Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2002 7:23:56 AM EDT
Recently, there was a post here about H&R Block supporting NRA by contributing to NRA each time a member used their service.  The post had a link [url]www.gunindustrywatch.org/index.cfm?C=1[/url] which went to the anti-gun website to pick up a link to Block to send them our thanks.  Now when you go to the anti website, they have a big announcement that Block has caved in to their pressure and planned protests.  Now everyone should go to that website, use the link, and express our dissapointment to Block.  I had an appointment to go this morning to them for taxes, but I went to that post to garner info since the local office doesn't seem to be aware of the NRA deal and found the announcement.  I called them this morning, cancelled my appointment, and told them why.  In addition to using the link above to express dismay at Block, everyone should call the local Block office, set up an appointment for tommorrow, then call them back in the morning to cancel and explain that you are cancelling because they caved.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.hrblock.com/index.html[/url]

This needs a tack.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Man, if they succumbed to a little pressure from people just "threatening them," I doubt they will be willing to defend you in a tax audit due to a question about your return. Those suckers would just probably plead guilty and pay the fine, and they're done; regardless of whether you were innocent or not. No backbone at all. Would you use such a company??
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
For information about H&R Block's U.S. tax services, contact:
Denise Sposato
(816) 932-4909
[email protected]

Get on this, people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Man... those people make me want to PUKE.  Regurgitating what they already know is pure BS.  "10 kids a day," we all know means 10 gang members or other criminals up to and including 24 year olds or the like.  

And the NRA's 'extremist agenda' is the same 'agenda' that started this great nation!!

Go&*#mn those people piss me off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's my letter:

Dear H&R Block:

Initially, I was plased to hear of your partnership with the NRA, to send a contribution for tax returns prepared.

Now, a group called Gun Industry Watch (GIW) is claiming on their website you have violated the contract and backed out on your commitment with the NRA, due to GIW's  high-pressure tactics and threats of protests. If true, this saddens me greatly.

It shows either a failure to properly plan, or an unwillingness to stand on principle, in my estimation.

In either case, it reflects poorly on your organization as a whole, and tells me you are an organization I do not wish to associate with, or give my business.

My hope is that this information I am reading on their website is incorrrect. I welcome your efforts to either clarify or rectify this situation.

Sincerely,

garandman

A link to their Customer Service website.

GO git 'em, boys (and girls)!!!!!!!!

[url]http://www.hrblock.com/customer_support/submit_a_question.jsp[/url]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is the e-mail I sent Ms. Sposato:

Ms. Sposato,
I had planned on using H&R Block to file my taxes this year strictly because of the agreement with the NRA.  I had an appointment at 0900 this morning at the office on Johnny Mercer Boulevard in the Savannah, Georgia area.  Last night, I read on an anti-constitution website http://www.gunindustrywatch.org/index.cfm?C=1 that Block had caved in to threats by this and other origanizations and is breaking the deal with the NRA.  I called this morning and cancelled my appointment.   Here is a quote from the website.

"
Due to the many e-mails, phone calls, letters and planned protests that Gun Industry Watch, Million Mom March united with the Brady Campaign, and the Mid-Atlantic Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence received, news came over the weekend that H&R Block is working to sever ties with the NRA. While we wait for final confirmation of this, we ask that you put plans for the March 16th protests on hold.

Your hard work and dedication has brought us to the brink of a tremendous victory. Because of you, the NRA will have fewer dollars to promote its extremist agenda. It's a win worth shouting from the rooftops! Once we are able to verify that H&R Block has terminated its contract with the NRA, we will let you know and we will then work with you to get the word out about our success.

Congratulations on your great work! You have shown the power of grassroots activism. We will be in touch soon. "

Personally, I am tired of being called extremeist by people like this, who are the epitomy of extremeism, and of companies caving in to this politically correct nonsense.  I and many other gun owners, NRA members and non-members alike, are now aware of this rescinding of the agreement by Block.  There are over 80 million gun owners in this country and we are spreading the word of your company's giving in to these meaningless threats.  I am sure we can have more financial impact on your company that these other folks who don't seem to have anything better to do than to try to control other people's lives.  They are not grassroots organizations, as they have the backing of many politicians, wealthy businessmen, and celebrities.  We, the gun owners of this country, are the grassroots and we can weild considerably more clout than can most of those folks who probably never use Block anyway.  Besides, most gun owners are hard working people who do file taxes as opposed to many members of these anti-constitution groups who don't hold real jobs.

If my information is incorrect and this website is lying, please inform me and I will reinstitute my appointment and use Block as will many others.
View Quote

Get on it folks!

Garandman, send that same mail to the Denise Sposato address listed in one of the posts above and follow up with a phone call to her.  I also sent a mail via the way you did it.

[b]LET'S GET ON IT AND HAMMER BLOCK, FOLKS[/b]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't go to them for a better reason. They will fu(k you on your taxes! The goob working at H&R Block don't give a shit if he/she gets all the deductions available for you. They will get paid about the same money either way. It's a mill that churns out customers for a set fee mostly. They benifit by working fast not thourough. Get a good accountant who is current on tax laws. It's worth the money. I will get back $6,800 this year with my accountant who used to work for Block. She said if I would have went to the 'mill' I would have been recieving about $2,000. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Comments sent to H&R to maintain their stay with the NRA, after all if they are the number one tax preparer in the nation I would hope to think that a large portion of their customers are gun owners.  " keep us posted on the results because if they fold on us I'll find a new tax man.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys-

Let me understand what's going on here.

