Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/24/2003 6:58:28 AM EDT
Anyone that knows my views on Christianity knows that I think most Christians are way off base with what they believe. Case in point. Eating Ham on Christmas to celibrate Jesus's birthday. Jesus the Christ was a "Jew of Jews", he was the "best" Jew that every lived and I think it's a slap in his face to eat Ham(pork, forbidden under Jewish law) on his birthday. Christians that wouldn't dare work on Sunday(a hold over from not working on the Jewish Sabbath) eat their fill of Ham on Christmas to Honnor the Christs birth. And ya'll have a hard time wondering why I'm  secptical about any thing I'm told about Christianity by a Christian.Now ya' know one reason why.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought it was a goose you're supposed to eat on Christmas? Make a new tradition, eat Spam.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Ham on Christmas is just right. I don't care if JC was a Rastafarian. The day is for him, the food is for me. [Homer] Mmmmm, spiral sliced [/homer]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If ham bothers you, then how 'bout fish sticks?

[img]http://www.gortons.com/images/home/fisherman.gif[/img][img]http://www.gortons.com/images/products/fishsticks_44_bg.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!  Who gives a shit, our family has lasagna for xmas sometmes...does that mean I'm going to hell?  Please take your christianbabble somewhere else.

- N20
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#5]
mmmmmmm....honey baked ham
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
actually i read an article on the history of pork in the NY times. Turns out to the christian eating a ham on christmas and easter was a direct insult and ridicule to jews! the christians of the last three hundred years equated the jew with a pig. they figured that the reason jews dont' eat pork is cause it's like cannibalism to them. So to prove their religion was 'the true' one they ate pork on holidays, though it's not required. on an interesting side note...ya know why Islam could never have colonised the western hemisphere? because two things needed for a successful colony to be established were Pork&beer! alcoholic drinks were needed because they were unable to secure a safe fresh water source either on the trip over there or once on land. and pigs were one of the only fodder that could survive the hashness of the first few years of a colony establishment.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am having Ham on Hannakah. [:D]
View Quote

Christmas without ham is just Hannukah.

(God, I [b]hate[/b] turkey!)
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jesus the Christ was a "Jew of Jews", he was the "best" Jew that every lived and I think it's a slap in his face to eat Ham(pork, forbidden under Jewish law) on his birthday. .
View Quote

[red]Acts 10:
9   On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
10   And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
11   And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
12   Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
13   And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
14   But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
15   And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.[/red]

The prohibition against certain meats was a Jewish custom under the cermonial Mosaic law, which Jesus Christ abolished as a requirement for living.

Christ was the founmder of CHRISTianity.

In short, you'll eat your ham, AND YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!!! [:D]

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Well if you look at it that way, then you shouldn't have unmarried sex, use profanity, or drink excessivley on Dec. 25th either...

To each his own, I guess...

Merry Christmas guys!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Matthew 15:11
"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not telling anyone not to eat ham, heck, I love ham and sweet 'taters. It's just strange to eat something to celibrate someones birth that they couldn't/didn't eat. I like what T-Stox posted. Sounds like something that would be done. Anyway, I really think Lamb would be a better choice but like some of ya'll have said, to each his own. Have a happy one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#13]
DUH!!!

The pig is a very honored beast in the pagan pantheon. A symbol of life. The pork came from the sacrifice of the animal.
Xmas is really a pagan celebration of the wiinter solstice- the originnal (re)birth of the sun. Jesus was probably born in the summer NOT in december.

Try google.com

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I can tell you God spoke to me and said

[GOD]BUY A 9 POUND SMOKED HAM and glaze it with brown sugar an little cloves and put some pinapple slices on it. Share it with your family.[/GOD]

I think thats a pretty good sign God wants me to have ham.
God loves me, thats what I think about when I eat ham

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a smoked turkey in the mail yesterday. Who the hell smokes turkeys? The damn thing stinks like hell. I'd rather have ham. I'd even try some goose. People should eat more goose. We get about 3 billion of those Canadian gooses during that special goosey time of year. They shit up the lakes like crazy. I wonder if all that goose shit screws up the fish... what were we talking about again?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Anal...please met your friend retentive.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's just strange to eat something to celibrate someones birth that they couldn't/didn't eat. .
View Quote

So to REALLY honor Jesus, men should start wearing long robes / dresses like He did???

