Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2005 9:52:33 AM EDT
All I want is to be able to buy some hamburger that doesn't have some mysterious little hard things (pieces of bone maybe) or veins in it. I always buy the most expensive hamburger they have and it still almost always has some of that shit in it.

I don't recall hamburger being that way when I was young.

WTF? Maybe that doesn't bother some people but it does me. If I'm eating a hamburger or something with hamburger and I come across something like that I almost can't even finish eating it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Not pieces of bone they are Kidney Stones.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
man up and eat it
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not pieces of bone they are Kidney Stones.

Great, that sounds even more appetizing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Chuck Steak + food grinder = gritless hamburger
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Have the butcher grind up some top sirloin for you, Numb nuts!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:00:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Have the butcher grind up some top sirloin for you, Numb nuts!

At least you didn't say the same old thing like "It should be banned" or "These things happen" like a fucking broken record.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#9]
they're just chunks of poo from the ground lips and anuses.  Nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Be a man and grind your own.  And while you are at it, learn to make your own sausage and hot dog wieners.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#11]
It's organic.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Be a man and grind your own.  And while you are at it, learn to make your own sausage and hot dog wieners.

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't eat hamburgers 'cause of that..
I just gag
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#14]
It's made from animals - animals are made up of muscle, veins, arteries, organs, tissue and bones. What do you expect?

I think it's hilarious how folks get their undies in a bunch when other cultures eat horse, dog, cat, etc. while happily chomping down on a burger (assuming there are no veins or bone chips in it)  ;-)

Most hamburger in the US comes from spent dairy cows - so you're eating older animals (higher mad-cow risk maybe) that are going to have more health problems.

good times,
Mike

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Hamburgers = EEWWW.

ALL ground meat, unless you grind it yourself, is made entirely of cut-off odds and ends, and everything else that gets cut off from meat that cannot be sold. The grinding process simply mixes it all up and as such makes it look 'presentable'.
When's the last time you saw all-red store ground meat (without the bits of white crap [fat, ligaments, etc] in it)?

The only burgers I'm willing to eat are made by my family from real red meat put through a meatgrinder at home.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
YUMMY ........hing

moooooooooooooo. it hurts mooooooo hainsaw.gif
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#18]
That's the hard part of the brain with mad cow in it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Pah hussies!  It's meat. It's not bean sprouts.  WTF are y'all going to do if things ever go shitty in this country?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It's made from animals - animals are made up of muscle, veins, arteries, organs, tissue and bones. What do you expect?

I think it's hilarious how folks get their undies in a bunch when other cultures eat horse, dog, cat, etc. while happily chomping down on a burger (assuming there are no veins or bone chips in it)  ;-)

Most hamburger in the US comes from spent dairy cows - so you're eating older animals (higher mad-cow risk maybe) that are going to have more health problems.

good times,
Mike

+1

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#21]
And here I am eating raw steak with blood oozing out as if I were a modern day Visigoth or Vandal...............what the F##K has this world come to! I need MORE red meat goddamn it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Grind your own.

I do and hamburger has never been better. You can control the level of fat, of which there should be some to add flavor, and freshness.  And, you wont have to deal with the added meat bits.

Ever had a hamburger made from a ribeye steak?  Delicious.

Don't go too lean or you'll lose flavor.

Jack
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Go to a good butcher shop,and stay away from the nasty shit at the grocery store for starters.

I found a good local shop about 15 miles away and bought a deep Freeze.Night and day difference from store bought crap!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the same problem with the bones. My wife never finds them but I think I chew better thanher.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh, while I am at it, will plug chop-rite manual grinders.  I have had no problems grinding a pig at a time with it.  Made in the USA for a very long time.  

While I don't use my grinder at Sausage day, we do use and an antique Enterprise (Chop-rite) sauasage stuffer.  We smoke a bit more than a ton of sausage on Sausage day(weekend).  For sauage day we use a commercial grinder(s) and butcher saws..
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#26]
The prions are only found in the nervous system.

