Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2006 8:37:11 PM EDT
Hamas forming Army

By SARAH EL DEEB and RAVI NESSMAN

RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) - The leader of Hamas suggested Saturday that the Islamic group could create a Palestinian army that would include its militant wing - responsible for scores of deadly attacks on Israelis - in the aftermath of its crushing victory in parliamentary elections.

Israeli officials condemned the plan, demanding that Hamas renounce violence. Palestinian security officers, including loyalists from the defeated Fatah Party, said they would never submit to Hamas control.

"Hamas has no power to meddle with the security forces," said Jibril Rajoub, a Palestinian strongman.

The Hamas chief, Khaled Mashaal, reiterated that Hamas would not recognize Israel and indicated attacks on Israeli civilians would continue as long as Israel continued to target Palestinian civilians. "As long as we are under occupation then resistance is our right," he said.

Angry police stormed the parliament building in Gaza and armed militants marched into Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas' compound in Ramallah to demonstrate their rejection of Hamas' authority. Their defiance raised fears of a spike in violence between Palestinian factions.

Clashes have already broken out between the two sides. Hamas gunmen wounded two policemen in Gaza early Saturday in what authorities said was a roadside ambush. The attack came hours after another firefight wounded a Hamas activist and two police officers, one of whom was in a coma Saturday.

Hamas won 74 out of 132 seats in parliamentary elections Wednesday to Fatah's 45. The militant group's victory threw the fate of international aid to the cash-strapped Palestinian Authority in doubt and darkened the chances for a peace deal with Israel.

Speaking from his base in Damascus, Syria, Mashaal insisted his group would not disarm and said Hamas' military wing, estimated at nearly 5,000 gunmen in Gaza alone, could be merged into a Palestinian army.

"We are ready to unify the weapons of Palestinian factions, with Palestinian consensus, and form an army like any independent state," he said.

Now we're talkin'.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not just worried yet... watching the situation, but.. not worried.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Israel would smoke them like a crack pipe...perfect excuse to rid themselves of these terrorist for good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
"While we are still occupied..." Yeah, meaning as long as there are Jews on this continent.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I would imagine behind the scenes Irael is just hoping they do that.

Time to take the gloves off.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Standing army = big ole target.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hope for a civil war.

Terrorist killing terrorist...

Time for long necks and a lawn chair.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, that would work too.

I have been watching this shit for my entire life, it is getting old and should just be dealt with.

There are two ways to have peace.  Either both sides want it and you have it by default; or you fight your enemy and destroy him until he lacks the will or ability to fight and has no choice but to propose peace of be destroyed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted: There are two ways to have peace.  Either both sides want it and you have it by default; or you fight your enemy and destroy him until he lacks the will or ability to fight and has no choice but to propose peace of be destroyed.
I'm a fan of option 2.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually I would love to see a long civil war between the different Palestinian factions. Both sides want the millions of dollars in aid.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted: There are two ways to have peace.  Either both sides want it and you have it by default; or you fight your enemy and destroy him until he lacks the will or ability to fight and has no choice but to propose peace of be destroyed.
I'm a fan of option 2.

Ditto. No use for em it the global community.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
No biggie.
Nothing a couple fully loaded B-52's can't fix.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope for a civil war.

Israel = terrorist?  You need to go back to school and pay attention in history class
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Think Max_Mike meant HAMAS vs. FATAH (terrorist vs. terrorist)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Think Max_Mike meant HAMAS vs. FATAH (terrorist vs. terrorist)

oooh ok. my bad
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice thing the Isreali's moved out of a few areas, they are now free-fire zones.   Bring in the King of Battle and let Hamas taste hot steel.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope for a civil war.

Israel = terrorist?  You need to go back to school and pay attention in history class

You need to go back to the 3rd grade and find out what civil war means.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope for a civil war.

You need to go back to the 3rd grade and find out what civil war means.

nu-uh!! ur mom!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Israel needs to quit piddling around and masacre every muslim within its borders.  They could do it within a single night with proper motivation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope for a civil war.

If I was a right wing Israeli, I'd join you in jumping for joy.  The perspective would be, "Let them kill each other off and there's less for us to kill."  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Israel needs to quit piddling around and masacre every muslim within its borders.  They could do it within a single night with proper motivation.