[}:D]

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
actually i read an article on the history of pork in the NY times. Turns out to the christian eating a ham on christmas and easter was a direct insult and ridicule to jews! the christians of the last three hundred years equated the jew with a pig. they figured that the reason jews dont' eat pork is cause it's like cannibalism to them. So to prove their religion was 'the true' one they ate pork on holidays, though it's not required. on an interesting side note...ya know why Islam could never have colonised the western hemisphere? because two things needed for a successful colony to be established were Pork&beer! alcoholic drinks were needed because they were unable to secure a safe fresh water source either on the trip over there or once on land. and pigs were one of the only fodder that could survive the hashness of the first few years of a colony establishment.
View Quote

[groucho]Now that's the silliest thing I ever hoid[/groucho]

Really.  This is the first year we're having Ham on Christmas, and it's really only because we had Turkey for Thanksgiving!

Tradition in my family (goes back more than 150 years in these United States, and even further back to the Old Busse farm in Saxony, Germany) is Goose (or less often, turkey) on Christmas, and Ham on Easter.

Why ham on easter?  Because it represents the new freedom from the Old Testament law purchased by His death and resurrection.  As G-man quoted about the 'unclean' foods above.

As for when Christ was born - ok, if you're so upset about it being [b]celebrated[/b] on the 25th of December, [b]you[/b] pick a date - it'll be just as good/valid, and I'm sure [b]someone[/b] will pick it apart for the same reason.  Sheesh, it doesn't matter when (or even if) we celebrate it, but it is something we do.

Frankly, I've gotten tired of hearing "He wasn't [i]really[/i] born on the 25th" with the intimation that since we don't know for certain, we really shouldn't be celebrating it.  That's when we celebrate it, learn to live with it.

TN - I'd like to know if you've actually studied the Word of God (Bible) or if you've just simply listened to a bunch of other people that really haven't taken the time to understand what it means to live a Christian Life.  To be fair, there [b]are[/b] a lot of people out there that call themselves Christian, yet fail to understand what that really means, and it can't really be determined by looking at the denomination they belong to - altho there are a few general guidelines (I won't go into that here, it will result in a flame war I'm sure [;)])

On another note - see what happens when your married and you don't get any?  You get crabby, now if the wife would just get home...
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll be having a honeybaked ham in his honor tomorrow.
And besides, it pisses off the muslims. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#20]
If you think Christians are way off base in what they believe, why do you care what they eat??

it sounds to me like you just want to start an arguement.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I just think it's odd that so many "Christians" go around telling everyone how to live when they can't even get it right.I'm not trying to start an argument just trying to figure out why some Christians are such hypocrits about things. They'll tell us,"don't drink alcohol, it's wrong" when Jesus drank wine all the time. They'll run around dissing this or that group when Jesus taught Love not hate. They've totally given up their Jewish roots when, by all rights they should keep the holy days and sabbaths in the same way that their Lord and Saviour did. It makes me wonder what in heck a "Christian" is any more when they don't even really know or seem to care about their roots.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I eat Ham & Roast Beast
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#23]
If a Christian tells you no to drink alchohol because the Bible says so, they are sadly mistaken.  It never says that.  It says to do everything in moderation, do not drink to excess.  I have heard our pastor cite the verse numerous times, and I dobut that man has had a drink in thirty years (since college).

That's why it pisses me off when my inlaws freak out at the mere mention of the words "beer" or "booze".  And they are ultra religous Christians.....
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Ham at my house tomorrow.

