User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2001 6:15:34 PM EDT
This Cracks Me Up. More Scare Tactics.

[url]http://www.vpc.org/press/0111unin.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL!

C*********s!

Twist and edit the facts and figures to suit their needs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
If pistols are ineffective, I believe BISHOP has the perfect solution: That little, itty bitty AR-15 (or is it an M16?) with all the goodies: ~7" barrel, telestock and everything.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
"Handguns are impossible to use effectively for self defence.. (Us Peons) are not prepared for the extreme physiological and psychological reactions that occur in a shooting."

Sounds like I should therefore take up "combat pistol shooting."

If it is so impossible to use a pistol for self defence, why do cops and military officers and pilots carry them?

Where is this "(firearms)Industry Fantasy World" located, and does Yahoo.com give driving directions to it?

--------
"Get your stinking paws off my guns, you d@mn dirty Liberals."
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
For example, Massad Ayoob, a legendary firearms instructor and respected pro-gun author has cautioned, "The uninitiated tend to make two kinds of mistakes with firearms: they either use guns when they shouldn't, or do not use them properly in the rare circumstances when they should." Ayoob has pointed out that, "The average American has more misconceptions about lethal force in the home than in any other self-defense situation. He not only has little understanding of his legal position under these circumstances; he has no idea of how to conduct himself if, by infinitesimal chance, the day comes when his home actually is turned into a battleground he must defend against armed criminals."

Handguns in the real world—as opposed to the industry's fantasy world of virtuous defensive gun use—make people who own them much less safe. The study reveals that according to leading pro-gun experts the overwhelming majority of people who own handguns:

are ignorant of—or ignore—basic handgun safety rules;

do not have the necessary handgun combat marksmanship skills to effectively defend themselves without harming innocent others; and,

are not prepared for the extreme physiological and psychological effects that the experts, many of whom have on-the-street law enforcement experience with firearms, agree inevitably occur in an armed life-or-death confrontation (the only situation in which lethal force is justified in self-defense).  
Sounds like an education and training issue to me.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#6]
"The average American has more misconceptions about lethal force in the home than in any other self-defense situation. He not only has little
    understanding of his legal position under these circumstances; he has no idea of how to conduct himself if, by infinitesimal chance, the day comes when his home actually is turned into a battleground he must defend against armed
    criminals."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

These folks are really OFF THEIR ROCKERS!!!!
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how Ayoob feels about being the poster boy for the gun control crowd.

Given the number of successes as documented by the NRA in their "Armed Citizen" listing each month, I find Ayoob's statements a little self-serving since he runs a gun training company.

My .02.

Merlin
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Physiological changes are real but are a training issue as posted above.
I'm an old fashioned guy and won't carry a Glock (No manual safety) but that's what I have by my bed - not many thoughts required.
As the flight-or-fight-syndrome takes over the brain begins to shut-down all non-essential body activity (Ex. food digestion)the hearing begins to diminish as unneeded sensors are shut-down.  The eye sight begins to tunnel and focus becomes exquisitely sharp.  Often the firing of weapons is not heard at all or seems far away.
Just knowing these changes will occur helps - or so I'm told.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Good to see that the VPC and Clint Smith agree. Don't have the exact quote handy, but I remember Clint saying that the principle use for a handgun is to fight your way back to your rifle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Guys, they are spewing the same crap as the other article.  

Massad Ayoob's article went on to explain that people need training, that a pistol alone doesn't help, just like what Erasmus said.

F#$king stupid writers that say, "Oh, lets use this part and this part, but this part does not support our theme."

Time to get nasty with these writers.

Comments box on their site:
I am sickened by your propaganda that is spouting off half-truthes like quoting Massad Ayoob but not finishing his explanation, or you're total lack of brains as to the Eddie Eagle program.  People who are willing to lie down and take whatever the government, criminals and other give them sicken me.  The voting from the rooftops message was intended to be humorous, but get to the point that we will get our message across if the right to vote is taken away.  If you choose to quote any of this, please have the guts to use complete sentences.
Have a nice day and get a clue.

Hope they at least read it,
Ice
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah...

The handgun is to ensure you can fight your way to the vault![heavy]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the "Unintended Consequences" that John Ross wrote better.  Given the choice of relying on an "ineffective" handgun or curling up in the fetal position as these pussies would do, I'll keep the ineffective handgun.  Thank you.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
On the other hand, these same people will tell you that a handgun in a criminal's hand is such a fearfully lethal weapon that it ought to be banned.  And now they tell us that it's so ineffective for us that they ought to be banned.  We can't hurt a criminal, but the criminal will take it away from us and hurt us with it.

Hypocrisy??
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On the other hand, these same people will tell you that a handgun in a criminal's hand is such a fearfully lethal weapon that it ought to be banned.  And now they tell us that it's so ineffective for us that they ought to be banned.  We can't hurt a criminal, but the criminal will take it away from us and hurt us with it.

Hypocrisy??
View Quote

I know what you mean.Some "hood rat" with a Lorcin that can't even hit a pop can at 4 feet is capable of a "killing spree" that proves any gun is a danger to all humanity, yet when someone like myself who has not hit outside the 10X since the 1980s is incapable of successfully defending my home with a Glock 17 full of Cor-Bon.

Puleeeze
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Again, my favorite rebuttal is:

"If handuns are ineffective self defense tools, why do police carry them?"

Repeat over and over...[stick]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I've met and trained with Ayoob and you can bet your ass, you'd be selling him (and yourself) short to take what he says out of context. Read what the man says in total...not what some lame wants to quote part of. He is famous for trying other techniques, besides his own, and his students are cautioned not to worship at ANY alters of opinion until they've tried what's being espoused as "the way".
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree with [b]everything[/b] Massad Ayoob said.  Now go find the original article and not just what VPC is quoting from the original.  Massad makes valid points, it's just sad and lame as all hell that VPC is using the part that fits their agenda without the other part that clarifies the issue.

Has Ayoob made his own announcement or demand for a retraction?

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Other than a few true believers, is anyone even following the VPC anymore?  They appear to be in their death throes.  That doesn't mean we should celebrate or let our guard down though.

Ever try to reload a revolver under stress conditions without a speedloader?  I usually drop more rounds that I get into the cylinder.  My first rule of a gunfight:  Get to cover, don't stand there like an idiot on a Sunday morning practice.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top