My grandfather used to run a resturant, and he never eats hamburger because he knows what go into it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I grind my own! I can get fresh chuck steaks sometimes for $1.90/lb or lower and I can then have ground chuck for less than the ground bone chip crap...

I make my own sausage and bratwurst's as well just for the reason you mention. Plus, I can control the fat content and spices...

I worked in a butcher shop as a kis when they still had cattle hung on hooks in the walk-in. Everything went into the ground beef. Everything old that was out in the case for a few days and we even used bull meat which was cheap. We even ground up the rib-eyes that were not sold in a few days.... So, I guess Forest Gump should have said "Life is like a hamburger. you never know what you're gonna get"

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have the same bizarre little hangup with hamburger.  I mostly don't bother with it cause I hate picking gristle out of my teeth.

I guess that shows how pampered we've become!

"Texture Freak" I was one too , but man you dont want to open up a "meat" disscusion ! The proccessing of "Meat" is a foul subject . I quit eating the stuff in 94' . Most folks think it grows in a styrafoam wrapper at Safeway .
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Hamburger: Everything but the moo.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Lets see you plow,harrow,level the field,then drill it!  Then you swarth,rake,bail it then feed it!!

Then round up and run through the silver king the calfs(some are mountain oysters canidates)some and all are rouwl grain steriod implants shot into the ears!

Then loaded into the pot trailer to haul to packing town to be bought by beef producers(cassidy is a big one around here) then hauled to beef lots to stand in thier own shit!!

Then fed lots of (special grain)which is not what they are meant to eat(grass is the number one answer alex)!

Then to keep them from getting sick in the feed lots,they get lots of anti-biotics !!!

So when the 800 cattle get slaughtered the one of a kind cuts(steaks,ribs.ect) get packaged!

The rest of the 800 cattle and fat from these are combined in a huge bin to be ground up into the most toxic 800 cow anti-biotic feast for mankind!!!!

Thats why we need to take pro-biotics,just one burger will get you doses from 800 cows!!!!

So buy the one cow one meat cuts!!! Steaks,ribs .ect!!!

And bolonga is everything else that only your dog would eat!!!  Tails ,ears,maybe even entrails and brains!!!

Use at your own risk is what Hamburger should say!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

if you don't have a food grinder you can just grab a roast off of the shelf at the store and ask the counter to grind it up for you. probably not as good as running it through a clean grinder at home, but better than the scrap bin meat you'd by as hamburger.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Having Experience in working in a grocery store meat department I will post...

- All your ground beef already comes in pre-ground, just not very well. Basically it comes in 2.5 feet tubes. You cut them open and throw them in a grinder. You grind all of this one or two times. Then the next grind you will have basic hamburger that is on the shelf.

- Don't buy ground beef, its too fatty. Basic Ground Beef is 70% Beef and 30% Fat. Go with Chuck (80% Beef / 20% Fat or Ground Round 85% Beef / 15% Fat). Lean Ground Beef (93% Beef & 7% Fat) doesn't have enough fat in it to be flavorful.

- That hard white fragment in your hamburger is bone. Usually the leaner the beef, the less bone. Its not going to come out, and if you are grinding basic hamburger the grinder will usually become clogged after 3-5 full grinds due to all the bone fragments. Luckily the grinder will catch the majority of this bone fragment.

- If you don't want the basic hamburger types, carry a roast to the butchers and they will grind it for you. It won't have any bone fragments and it will be the cut you want. (Wait till Sirloin goes on sale, and have them grind the hell out of it for a killer burger).