Turkey is too big of a pain in the ass to cook when I have to be to work at 1800.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just think it's odd that so many "Christians" go around telling everyone how to live when they can't even get it right.I'm not trying to start an argument just trying to figure out why some Christians are such hypocrits about things. They'll tell us,"don't drink alcohol, it's wrong" when Jesus drank wine all the time. They'll run around dissing this or that group when Jesus taught Love not hate. They've totally given up their Jewish roots when, by all rights they should keep the holy days and sabbaths in the same way that their Lord and Saviour did. It makes me wonder what in heck a "Christian" is any more when they don't even really know or seem to care about their roots.
View Quote

Your comprehension of the New Testiment is less than dismal.

If you don't want to be a Christian then don't be. Be a man own up to your choices and quit thinking up lame  rationalizations and offering them as excuses.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Matthew 15:11
"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."
View Quote

Tainted pork?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Clueless.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Another Honey Baked Ham being eaten at my house tomorrow. So bite me!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#30]
For your information dport(and anyone else who gives a care)I spent 3 years at a Baptist High School and have read the Bible most of my 42 years. That's why I have some many questions about all these "so called" Christians with their attidudes. You could put 12 Christians in a room, ask them a question about the Bible and get 12 different answers. WHY???  No one can agree on anything. I think my view on what the Bible says is alot closer to the truth then 90% of the "Christians" out there.  If I'm going to believe something I'm darn sure going to know why I believe it and not just take some guys word for it. The fact that we no longer have to follow the Law doesn't mean that it's no longer valid in our everyday life. The 10 Commandments are just as valid today for Christians as they were/are for Jews. Unless you want to throw away the Old Testement and just follow the New then what's in the Old should be just as much a part of your life as the New Testement. Take the Bible, the Whole Bible, for what is says and stop picking out the parts that you agree with and ignoring the parts that you don't agree with. Read Matt.7:21-23, not everyone you calls them-self a Christian is. Satan has done a real number on the Church with his lies and most Christians have bought into it hook,line and sinker.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I just think it's odd that so many "Christians" go around telling everyone how to live when they can't even get it right.
View Quote

I'm a Christian and the only thing I find myself "going around and telling" people is to GO AWAY. Live how you want, just GO AWAY.

Oh, and we eat fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and fried okra on Christmas in my house. Fish sticks for you this year, [b]TNFrank[/b]?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For your information dport(and anyone else who gives a care)I spent 3 years at a Baptist High School and have read the Bible most of my 42 years. That's why I have some many questions about all these "so called" Christians with their attidudes. You could put 12 Christians in a room, ask them a question about the Bible and get 12 different answers. WHY???  No one can agree on anything. I think my view on what the Bible says is alot closer to the truth then 90% of the "Christians" out there.  If I'm going to believe something I'm darn sure going to know why I believe it and not just take some guys word for it. The fact that we no longer have to follow the Law doesn't mean that it's no longer valid in our everyday life. The 10 Commandments are just as valid today for Christians as they were/are for Jews. Unless you want to throw away the Old Testement and just follow the New then what's in the Old should be just as much a part of your life as the New Testement. Take the Bible, the Whole Bible, for what is says and stop picking out the parts that you agree with and ignoring the parts that you don't agree with. Read Matt.7:21-23, not everyone you calls them-self a Christian is. Satan has done a real number on the Church with his lies and most Christians have bought into it hook,line and sinker.
View Quote

If you've read the Bible, as you've claimed, then you know the difference between a Christian-Jew and a Christian-Gentile. If you don't then you need to actually read for comprehension and not just to read it.

The Baptist high school doesn't impress me. I've known many people who have attended various Christian schools, Lutheran, Catholic, Baptist, etc., and they know as much about the Bible today as they know about Euclidian Geometry, that is to day not much.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I like duck. Duck for Christmas is good.

I wish we were having duck, but we're having turkey.

[:(]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#34]
My mother in law cooks a crappy ham every year for Christmas, It's not that I don't like ham, I just think hers sucks.
I am making a pot roast and bringing that over.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:48:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Mmmm......Honey baked ham.......

