Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 9:07:33 AM EDT
Okay, you guys are my brain trust.

I'm putting up pre-hung interior doors today, and driving myself batty trying to get them square, plumb and flush.  I've done two, and am not completely happy with either.  I have eleven to go.  Any of you guys have any techniques?  Do you take them off the hinges and just put the frames up first, or do you leave them as a single unit?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
i kicked one in once
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#2]
put it up as a unit.

And use shims to get them plumb and staright.

But chance are the house isn't square with the world to begin with.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I put them up as a complete unit.  You will most likley have to trim some of the bottom length of the caseing off even if you have carpet.  Have PLENTY of door shims on hand.  You will use more than you think you would. Work from the hinge side first.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you using old jams or new? If old, you'll need a planer and a level and some longer wood screws for the hinges and such.

If new. Level, shims, good nails, a little putty and new trim. Rosets are nice...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Are tha casings applied already? It will determine my answer
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Use you eyes first of all, if the "jack" on the hinge side of the door is plumb start by securing the hinge side of the door first. if the jack is not plumb use shims at each point you place a nail to make it plumb. The next thing to do is let your eyes follow all the way around the "flush" side of the door, the space between the door & jamb ("reveal") should be equal everywhere, this is done by starting from the top of the hinge side & going all the way around with a wonder bar & shims, it is important to shim by the striker plate because of the movement caused by open & closing. When it's all shimed equally, apply trim or if the door is a "set up "unit with trim applied nail to the jacks at this time. I hope this helps, I'm a master carpenter but I've never tried teaching.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everybody, I just finished lunch and am about to go at it again, I'll report back.  

With the first two doors, I tried to center the unit rather than start from the hinge side.

After much trial and error, they're both "good enough", but even though they are flush, plumb and square, the door doesn't fit perfectly.  i.e., it closes at the top about a quarter inch before the bottom.  (Like the frame is "twisted").
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#8]
i did all the doors in my  house. first thing I did was put small pieces of wood on each top corner  to keep them from tipping .. Then I shim the bottom of the frame . This will make the top of the frame level. then I insert  shims on the sides. I have found that the top of the frame be level,it influences everthing else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everybody for the good advice.  I got four doors up today and am feeling pretty good about the progress.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Shims are key. I had tons on hand when I hung my first door. It turned out great.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Have lots of shims on hand, and big hammer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top