- If this seems nasty, I will give you hope. A meat department is CLEAN. I will guarantee that after the day is over, it will be clean as hell, to the point you could eat off the cutting boards. Remember, meat departments are graded basically like a resturant. If a meat department has a  low score.... RUN. The meat department I worked in had a 98% Sanatation Score. I usually closed, and it was very easy to keep clean. If a meat department has a really low score its a VERY BAD sign the workers are half-assed bastards.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#35]
My dad was a butcher and told me to never buy ground beef.  If it's even all beef count yourself lucky.  They pad the stuff with the fat cutoffs of the steaks they sell.....why sell  the fat for scrap when you can get ground beef prices for it.  I have a Cuisinart that I use to chop up sirloin or chuck myself.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:02:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I agree that home made burger surpasses any ground up wtf is that meat, Lowe’s sells a good basic meat grinder for around 100.00 and for what it does I would say that it is worth the money.

In our area you can find sales on chuck, sirloin or other beef roast that is sometimes low cost but the "hunk O meat" size is excellent in cost.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Probably millions (I dunno the exact number but we can agree a hell of lot) of pounds of ground beef are consumed across the country daily.

With the national media instant frenzy on the Jack in the Box eColi mad cow style events.....you just dont hear about that many instances of killer ground beef.

Most places wont even cook a burger less than medium any more.

Considering the amount consumed vs the occurance of incident could possibly the danger of ground beef be hyped up a bit ?

Analogy - The public perception of the danger of EBR's versus the fact that there are millions of EBRs in the hands of people and more bought daily (check the EE). Where are the mass EBR killings ?

Do people get sick ? Sure. From a purely statistical standpoint the numbers just dont jive. I would venture to say a great deal of the food sickness incidents are due to the improper preparation rather than something inherent to the meat itself.

People dig telling scare stories to others about food safety..hot dogs, eggs, milk, beef  if the hype were true the incident of food related ill effect would be everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Its SOYLENT GREEN. Reduces the internment costs
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:43:15 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Eggzackley!! I got some boneless Chuck Roast on sale for .99 cent and ran it thru my meat grinder and got lean, finely ground beef!
Same thing with pork, add seasoning and get sausage that is so lean you have to add cooking oil to the pan to fry it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#40]
WAAH!WAAAHHH!WAAAAHHH!

Sometimes,it's better not to ask.
My brother built food processing equipment for quite a few years.He used to go to the processors to set up the new stuff,troubleshoot,etc.And some of this stuff was BIG (ie-haul it on 40' trailers,sometimes more).
Anyway,for the first few years,he wouldn't even eat anything out of a can.Ever see the apples they use for applesauce? Mmm.Extra protein.Of the clams in clam chowder.Or the guy who got pulled into the screw auger on a bean processor?
He always used to laugh at the fact that with all this crap,he had to wear a BEARD NET!
Anyway,he's back to eating shit like the rest of us,and just not thinking/worrying about it.
For all its problems,our food industry is light years beyond what we had a few decades ago.Stop worrying!Bon appetite!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Having Experience in working in a grocery store meat department I will post...

- All your ground beef already comes in pre-ground, just not very well. Basically it comes in 2.5 feet tubes. You cut them open and throw them in a grinder. You grind all of this one or two times. Then the next grind you will have basic hamburger that is on the shelf.
etc.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:08:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Switch to Turkey burgers.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

oh yeah

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have the same bizarre little hangup with hamburger.  I mostly don't bother with it cause I hate picking gristle out of my teeth.

I guess that shows how pampered we've become!

"Texture Freak" I was one too , but man you dont want to open up a "meat" disscusion ! The proccessing of "Meat" is a foul subject . I quit eating the stuff in 94' . Most folks think it grows in a styrafoam wrapper at Safeway .

Hey check this out, you say this in jest, but there is a lot of truth.
============================================================================
BBC NEWS
Scientists aim for lab-grown meat
An international research team has proposed new techniques that may lead to the mass production of meat reared not on the farm, but in the laboratory.

Developments in tissue engineering mean that cells taken from animals could be grown directly into meat in a laboratory, the researchers say.

Scientists believe the technology already exists to directly grow processed meat like a chicken nugget.