Finally someone on my wavelength
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope for a civil war.

+1

It would be great if FoxNews would carry 24hr running coverage of the fighting so I could kick back on the sofa, have a beer and some chips and have good quality entertainment on TV!

Las Vegas should start taking bets on who wins! I wonder what odds they will offer?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Hamas hasn't figured out the whole "when you are in a hole, stop digging" thing, nor the "give them enough rope, and they will hang themselves" thing.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I hope you guys are right, I suspect they're coordinating with Iran and probably Syria and Al-queda as well, and this victory gives them a very short-lived advantage. Hopefully they won't be able to organise properly because events will be moving too fast, but then again that means we also will be making decisions on the fly, and I don't have a great deal of confidence in this administrations ability to think on its feet.

I expect Iran/Isreal to flare up before the palestinians have been dealt with, and this leaves a better-organized force on their flank.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#25]
So when a Palestinian straps a bomb to his chest and blows up Israeli Jews hes a terrorist, but when the IDF attacks civilian Palestinians with F-16's and Apaches their not eh. How convenient. How about when Sharon attacked Lebanon and killed 20,000 lebanese civilians in eight days, thats not Terrorism eh. How convenient to just go out and kill all the muslims surrounding Israel, you people talk about education, is that an educated statement, to kill someone solely because of their religion?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So when a Palestinian straps a bomb to his chest and blows up Israeli Jews hes a terrorist, but when the IDF attacks civilian Palestinians with F-16's and Apaches their not eh. How convenient. How about when Sharon attacked Lebanon and killed 20,000 lebanese civilians in eight days, thats not Terrorism eh. How convenient to just go out and kill all the muslims surrounding Israel, you people talk about education, is that an educated statement, to kill someone solely because of their religion?

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The irony fails to escape me.  

- First, to identify the muslims, Israel should force them to all wear a big yellow crescent on their clothes.
- Then they will be rounded up into certain areas of their cities for "protection"
- After conditions in those muslim areas detiorate (inevitable when all utilities and sanitation are cut off) the muslims will be moved to internment camps where they will be relieved of the idle nothingness of the cities, and be put to work
- I think we all know what happens after that.

I'm not siding with terrorists by any stretch here, but Israel is no innocent victim here.  When you forcibly displace a people under the auspices of "God promised us this land thousands of years ago" you can reasonable expect the displaced populus to be pissed.

Say my great grandfather built a house a LONG time ago.  He then went off to war and was killed, and the house is auctioned off to somoene else.  Decades later I return to that house and demand that the current residents leave and that they live in a tent in the back yard.  I have the right to enter that tent at any time, whether they want me there or not.  I control where they go and what they do, and treat everyone in that family like criminals.  To justify my actions, I tell the family that my great grandfather built that house, so it is rightfully mine, even though it has been out of the family for decades.

This is what I see Israel doing to the Palestenians.  I do not support attacking non-combatants, which is what the Pals are doing, but I also don't support them being treated as a second class nuisiance like Israel is doing to them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Not this bullshit again.  Israel is the  best thing that ever happened to the so-called "Palestinians" and the only hope for the Middle East.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not this bullshit again.  Israel is the  best thing that ever happened to the so-called "Palestinians" and the only hope for the Middle East.

+1
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
... I do not support attacking non-combatants, which is what the Pals are doing, but I also don't support them being treated as a second class nuisiance like Israel is doing to them.

Oh great wise man, what is the solution?

you're pretty good at saying that everyone is in the wrong, but what solves the problem?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Typical uneducated bigotry
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The irony fails to escape me.  

- First, to identify the muslims, Israel should force them to all wear a big yellow crescent on their clothes.
- Then they will be rounded up into certain areas of their cities for "protection"
- After conditions in those muslim areas detiorate (inevitable when all utilities and sanitation are cut off) the muslims will be moved to internment camps where they will be relieved of the idle nothingness of the cities, and be put to work
- I think we all know what happens after that.

I'm not siding with terrorists by any stretch here, but Israel is no innocent victim here.  When you forcibly displace a people under the auspices of "God promised us this land thousands of years ago" you can reasonable expect the displaced populus to be pissed.

