Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2017 8:09:21 PM EDT
After a very long week, I hit the indoor range on the way home.  I was planning to shoot my MP5, my HK 45, and a truck gun AR build I needed to put a few more rounds through before I was ready to rely on it.

I saw this pistol in the case.  It was on consignment.  It is a 1995 date code, but if it had 100 rounds through it, I would have been shocked.  Came with 4 15 rounds mags and a 10 round thrown in.  I bought it for $600 with box, manual, and warranty card.  The dealer also had some H&K USP Tactical barrels in stock, so I got talked into one of those too.  I put 50 rounds through the piece, and it is smooth like butter.  It will be getting a LEM kit soon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I would skip the LEM kit and go Match trigger instead since you will probably never carry the gun. Might as well have a sweet SA trigger pull.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Grats! I loved my USP .40
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent choice! Loved mine so much I got a 2nd. Both jet funneled for 18+1. Put more rounds than I can count through them without so much as a single problem. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I love to shoot the HK guns, but working on them is something completely different. Did a restore job for a friend who kept his in the gunwale of his guide boat for two years, Took a mallet to bust the slide loose from rust. There are so many little pieces parts in them that its like looking at the inisde of a swiss watch. Took me awhile but got it all sandblasted and recoated and working again. Since then I do not accept work on HK pistols too much of a PITA. Good buy you got though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet OP

Although I love the LEM in my P30SK.......I would go with the match trigger in the USP as the above poster stated.

Yes, love my USP 45 Tac
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Good purchase.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Scored
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Good buy.  Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice deal; good luck with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would skip the LEM kit and go Match trigger instead since you will probably never carry the gun. Might as well have a sweet SA trigger pull.
View Quote
Absolutely this.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I think you will be happy with it.  I love the compacts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet.  V1 I suppose?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sweet.  V1 I suppose?
View Quote
I can never keep the version numbers straight between the various models.  The new gun is DA/SA with a safety/decocker.  I am not fond of DA/SA pistols, os I will be converting it to LEM.  It will seem some holster time, and I have three other H&K pistols set up that way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Here she is with her big brother, both wearing cans.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my USP. 

One of the few guns I will never part with.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I love to shoot the HK guns, but working on them is something completely different. Did a restore job for a friend who kept his in the gunwale of his guide boat for two years, Took a mallet to bust the slide loose from rust. There are so many little pieces parts in them that its like looking at the inisde of a swiss watch. Took me awhile but got it all sandblasted and recoated and working again. Since then I do not accept work on HK pistols too much of a PITA. Good buy you got though.
View Quote
LOL wut?

I hope you don't work on any other pistol ever then. I don't know about the P7 but anything USP based isn't any more complicated than any other modern hammer fired pistol.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]
To hell with the LEM trigger. The single action pull on the match trigger is awesome.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Do want!

Nice!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice pistol. While browsing my LGS the other day I spotted these two beauties, a compact and a full size. Haven't shot them yet but they sure feel good in the hand.

Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nice pistol. While browsing my LGS the other day I spotted these two beauties, a compact and a full size. Haven't shot them yet but they sure feel good in the hand.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25872/IMG_9011_JPG-285041.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25872/IMG_8989_JPG-285043.jpg
View Quote
Nice.  Did they come with the roll marks filled in like that?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
H&Ks come with them filled from the factory.

Variant 1 is DA/SA with left side control lever (safety/decocker)

Variant 2 is DA/SA with right side control lever (safety/decocker)

Variant 3 is DA/SA with left side control lever (decocker only)

Variant 5 is LEM with safe position and left side safety lever

Variant 6 is LEM with safe position and right side safety lever

Variant 7 is LEM with no control lever

Variant 9 is DA/SA left side safety, no decocker
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

H&Ks come with them filled from the factory.

Variant 1 is DA/SA with left side control lever (safety/decocker)

Variant 2 is DA/SA with right side control lever (safety/decocker)

Variant 3 is DA/SA with left side control lever (decocker only)

Variant 5 is LEM with safe position and left side safety lever

Variant 6 is LEM with safe position and right side safety lever

Variant 7 is LEM with no control lever

Variant 9 is DA/SA left side safety, no decocker
View Quote
HUH?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice, USPs are the best!