The technology could benefit both humans and the environment.

"With a single cell, you could theoretically produce the world's annual meat supply. And you could do it in a way that's better for the environment and human health.

"In the long term, this is a very feasible idea," said Jason Matheny of the University of Maryland, part of the team whose research has been published in the Tissue Engineering journal.

Growing the meat without the animal could reduce the need to keep millions of animals in cramped conditions and would lessen the damage caused by the meat production to the environment.

Laboratory-grown meat could also be healthier, proponents say.

Eating 'mush'

Tissue engineering techniques were first developed for medical use and small amounts of edible fish tissue have been grown in research conducted by Nasa.

To industrialise the process, researchers suggest the cells could be grown on large sheets that would need to be stretched to provide the 'exercise' for the growing muscles.

"If you didn't stretch them, it would be like eating mush," said Mr Methany.

Whilst the technology to produce processed meat is here now, producing a steak or chicken breast is still quite a way off, the researchers say.

Questions

The new techniques could also provide a dilemma for vegetarians.

Some may feel able to eat meat that has been grown without an animal being harmed.

Others feel that question marks remain about the way the cells would be taken from animals.

"It won't appeal to someone who gave up meat because they think it's morally wrong to eat flesh or someone who doesn't want to eat anything unnatural," Kerry Bennett of the UK Vegetarian Society told the Guardian newspaper.

How regulators might react is also unclear.

The US Food and Drug Administration has asked companies not to market any products that involve cloned animals until their safety has been evaluated.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/sci/tech/4148164.stm

Published: 2005/08/13 11:52:01 GMT

© BBC MMV
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#45]
When the shtf, some of yous guys are gonna have a hard time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Better solution:  eat more venison!  Don't like the taste?  That's what rubs and marinades are for!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
- Don't buy ground beef, its too fatty. Basic Ground Beef is 70% Beef and 30% Fat. Go with Chuck (80% Beef / 20% Fat or Ground Round 85% Beef / 15% Fat). Lean Ground Beef (93% Beef & 7% Fat) doesn't have enough fat in it to be flavorful.

I usually buy ground sirloin(10% fat), I tried the 5%-7% fat hamburger, but it is an unnecessary expense because my children(and rightfully so) would say, "man this stuff tastes like shoe leather;" too lean, tastes dry. Fat gives it the juicy taste.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Lowe’s sells a good basic meat grinder for around 100.00 and for what it does I would say that it is worth the money.

How hard is it to clean?  Are the grinders easier to clean than they used to be?

The reason I ask is that I've got a 40+ year-old hand-grinder still bolted to my counter top.  It's impossible to reach some of the inside of it to clean.  My wife and I have gotten sick a few times after using it so we just stopped.  Admittedly this was only three or so times out of using it about once a week for about 25 years, but it was bad enough to make my wife start buying hamburger at a grocery store.z
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Lowe’s sells a good basic meat grinder for around 100.00 and for what it does I would say that it is worth the money.

How hard is it to clean?  Are the grinders easier to clean than they used to be?

The reason I ask is that I've got a 40+ year-old hand-grinder still bolted to my counter top.  It's impossible to reach some of the inside of it to clean.  My wife and I have gotten sick a few times after using it so we just stopped.  Admittedly this was only three or so times out of using it about once a week for about 25 years, but it was bad enough to make my wife start buying hamburger at a grocery store.z

You do know that bolts turn both ways (on and off) dont ya??
Unbolt the thing take it over to the sink and give it a wash. Then you can *gasp* bolt it back onto your counter or even store it away in a clean container to keep the dust out of it until you want to use it again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Grind your own.

I do and hamburger has never been better. You can control the level of fat, of which there should be some to add flavor, and freshness.  And, you wont have to deal with the added meat bits.

Ever had a hamburger made from a ribeye steak?  Delicious.

You took a good ribeye steak and made it into hamburger? BAN HIM!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top