Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 3:22:37 PM EDT
A handicap friend of mine wants to get into some white tail deer hunting. However his condition wont allow him to hold the rifle firmly enough into his shoulder to keep the buttstock from slipping down.

I was wondering if there are any companys make an item such as this for a rifle (notice the little stock "extention arm", in hopes that the arm would keep the buttstock from falling down):
By the way its an M249 buttstock.

It could probably be easy enough to make our own. I have the skills but not really the tools for the job. And it cant hurt to ask if someone has seen them around.

Thanks for your time and input, -MrMaeda
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You MIGHT be able to retrofit an M1A buttplate (which has the swing arm thingie) to a fairly normal stock.

Worth a look....
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What rifle is he planning to use? That'd be a start.  

Sly
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
An M14 buttplate assembly would work nicely. They are pretty narrow like  Rem700's and Win 70's
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
A simple L bracket would do the trick
round out all corners and apply with screws.

Well done helping him out

www.flextray.com/l_bracket.html
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What rifle is he planning to use? That'd be a start.  

Sly

Savage 840, looks like a old bolt action. I dont figure theres anything actually made for the model. Idea I'm thinking is perhaps theres a "generic" addon for a wood stock or some such.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
An M14 buttplate assembly would work nicely. They are pretty narrow like  Rem700's and Win 70's

Good thinking, 50cal.  I'd take that idea and run with it.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Another idea is to use two sticks that are tied together about 4/5's of the way up. Make an X out of it and rest the rifle in the top of the X. By sliding the rope up or down adjusts the height that's needed. It also doubles as a walking stick if made long enough and cost little to make.
To install an M14 buttplate a notch will need to be cut out of the stock for the hinge part. A shelf bracket that's padded should work also and would be much easier to make. Another idea is check out a muzzle loader supply company for an L shaped buttplate. If I remember right, some of the old target rifles of that period used a plate like that and it would already be mostly shaped the way you need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top