Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/15/2005 4:43:58 AM EDT
Many of the imported handguns, like Glock, Sig & HK have serial numbers stamped on the major components. The slide and barrel are serialized along with the frame.

As I understand it, the frame is the only "restricted" part for the US market, and the other major components are serialized for overseas markets that require it and consider these parts restricted along with the frame.

I was speaking to a friend last night and this topic came up and he was told by a local ATF agent that mixing serial numbers, ie: putting a different serial numbered slide on a different frame was illegal. My conclusion is that the ATF agent is all wet.

As long as the serial number on the frame is legible and not otherwise obliterated, it doesn't matter what number(s) are on the slide and barrel.

Just want to confirm or deny that my understanding is correct.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:42:46 PM EDT
Your assumption about the BATFE agent and the law is correct!

As a matter of fact, MANY C&R rifles have multiple S/Ns and during arsenal refurbs they "mix and match" parts. Thus many of us have old battle rifles with various S/Ns on different parts. If this BATFE agent were correct, they (BATFE) would never have allowed these guns to be imported/sold/possessed!

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:53:18 PM EDT
Once I bought a Glock 23 slide that was complete. I sent it to Glock and they put a new replacement frame "under" the "old" slide. The frame serial number was unique and not even close to what was on the slide.

This was done at the Glock factory in GA. I do not think they would have doe it if it was illegal!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:07:01 PM EDT
Thanks, Guys!

I was pretty sure I was on the money, but excessive coffee consumption was the norm last night and wanted to verify I wasn't talking out my 5th point of contact.
Top Top