NUTSHELL: One of our number went to a ranting-liberal-whacko favorite website and found that they're reporting thet they've won a victory by "helping the cause of severing the tie between the NRA and H&R Block". So, now we're automatically believing what those nuts put on their website, without any sort of verification?

[size=4]DO WE WANT TO ALIENATE A POTENTIALLY SOLID ALLY BY SHOOTING OFF E-MAILS telling H&R Block how disappointed we are in them, based on what gunindustrywatch.com tells us? I guess we all believe everything the Evening news tells us, too.[/size=4]

[sarcasm]
I guess something really positive will come out of us who acting in the same reactionary way that those stinkin' anti's do.
[/sarcasm]

Don't send them a negative e-mail...that's too easy to do, and too hard to take back when/if the truth comes out that they are on our side.

INSTEAD, send them a letter praising them for their efforts to side with us, even in the face of adversity. Ask them for continued support. You'll ALWAYS catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Let's stop, think, and verify before we go off half cocked!(pun absolutely intended).

[b]RHETORICAL QUESTION TIME: Who would you believe more...[/b]
gunindustry watch.com: [url]http://www.gunindustrywatch.org/index.cfm?C=1[/url]

or the NRA, who still has this on their website?
[url]http://www.nra.org/display_content/show_content.cfm?mod_id=51&id=2356[/url]

DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WOULD STILL HAVE THIS ON THEIR WEBSITE IF THE RELATIONSHIP WAS IN JEOPARDY (regardless of your thoughts of the NRA)?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey guys-

Let me understand what's going on here.

NUTSHELL: One of our number went to a ranting-liberal-whacko favorite website and found that they're reporting thet they've won a victory by "helping the cause of severing the tie between the NRA and H&R Block". So, now we're automatically believing what those nuts put on their website, without any sort of verification?

[size=4]DO WE WANT TO ALIENATE A POTENTIALLY SOLID ALLY BY SHOOTING OFF E-MAILS telling H&R Block how disappointed we are in them, based on what gunindustrywatch.com tells us? I guess we all believe everything the Evening news tells us, too.[/size=4]

[sarcasm]
I guess something really positive will come out of us who acting in the same reactionary way that those stinkin' anti's do.
[/sarcasm]

Don't send them a negative e-mail...that's too easy to do, and too hard to take back when/if the truth comes out that they are on our side.

INSTEAD, send them a letter praising them for their efforts to side with us, even in the face of adversity. Ask them for continued support. You'll ALWAYS catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Let's stop, think, and verify before we go off half cocked!(pun absolutely intended).

[b]RHETORICAL QUESTION TIME: Who would you believe more...[/b]
gunindustry watch.com: [url]http://www.gunindustrywatch.org/index.cfm?C=1[/url]

or the NRA, who still has this on their website?
[url]http://www.nra.org/display_content/show_content.cfm?mod_id=51&id=2356[/url]

DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WOULD STILL HAVE THIS ON THEIR WEBSITE IF THE RELATIONSHIP WAS IN JEOPARDY (regardless of your thoughts of the NRA)?
View Quote
Hey newbie, read my e-mail to Ms. Sposato.  I asked her to verify if this was true or not.  I also followed up with a phone call giving her my return number to again verify if this is true or not.  And yes, it could still be up on the NRA website even if it is true.  I think highly of the NRA and I am a member.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Considering the NRA always sends me articles about stuff that already happened weeks if not months ago (their publishing is belated), maybe their website is the same way.

IOW, don't use the NRA's website as the final authority on H&R Block's current stance.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey newbie, read my e-mail to Ms. Sposato. I asked her to verify if this was true or not. I also followed up with a phone call giving her my return number to again verify if this is true or not. And yes, it could still be up on the NRA website even if it is true. I think highly of the NRA and I am a member.
View Quote

Hey fellow-AR-15.commer-with-more-posts-than-me (or, as I would prefer to call you, "Larry G", if that's ok): I started typing after reading only the first 5 posts...I think the section where you ask for verification from H&R is [b]exactly[/b] the pro-active spin that I'm talking about in our e-mails. PS my screen name is 'squibload', not 'newbie'.[:D]

IOW, don't use the NRA's website as the final authority on H&R Block's current stance.
View Quote

The NRA website certainly is slow when it comes to adding new news, I agree. OK, so what has everyone done so far to ask the NRA what the situation is? Any examples of letters, so that we can all see/use them? I'm sure we'd all benefit from them!

Keep in mind, all, that I'm on the pro-gun side...I just want us to try to think about what we do before we do it!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I looked at H&R blocl's website & couldn't find any mention of the NRA link.  I sent them this email from the gunindustrywatch website's link.

I urge you NOT to drop your relationship with the National Rifle Association.  The website

http://www.gunindustrywatch.org/index.cfm?C=1  

is reporting that you are considering severing ties with the NRA.  That would be a serious mistake.  The NRA is one of the bedrock organizations of theis country.  The anti's are like whining gnats, circling around America's ears, contributing nothing.

Sincerely,
Norm Glitz
View Quote

Then I went to the NRA.org site & followed links to the H&R Block deal [url]http://www.nra.org/display_content/show_content.cfm?mod_id=51&id=2356[/url]

Here's what the H&R Block link turns up [url]www.myNRA.com/taxes [/url] Basically a blank page on the H&R Block site.

Who knows?  From the wording on the Gunindustrywatch site, I don't think it's a done deal.  Or, undone, as the case may be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top