Say my great grandfather built a house a LONG time ago.  He then went off to war and was killed, and the house is auctioned off to somoene else.  Decades later I return to that house and demand that the current residents leave and that they live in a tent in the back yard.  I have the right to enter that tent at any time, whether they want me there or not.  I control where they go and what they do, and treat everyone in that family like criminals.  To justify my actions, I tell the family that my great grandfather built that house, so it is rightfully mine, even though it has been out of the family for decades.

This is what I see Israel doing to the Palestenians.  I do not support attacking non-combatants, which is what the Pals are doing, but I also don't support them being treated as a second class nuisiance like Israel is doing to them.

You need to learn some history. What you wrote is not true. Israel's population is 18% muslim arab. Those are the ones who stayed and did not leave to join the fight when the surrounding nations tried to push Isael into the sea. The other Arab states around the region have had problems with the Palis as well and don't want them. It seems they cause trouble where-ever they go. Jews have lived in the area for millenia and the borders were set up initially by convention after WWII and later by defensive aquisition of land after Israel was attacked. Other than a few incidents of collateral damage while taking out terrorists being hosted by the civilian population Israel has been nothing but patient with the Arab squatters known as Palis.

Also, Israel has muslims in it's military. More Arab Palis have been killed by other Arabs in the last 60 years than by Israel. Jordan hates them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Two seperate, territorially contiguous states is the ONLY answer.  It's easy to say that, but the problem with that is that both sides want it all, and are very unwilling to compromise.  Both sides want Jerusalem as the capitol, and neither want to share, not to mention giving up any other territory to boot.

Fighting over religion is quite possibly the most wasteful human endeavour ever undertaken.  The greatest crimes in the history of humanity have been done in the name of some "God" and this is no different.  As long as both sides think that their "God" is on their side, they will be hell bent to destroy eachother.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Nope, just the truth.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That sounds like the same argument that was used to justify slavery.

"White civilization is the greatest thing that ever happened to the Africans! They should be glad to be brought here!"
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Typical liberal ad hominem attack.  Quit stalking me right now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Two seperate, territorially contiguous states is the ONLY answer.  It's easy to say that, but the problem with that is that both sides want it all, and are very unwilling to compromise.  Both sides want Jerusalem as the capitol, and neither want to share, not to mention giving up any other territory to boot.

Fighting over religion is quite possibly the most wasteful human endeavour ever undertaken.  The greatest crimes in the history of humanity have been done in the name of some "God" and this is no different.  As long as both sides think that their "God" is on their side, they will be hell bent to destroy eachother.

That is not even close to the truth. All my life Israel has given more and more to the Arab squatters. The problem is THEY want Israel gone. Israel has given the Palis everything they have wanted save the destruction of the Jews and it has not helped. It is only because of Israel respecting the memory of WWII that the Arab squatters were not been dispatched long ago.

I am getting tired of these nuts who try to find good in the Palis when recent history has shown there is none.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That is not even close to the truth. All my life Israel has given more and more to the Arab squatters. The problem is THEY want Israel gone. Israel has given the Palis everything they have wanted save the destruction of the Jews and it has not helped. It is only because of Israel respecting the memory of WWII that the Arab squatters were not been dispatched long ago.

I am getting tired of these nuts who try to find good in the Palis when recent history has shown there is none.

What about the territory Israel seized in '67 that had nothing to do with the original UN treaty creating the nation?  They were quick to give that back werent they?  IIRC, they're STILL there!

And as for automatically calling them "squatters"  I suppose you buy into the "God promised us this land" argument?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"White civilization is the greatest thing that ever happened to the Africans! They should be glad to be brought here!"

The only time in history where Africa has been productive is when white men managed it. That is a true statement. It does not need to be racist unless you want to see it that way.

Like it or not, the Arab squatters are being used by their Arab brotheren to beat Israel daily. The surrounding Arab states don't give a damn about them and will not take them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very good:  Jews = Slave Owners.  Never heard that one before.
Someday, when you finally get into 6th grade you will learn who the real Palestinians were/are.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope for a civil war.

One can only hope!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the territory Israel seized in '67 that had nothing to do with the original UN treaty creating the nation?  They were quick to give that back werent they?  IIRC, they're STILL there!

And as for automatically calling them "squatters"  I suppose you buy into the "God promised us this land" argument?

Even the UN respects land gained in defensive action. If you attack me I am entitled to anything I gain in repelling you. Israel could own half of Egypt by international convention but gave it back. You really need some history lessons.