I've read it's recommended to swap the recoil spring assembly out for a tactical assembly if you're going to do a lot of suppressed shooting. Just added the barrel and recoil assembly to mine last week

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
HUH?
View Quote
I should say I've seen some like that, but I was thinking about the safe / fire filled in when I type my response. Every HK product I've seen or shot has had the safe / fire markings filled in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've read it's recommended to swap the recoil spring assembly out for a tactical assembly if you're going to do a lot of suppressed shooting.
View Quote
This is the first I've heard of this theory. Might I ask your source?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read it's recommended to swap the recoil spring assembly out for a tactical assembly if you're going to do a lot of suppressed shooting.
Numerous posts on HKPro about it. The tactical assembly has stiffer springs than the regular USP assembly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, I thought it was common knowledge about using a different recoil spring when swapping barrels.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The compact is new so I know it did. The full size is used to I couldn't tell you if it came from the factory that way or not.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]
recently sold my USPc LEM

inadequate doesn't even begin to describe that gun
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
recently sold my USPc LEM

inadequate doesn't even begin to describe that gun
View Quote

Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?
View Quote
sure:

proprietary rail that HK refuses to modernize
capacity of 13 vs 15 for a modern similarly sized gun
LEM trigger is smooth/has short reset, but way too much slack
euro mag release
if looking at new prices, it's 1.5x what a comparable handgun would cost

very comfortable and accurate though. i only bought it because i wanted to get a match weigh for it, but then i realized that was stupid and sold the gun
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

sure:

euro mag release

very comfortable and accurate though. i only bought it because i wanted to get a match weigh for it, but then i realized that was stupid and sold the gun
View Quote
Thanks for the review. It's good to hear from someone with actual experience. Since I'll mostly use them for the range I think I'm going to enjoy them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Good choice. I've carried mine daily, and shot the bejeezus out of it.
For those who find them hard to work on, I'd say this: they ARE complicated, but the engineering is solid. After spending a few hours learning my USP I don't find it any harder to deal with than a Glock or 1911, just more parts.
Engineering: the only thing I've ever broken on a Glock is a trigger return spring. The USP TRS is engineered to avoid failure. Of course, you need a special tool to install it (I made my own).
I have a very good feeling about the reliability of this overengineered beast.
Mag release? I'm left handed. I've been dropping mags with my trigger finger for decades. Euro release works fine. When I grab my M&P or Glock for competition, I don't have any trouble switching.
Trigger slack? Meh. I've shot this thing in plate and pin matches as my "stock" gun. You can learn to shoot it well. And, when you carry, DA/SA and a certain amount of take up is your friend.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

sure:

euro mag release

View Quote
Funny, I can engage the mag release without flipping the whole pistol. In order to hit the mag release on 1911 releases. Regardless, it's subject. That is NOT design flaw on HK pistols.

The Universal Rail that HK used was designed in 1989ish, during the design of the MK23. The 1913 rail we're used to wasn't .mil standardized til 1995. And even then it took years before those rails ended up on M4s. So HK was pretty much the first modern pistol with a rail, and it was way before the 1913 caught anywhere near on. So don't come all out like that HK just wanted to do their own thing, when in fact, there was no standard rail. And HK kind of made the idea mainstream.

There is a ton of HK models with 1913 rails.

Glock rail is Proprietary. It's not technically a 1913 rail.

I never ever seen a single person criticize a USP because it wasn't accurate or reliable. Only complaint I ever see is about prices. Yet, you will find a gazillion complaints about reliability, accuracy about other, cheaper pistols. Or Glocks exploding. LOL
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I consider the take up in the LEM trigger a feature.  If I want a single action trigger, I'll carry a single action pistol.  If I want a striker-fired trigger, I'll either carry a Glock of maybe get a VP9.  

LEM is for carry guns that are going be used int he real world.  If you are planning to use your H&K as a range toy or target pistol, then the match trigger is probably the way to go.  I like the LEM because it gives me a light, consistent trigger with a nice reset, that adds an extra margin of safety via the take up.  Based on work with the timer, it doesn't slow me down at all. I deal with the take up during my presentation, taking up the slack in the trigger as I am punching the pistol out to shoot.

Fortunately, H&K offers a wide variety of trigger options to suit every user.

I shit the new USP 9 again today, and put a mag through it with my AAC Evo 9 CQC mounted.  It ran like a top.  I may invest in the tactical recoil assembly when I order the LEM kit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I would reconsider and do the match trigger.

