Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 3:11:55 PM EDT
What is the purpose?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I use mine when carrying on the boat.
We sometimes go fishing where its deeper than I can hold my breath.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
on mine?  in case it catchs on something when im getting in/out of a truck.
in iraq i also did alot of jumping/climbing, more than once the retention strap caught on something and spilled the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#3]
In case it falls out of the holster...which only happens when you don't notice, and always happens when you buy a $300 holster specifically designed not to release your gun unless pulled out by you, on the new moon, at high tide.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I used one on a 1911 when I was gator huntin in the south GA swamps.  Didn't wanna chance dropping a 1911 made in 1923 in pitch black water at 0400.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I think they're much more of a European thing, but I can see their use when in a wet environment.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Purposes:
1.  Prevents 10km hikes back along the patrol route.
2.  Prevents JAG and MPs from closing the post/base until the pistol is found.
3.  Prevents career-ending letters and articles.
and many, many more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally it kept handguns from getting away from Cavalry soldiers on horseback. If needed they could just let go of the gun to free up a 2nd hand to control a panicky horse.

Its more decorative now I think, but I have seen pics of Spanish(?) uniformed police with  lanyards.

Some Swat/Delta/door kicker types use them to keep from losing handguns if things go bad.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I find my BHI lanyard to be really useful. besides water use, I use mine in the woods on camping/hiking triops. Never saw a need for 1 till I got up once and noticed my HK USP laying on the ground. Ever since then I use 1 for off the beaten path adventures.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Weapon retention. Have'nt you seen the move where the guy drops the gun while climbing a ladder or window. Would'nt happen if ya had a lanyard.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#10]
One on the Beretta was purchased from BlackHawk
I made the one on the Sig.  It allows for longer stretch... good if you have longer than normal arm.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The Caribieneri (sp?) in Italy use 'em on their Berettas.  Looks very sophisticated.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay but it still looks dumb
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
We don't issue them, but whenever we're rappelling, I can't help but think that it would'nt be a bad idea when we lock out and play spider on the wall w/ the weapon.  It would really suck to lose it when it's your only weapon (when the mission says no long gun and we don't do back ups).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh yeah, we use the .mil issued pistol lanyards to clip onto the crypto loading devices that we can carry with us.  Works great with the KYK-13's we had to carry as crypto colostomy bags
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If it looks dumb, but it works, it isn't dumb.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it looks dumb, but it works, it isn't dumb.

Still looks dumb whether it's a good idea or not
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#17]
because its hard to look cool when you clear a house and a 7 year old tugs on you pant leg and says mister you dropped this
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It looks even dumber when you stand there crying because you dropped your pistol 10 miles ago.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
because its hard to look cool when you clear a house and a 7 year old tugs on you pant leg and says mister you dropped this

Dont tell me that happened to you.......thats gotta suck. Same with the "dropped gun 10 miles back" thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Holsters are great.

But there are times when holsters don't get the job done. If you have ever been slammed into a window frame while repelling, hung up on your pistol holster and trying to force your way through, only to make your way through and hear a sickening metallic CLACK when your pistol hits the ground outside 3 stories down, you figure out that a lanyard isn't a bad idea.

Or if you have had to crawl through a few hundred yards of rough terrain and noticed that you felt too light about 300 yards into the crawl, reach down, and feel the snap on your tactical thigh rig that has gone Tango Uniform because you were crawling over some rocks a couple hundred yards ago and your pistol is nowhere to be found......

Or if you have ever suddenly needed both hands to grab a buddy whose window entry has gone wrong and who is about to fall out of said window and break his neck...

In any of those situations a lanyard makes a lot of sense.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Originated in the military for retention, whether cavalry or Navy.  Things get a bit excited in battle.   WOuldn't want to drop your weapon, would you?  I can see uses now on horseback or on a boat.  I've dropped enough stuff overboard; don't need to lose a decent pistol.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Uh, that's why it's called a dummy cord.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally it kept handguns from getting away from Cavalry soldiers on horseback. If needed they could just let go of the gun to free up a 2nd hand to control a panicky horse.

Bingo!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#24]
They good if you jump out of airplanes. Pistol lanyard on holster, holster tied down to belt, belt tied down to web gear. And if you lose your web gear you probally lost your head and arms too, so no worries.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks even dumber when you stand there crying because you dropped your pistol 10 miles ago.

+1
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#26]
When the Danish army issue my a pistol in the 1980's, it came with a lanyard - but nobody used it.

(Then again, few people carried the pistol in the field)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What is the purpose?

Because sometimes your Co-Pilot will drop his 9mm on the ramp during a moonless Afghan night and not notice until he gets back to the TOC.  

And sometimes your Gunner will bring extra gear to lone out during a deployment.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I've always wondered if a weapon or piece of gear came loose during an entry, that you wouldn't get hung up on a window frame by the cord, with the dummied gun hanging outside, caught on a brick ledge.

Could put you in a sticky spot if you are trying to make a move in the room.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've always wondered if a weapon or piece of gear came loose during an entry, that you wouldn't get hung up on a window frame by the cord, with the dummied gun hanging outside, caught on a brick ledge.

Could put you in a sticky spot if you are trying to make a move in the room.

I have seen dummy cord connectors that use a breakaway swivel on them if enough force is applied to it.  Supposed to be a great enough force that you'll feel it.  They're kindof like a quick disconnect piece (indeed, I've seen them incoporate a qd).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#30]
I've always thought they'd be a source for snags. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I made the one on the Sig.  It allows for longer stretch... good if you have longer than normal arm.

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/rug357/Toys/1833bf88.jpg

Where did you get the coiled extenting cordage?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Apart from not looking hip to CRC that would probably be the other main reason.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why the Gemtech lanyard has a preset breaking point...preventing you from sailing down into Davey Jones' locker when the bird you're on decides it ain't flying any more.  And your pistol lanyard hangs up on something when you try to egress.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why the Gemtech lanyard has a preset breaking point...preventing you from sailing down into Davey Jones' locker when the bird you're on decides it ain't flying any more.  And your pistol lanyard hangs up on something when you try to egress.

Yeah, Tactical Taylors has a fastex buckle on it, which will also break away given enough pressure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#35]
You have to love the "Dummy Cord" lanyard in most night time situtaions. But most of the time for MP's wearing "Lanyards" on a daily basis it sucks ass. Especially when you catch it on a vehicle door post, door knob etc. very embarassing! hock.gif

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4964/handlanyard0fs.jpg
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My box of old/spare computer cables.
It used to be a coiled keyboard extension cord.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My box of old/spare computer cables.
It used to be a coiled keyboard extension cord.

Dive shops are another place to find things like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top