Damn I wish it was noon, rather than oh-dark-thirty (ok, ok, oh-dark-forty-five)
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Merry Christmas, my wife who has a Jewish family history, & traditions told my mom,& sister that she didn't get her Hanukah day lamb roast thawed out in time for passover, so were having HAM![rofl2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just think it's odd that so many "Christians" go around telling everyone how to live when they can't even get it right..
View Quote

YOu OBVIOUSLY haven't read the Scripture passage I cited above which PROVES your "ewating ham is wrong" theory to be ill conceived.

Sure, Christians ain't perfect. Cops aren't perfect wither. Does that render the laws of the land unenforceable?

Are you a father?? Are you without fault? Do you STILL YET HYPOCRITICALLY tell your children to do certain things??

But as it pertains this thread, your whole premise is wrong.

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am having Ham on Hannakah. [:D]
View Quote

Christmas without ham is just Hannukah.

(God, I [b]hate[/b] turkey!)
View Quote

I am with you, "Honey Baked Ham" is what I like, screw the bird, give me my ham.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#39]
[sarcasm mode]  Lasagna?  Sounds pretty pagan to me! [\sarcasm mode]

My family gets burned out on turkey after Thanksgiving, and if it isn't a ham, we have a rib roast.  I don't care much for duck or goose.  I'm guessing it's because I never had one that was prepared right.  Maybe next year I'll make a suggestion we have lobster, or crab...  
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Wow...no ham or pork on Xmas?
That's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing.
I guess I must be a heathen and should repent.

In the meantime, I have lechon asado to tend to.
[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Once again people have taken my words and twisted them all out of shape. I NEVER said not to eat ham on Christmas or even that it was a "sin" to do so. What I said was that it is very odd to eat something for Jesus's birthday that he couldn't eat when he was here. Period, end of story. Eat dirt for Christmas if that's what you want to have all I'm trying to say is it funny to eat pork to celebrate a Jews birthday.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Once again people have taken my words and twisted them all out of shape. I NEVER said not to eat ham on Christmas or even that it was a "sin" to do so. What I said was that it is very odd to eat something for Jesus's birthday that he couldn't eat when he was here. Period, end of story. Eat dirt for Christmas if that's what you want to have all I'm trying to say is it funny to eat pork to celebrate a Jews birthday.
View Quote

A Jew that in effect founded Christianity. Read the Acts scripture that was quoted on the first page.

I think ham is highly appropriate on Christmas. After all, it is Christ who made it possible for us to be saved by Grace and not by the Law of Moses.

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#43]
How about spam ? Is that as bad as ham ?

[size=6][red] MERRY CHRISTMAS[/red] [/size=6]  
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#44]
If we go and study the founding of CHristianity, it was in 325 CE, (AD) It was founded by Constantine  the Byzantine Emperor. He did it soley to bring order to his empire. CHristmas day is actualy Saturnalia, a pagan festival.
If you want to find a religion that was bases onthe teachings of Jesus, THe Celtic Church is the way to go.
It was founded by James the brother of Jesus and Joseph the son of Jesus. It was all throught outhte British Isles. It was Connected by Marriage to Arch Druid. At no point was it called Christianity as Cristos is a tittle, It means the 'annointed one'

Actually the history of the first 4 centuries of 'CHristianity' is fascinating, it laid the groundwork for future generations of deceit.

Study Jesus and you will see a man that never stopped being a Jew, His ministry is one that is worth believing in, not the fiction that was created by historians..
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#45]
...he was the "best" Jew that every lived....
View Quote

Hardly!

First of all isn't it [b]H[/b]e?

Second, if He was the best Jew that ever lived then why was He crucified?

Because He was not following the teachings of Judaism or their laws.

He didn't keep the Sabboth (John 9:16) or observe the cleansing rituals (Mark 7:2).  But I am sure you learned all of that at that Baptist high school of yours.

In their eyes He was a heretic and was put to death as such.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there a big 'ole Honey Baked Ham on the table at the Last Supper.

