I can see the difference in your eyes from first to second picture. The weight of the world on your shoulders slump.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I made this meme 8 or 9 years ago.  Makes me proud. Small world
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I made this meme 8 or 9 years ago.  Makes me proud. Small world
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213498/8C89E470-351C-4C62-A7FC-20FF8B5CE198-550529.JPG
View Quote
Medic student attempting to start an IV?

"Sir, you are going to feel a series of pricks in your arm."
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#33]
You know you are rural EMS when the call goes out "for a man down kick buy a cow".   Yep kicked by a cow landed in cow shit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Regardless of the crazy stories I read here about your daily misery, whale patients or time to Narcan Billy for the 4th time this month, there are people here, alive because of what you do.  Father’s that watched their 2 kids grow up and graduate college, and husbands that celebrate 30 years with the love of their life, their bride that have no business being alive anymore due to catastrophic events.  I’m proof that CPR works even in the most dire of consequences and I thank all of you for your tireless work. 2/28/98 was the day I died and they day you brought me back.  What can I possibly say that would be an appropriate “Thank You”, for saving my life?????
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You know you are rural EMS when the call goes out "for a man down kick buy a cow".   Yep kicked by a cow landed in cow shit.
View Quote
Had the bedt of both worlds.  Where I work you could be in the swamp or major city 20 miles apart
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Regardless of the crazy stories I read here about your daily misery, whale patients or time to Narcan Billy for the 4th time this month, there are people here, alive because of what you do.  Father's that watched their 2 kids grow up and graduate college, and husbands that celebrate 30 years with the love of their life, their bride that have no business being alive anymore due to catastrophic events.  I'm proof that CPR works even in the most dire of consequences and I thank all of you for your tireless work. 2/28/98 was the day I died and they day you brought me back.  What can I possibly say that would be an appropriate "Thank You", for saving my life?????
View Quote
Thank you.  I encourage you to go and say hello to the person that saved you . No matter how brief it seems to justify the burden somewhat.  Saves are the exception and not the rule.
Years ago I saved a child who arrested while his father was eating breakfast . After intubation and cpr for 3 minutes we got him back . The baby did well and I went to see him in the ER.  For years I had avoided this because it can be very painful.  the prognosis was good and it appeared he would have some difficulty tying his shoes and doing small tasks. When i tell you his parents are the nicest people in the workd and deserve to have thier son I mean it with my being.  I told his mom that saving him justified all the horrible things I had to do and see. The baby died 6 months later in his crib despite having alarms and two very attentive and loving parents. Im still at that table for breakfast with dad and the baby.   I hope one day I will be able to put it behind me .   If I had to do another 15 years in ems hell to give them 5 more minutes I would do it Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Thank you guys. I did a few hundred hours combined of volunteer as a basic as well as ride time in med school. Couldn't put up with that shit every day. Huge respect for all of you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#39]
25 years in, less than two to the finish line.

I just carry the clipboard and radio now, if I'm hands on, everything has gone to shit!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:33:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Paramedic will get you $17.80/hr (2 years of class and clinical total, unless you opt for a degree in which case add another 6-12 months of biology and chem)

AMR is the largest provider in the country and control most of the service areas. We pay better than they do. There is a reason there is a shortage of paramedics country wide. The smart EMT's opt for other jobs before they go medic. The ones left are gluttons for punishment or have a co dependent streak matching most nurses.

You want a career? Go be a nurse. They actually make decent money. An ASN, associates (2 years class/clinical with about a year of pre reqs) will start here fresh out of school at $30+/hr. New ER nurses here make $35+/hr and experienced ICU/crit care with 10 years or more are pulling down $60+/hr. As a paramedic, unless you are on a fire dept or flight, will never make more than the starting level RN wage.
View Quote
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Nursing is defiantly a better route, I had no idea they paid EMTs that little.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:48:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Nursing is defiantly a better route, I had no idea they paid EMTs that little.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pre-hosptial RNs are a thing now too
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I miss the ambulance sometimes...not enough to go back, but sometimes.

It was a hilarious job.

All these years later, sometimes, I still don't know what the fuck was going on.

Bottom line-

Don't do meth.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Out of the game now but in the last steps of the hiring process for a local FD.  Made it top 10 on the list so unless I bomb the psych or medical I'll be back in the game come fall.

Best I've got is "Child bit by sea monster"

Kid was playing in a flooded basement and cut their leg on something.

When we showed up he still had his swimming trunks and floaties on.  

Another time I was driving for a med unit that was doing CPR.  Someone threw the med bag out of their way.  It landed right on top of the fire extinguisher which somehow managed to pull the pin out and activate it.  Nothing like hoping out the drivers seat coated in dry chem, then as you walk around to where a team of doctors and nurses are waiting at the back of the ambulance opening up the back doors as a cloud of powder pours out to reveal everyone in the back of the ambulance absolutely painted with the shit.

The looks were priceless but no one even bothered to ask.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:07:25 AM EDT
[#44]
11 years for me, currently a Paramedic/Supervisor. It's a fantastic job that would be totally worth it if they paid just a bit more. Tons of fun and life long memories made, both good and bad. It does change you though...

To start my 48 I've taken a 23 yo with a headache and a 67 yo for kidney stones, so basically I've saved two from the reaper....
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Fire Captain/Paramedic on a career department.  EMT since 93, medic since 2000.
I still have the compassion for most people, some -not so much.
Seen a bit of f'd up shit.
Plan on retiring in about 5 years, I know Ill miss it
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Can't stand how under paid EMT's are in most areas.  Here in SLC it's around $12 an hour.   Mcdonalds here is paying $12.50.  

Our EMT's here make $18 an hour, benefits. Chill job working in a security environment. Get a nice DoD clearance as a civi. Not many calls, and if you do receive one, it's for a stubbed toe, scrape or the rare occasion a broken bone.  So it's either you want the rush of going out to calls and doing real EMT shit.. but make less than a Mcdonalds employee... OR get the unfulfilling job, EMT wise.. and receive all the over time you want, more chill atmosphere, DoD clearance and much more pay.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Spent 10yrs doing it as a FF/PM. When it gets warm in the summer, I get that feeling "Its going to be a F@%#ked up night" and miss it...for a minute. Then I go home and sleep through the night making twice what I was to put up with humanities lowest common denominators. Never had one make it to discharge...
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Rural EMS is best EMS.

We don't make shit compared to some of the big city departments, but we get some of the weirdest calls.

Man vs Cow
Man vs Pig
Car vs Combine ( those are never pretty)

My personal favorites are the 10-40s ( dead) that don't get found for weeks after they die because they live alone in the middle of nowhere. Usually it's the mail man that calls it in.

I love this job. I know I can make much more money as a Nurse but that just doesn't sound like nearly as much fun. Besides, Nurses be cray cray, yo.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Just checking in. About to leave for work.

Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I'd love to hear all the stories you all have to tell.  And thank you for all that you do!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top