They were not "displaced", they left. They expected to return to the land formerly known as Israel and own the place outright. They gambled and lost. Tough crap for them. Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid. Had they stayed put they would currently be Israeli citizens and be in the position to breed the Jews out of the land. Maybe God IS looking out for the Jews after all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Please, enlighten me, who, exactally, are the Palestenians?  I am pretty sure that they are the arab people that moved into the land occupied centures ago by the nation of Israel, a nation that for various unfortunate reasons ceased to exist.

Regardless of who they may or may not be, that does not give Israel the automatic right to treat them like they are.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:48:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seized? you mean the former territory of  jordan that was won after jordan attacked isreal during the 6 day war?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Please, enlighten me, who, exactally, are the Palestenians?  I am pretty sure that they are the arab people that moved into the land occupied centures ago by the nation of Israel, a nation that for various unfortunate reasons ceased to exist.

Regardless of who they may or may not be, that does not give Israel the automatic right to treat them like they are.

I don't think for one minute you have any idea what they are treated like. Jordan would exterminate them if they tried to enter there. Israel tolerates them and employes them and in case you have not heard has recently given back the Golan displacing it's own citizens in the process.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:53:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seized? you mean the former territory of  jordan that was won after jordan attacked isreal during the 6 day war?

This guy is looney toons, man!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Israel granted full citizenship to all of the "Palestinians" who stayed in Israel.  Those who left anticipating a quick defeat of the Jews and the pillaging to follow are shunned by their fellow arabs.  They belong in Jordan and Egypt, not Israel, but their arab brothers would rather keep them in refugee camps, trained to hate Jews, Christians, and Westerners in general.  Kind of like white liberals in America.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Israel granted full citizenship to all of the "Palestinians" who stayed in Israel.  Those who left anticipating a quick defeat of the Jews and the pillaging to follow are shunned by their fellow arabs.  They belong in Jordan and Egypt, not Israel, but their arab brothers would rather keep them in refugee camps, trained to hate Jews, Christians, and Westerners in general.  Kind of like white liberals in America.

This guy believes that evil Jews sailed in in 1948 and forced the Arabs (Palis) out at bayonet point, herded them into razorwire camps and shoots a few each week just for kicks! If he buys that, he is beyond educating.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the territory Israel seized in '67

Israel didn't seize it, Israel captured it, after the Arab nations started a war with Eretz Yisrael.

As part of the peace treaty with Israel after said arab nations got their asses handed to them, they gave the rights to said land over to Israel.

By your standards the United States would have to give Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California back to Mexico.

How's it feel to be such an idiot?

that had nothing to do with the original UN treaty creating the nation?

Just like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California had nothing to do with the British colonies that became the United States.

They were quick to give that back werent they?  IIRC, they're STILL there!

And Americans are still in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. Oh no, whatever shall we do! Call in the UN! Make the United States give that land back to Mexico!

And as for automatically calling them "squatters"

Because they are squatters, they refused to comply with the peace treaties of their home nations [that would be Egypt, Syria and Jordan, for those that missed middle school history].

I suppose you buy into the "God promised us this land" argument?

Why don't you go back to your white sheet, burning cross and zighails, the internet is no place for anti-Semitic idiots. Mostly because you get your asses handed to you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the territory Israel seized in '67

Israel didn't seize it, Israel captured it, after the Arab nations started a war with Eretz Yisrael.

As part of the peace treaty with Israel after said arab nations got their asses handed to them, they gave the rights to said land over to Israel.

By your standards the United States would have to give Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California back to Mexico.

How's it feel to be such an idiot?

that had nothing to do with the original UN treaty creating the nation?

Just like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California had nothing to do with the British colonies that became the United States.

They were quick to give that back werent they?  IIRC, they're STILL there!

And Americans are still in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. Oh no, whatever shall we do! Call in the UN! Make the United States give that land back to Mexico!

And as for automatically calling them "squatters"

Because they are squatters, they refused to comply with the peace treaties of their home nations [that would be Egypt, Syria and Jordan, for those that missed middle school history].

I suppose you buy into the "God promised us this land" argument?

Why don't you go back to your white sheet, burning cross and zighails, the internet is no place for anti-Semitic idiots. Mostly because you get your asses handed to you.

Well put, sir.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top