Yes, HKs----including mags and accessories----are more expensive than competitive guns.  It will also never jam and will just about last forever.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I consider the take up in the LEM trigger a feature.  If I want a single action trigger, I'll carry a single action pistol.  If I want a striker-fired trigger, I'll either carry a Glock of maybe get a VP9.  

LEM is for carry guns that are going be used int he real world.  If you are planning to use your H&K as a range toy or target pistol, then the match trigger is probably the way to go.  I like the LEM because it gives me a light, consistent trigger with a nice reset, that adds an extra margin of safety via the take up.  Based on work with the timer, it doesn't slow me down at all. I deal with the take up during my presentation, taking up the slack in the trigger as I am punching the pistol out to shoot.

I shit the new USP 9 again today, and put a mag through it with my AAC Evo 9 CQC mounted.  It ran like a top.  I may invest in the tactical recoil assembly when I order the LEM kit.
View Quote
The mk23 is a military pistol. It has a match trigger.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't do DA/SA pistols.  The hardest thing about about shooting any pistol well is managing the tigger.  Why would you choose to carry a pistol with two different trigger pulls?  If it was all I could get, then fine, but given the choice, I choose otherwise.  I have a HK45, P30, and USP 45, all with light LEM.  I just ordered a LEM kit, new style sear catch, and a HK thread protector from HK parts.  I will post more pics after the install.

ETA:  If you like DA/SA, then by all means carry one.  If have exactly no interest in the mk23.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't do DA/SA pistols.  The hardest thing about about shooting any pistol well is managing the tigger.  Why would you choose to carry a pistol with two different trigger pulls?  If it was all I could get, then fine, but given the choice, I choose otherwise.  I have a HK45, P30, and USP 45, all with light LEM.  I just ordered a LEM kit, new style sear catch, and a HK thread protector from HK parts.  I will post more pics after the install.

ETA:  If you like DA/SA, then by all means carry one.  If have exactly no interest in the mk23.
View Quote
To each his own. The US military has been using da/SA since the 80s. 

If you don't like it. Well, it ain't for everyone. But it is not inferior, just different.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#47]
It's not "fent".

It is "fo'd".

You can't just regularly conjugate "fo".
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

To each his own. The US military has been using da/SA since the 80s. 

If you don't like it. Well, it ain't for everyone. But it is not inferior, just different.
View Quote
I know enough about government procurement to know that the government buying a gun does not make the best choice.  

I believe DA/SA is inherently inferior because it is harder to train.  You have to learn two trigger pulls and you have a more complex manual of arms because you have to deal with a de-cocker.  I used to be a LE firearms instructor for a small agency.  When our courtroom deputies came out for their annual qualification, they consistently holstered their 229's with the hammer still cocked, despite my admonitions tot he contrary.  They simply didn't get enough training and trigger time.  Fortunately that agency has no gone to Glocks.

I can't see any reason to choose a DA/SA over another system other than a mistaken perception that they are safer.  What am I missing?

I have trained plenty of guys on DA/SA guns when they didn't have a choice because that was what they were issues. Since I have a choice, I don't carry one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's not "fent".

It is "fo'd".

You can't just regularly conjugate "fo".
View Quote
I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I know enough about government procurement to know that the government buying a gun does not make the best choice.  

I believe DA/SA is inherently inferior because it is harder to train.  You have to learn two trigger pulls and you have a more complex manual of arms because you have to deal with a de-cocker.  I used to be a LE firearms instructor for a small agency.  When our courtroom deputies came out for their annual qualification, they consistently holstered their 229's with the hammer still cocked, despite my admonitions tot he contrary.  They simply didn't get enough training and trigger time.  Fortunately that agency has no gone to Glocks.

I can't see any reason to choose a DA/SA over another system other than a mistaken perception that they are safer.  What am I missing?

I have trained plenty of guys on DA/SA guns when they didn't have a choice because that was what they were issues. Since I have a choice, I don't carry one.
View Quote
It's easy. Carry cocked and locked. HK V1s are all safe to carry cocked and locked, no different than a 1911. The DA is a great backup for failed ignition an advantages strikers don't have. If you were referring to the disadvantage of say a p226 DA first pull to a glock, I'd agree on them, and the extra skill involved. But to an off duty or carry gun,... cocked and locked is GTG.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top