Again Jesus called the crowd
       to him and said, "Listen to me,
       everyone, and understand this.
       Nothing outside a man can make
       him 'unclean' by going into
       him.  Rather, it is what comes
       out of a man that makes 'unclean.'"
       (Mark 7:14-17)

edited to fix a few citations.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Jesus was angry withthe hypocrisy of the Jews, mostly the wealthy and politically powerful.
For the same reason that we have the uprising of the Maccabees, he was in rebellion with false Jews.
That is why a rich man can not get intot he kingdom of heaven, he is a hyporcrite. Judisam is a very simple and elenmental religion, can't make money form it.
If you wnat to be rich start a religion...then money and power come your way. Only thing is G*d is lost in the journey.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Make a new tradition, eat Spam.
View Quote

Mmmmm, Spam musubi! A Hawaiian staple.

At our family gathering, we had great home-made tamales and tortillas, guacamole, rice & beans, marinated octopus and for dessert, my aunt's awesome pumpkin pie.

I don't see anything odd about ham on Christmas. If we'd have had that on the table, it would've gone down, too! [:)]
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If we go and study the founding of CHristianity, it was in 325 CE, (AD) It was founded by Constantine  the Byzantine Emperor. He did it soley to bring order to his empire. CHristmas day is actualy Saturnalia, a pagan festival.
If you want to find a religion that was bases onthe teachings of Jesus, THe Celtic Church is the way to go.
It was founded by James the brother of Jesus and Joseph the son of Jesus. It was all throught outhte British Isles. It was Connected by Marriage to Arch Druid. At no point was it called Christianity as Cristos is a tittle, It means the 'annointed one'

Actually the history of the first 4 centuries of 'CHristianity' is fascinating, it laid the groundwork for future generations of deceit.

Study Jesus and you will see a man that never stopped being a Jew, His ministry is one that is worth believing in, not the fiction that was created by historians..
View Quote

you are really way out there -and way wrong!!!

Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

you are really way out there -and way wrong!!!

View Quote

Constantine moved the base of the roman empire from rome, to byzantium. He had a vison of the sun( his personal symbol) superomposed with a cross. He saw it as a way to concouer his enemies. He had his soldiers paint the symbol on their shields.
everyone seems to forget the christianity was not always a significant religion. There was a lot of choas and change and divisions within the Jesus folowers.

and on the pork:

"Why do most (pagans) eat pork or ham at the Yule Feast?

Originally this was a time to sacrifice to the god Frey for a bountiful Spring and eventual harvest. Our ancient ancestors did this by ritually killing a wild boar. This was one of the main aspects of the Mid-Winter Festival in Northern Europe. Its cooked flesh was then eaten at a great Feast. This activity was often combined with the burning of a giant Sunwheel, which was then rolled down a hill, to entice Sunna to return. This Pagan practice continued, in Europe, well into the 12th century C.E. When the wild boar began to vanish, they were replaced with domestic pigs, of which there was ample supply. Eventually this was replaced by a token offering of a Boar's Head, and apple or an orange in it's mouth. To this day, this ancient heathen tradition is still observed by many Christians at "Christmas". Many colleges in Europe present the "boars head" at the Yule Feast, as a long standing tradition. Today most Asátrúar will simply have a slice of ham at the Yule Feast, but in doing so they are keeping alive a tradition that goes back for many thousands of years... when to chew on a juicy piece of pork, was to ensure that Nature would become bountiful once again."
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Once again people have taken my words and twisted them all out of shape. I NEVER said not to eat ham on Christmas or even that it was a "sin" to do so. [red]What I said was that it is very odd to eat something for Jesus's birthday that he couldn't eat when he was here.[/red] Period, end of story. Eat dirt for Christmas if that's what you want to have all I'm trying to say is it funny to eat pork to celebrate a Jews birthday.
View Quote

Where'd you get the idea Jesus couldn't eat pork?
Some Jews do indeed eat pork.
I'll bet Jesus did, too.
Why wouldn't He?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top