Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2001 7:52:43 PM EDT
I was looking at two trancievers at Radio Shack. One 2m, one 2m, 70cm. Any comments on them, or Radio Shack products, anyone know who makes them, Thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Alinco makes some of them. So-so quality. The prices of Icom, Yaesu and Kenwood ham gear have dropped significantly in the past year or so — They're now just about as cheap as Radio Shack stuff, with top-notch quality.

[url]http://www.texastowers.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I cannot stress enough how cool the Yaesu VX-5R for a handheld trasceiver.  I own a few of the Rat Shack models, and I'd suggest not investing in them.  Any of the names Skibane suggested are good names in transceivers.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The Rad Sack units aren't too bad, but I'd have to reccommend the Yaesu FT-50.
5W 2m/70cm dual band, wideband recieve (~80-900+Mhz), weather resistant, and fairly reasonable at around $250.

I bought mine in july on many recommendations from friends, and have been quite impressed with this little radio.

[url]http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft50r.html[/url]

Editied cause I borked up the link.

AR
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm still using my 18 year old boat anchor Kenwood TH-215A!  Even the nicads are still working fine. If it ever quits I can use it as a club. Buy good stuff - especially now while prices are low.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, RS had a dual band on sale for $150. But I like the idea of being able to use it as a scanner. I guess I will go with abetterr rig. I was also looking at the  Yaesu FT817, I like the idea a of working Qrp, but I also like  being able to take it anywhere.
Especially if the world gets real stupid. Any thoughts on linears for it or other compact HF/VHF rigs
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, RS had a dual band on sale for $150. But I like the idea of being able to use it as a scanner. I guess I will go with abetterr rig. I was also looking at the  Yaesu FT817, I like the idea a of working Qrp, but I also like  being able to take it anywhere.
Especially if the world gets real stupid. Any thoughts on linears for it or other compact HF/VHF rigs
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#7]
All they talk about on the local repeaters is so and so is sick, so and so died.  Really quite depressing.  I keep the radio off unless I need it.

Scott
KD7NMN
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
My dad (WB8SAT) was a big Ham (a phrase we liked to toss around a lot). He's gone now, but I'm a little curious about getting into it myself. How much study and investment is involved?
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Alinco radios can be good, but some are just so-so. I have three of them. Radio Shack can have good deals on HAM gear if it is a sales price. Check out their website. If not, I would expect to find better elsewhere. Of course, YMMV.

W7***
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Cannot find my catalog, but check out Ham Radio Outlet.com or HRO, don't remember which. They have all the popular brands. I've ordered from them myself. Will give you a good idea on pricing on Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, etc.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The HTX 202 discontinued several years back was a well built radio with a lot of great features for a single band radio.  It's a brick compared to modern radios though.

KE4NTY
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Wake- I spent a month studying the "Now your talking" book you can get from the ARRL(www.arrl.org) for the Technician(no morse code)license, and the test was a breeze. I bought a Kenwood TM-261 mobile radio(2M band-most common ham band) for the truck and father in law gave me cheap Alinco 2M hand held and I am in buisiness. Well worth it! Good luck...
Steve(KD7HXG)
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Wake, I have wanted to get my license for 30+ years, I am going to do it now, it isn't as bad as before. My nephew is a Tech plus, simple test and 5 wpm in code. I have always been interested in QRP, the Yaesu 817 looks like the rig I want. Texas Towers is a great site, Thanks Ski.
I am also looking at the ICOM 81a, it does 4 bands to the 2 of Radio Shack, only a $100 more.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey Wake, I have wanted to get my license for 30+ years, I am going to do it now, it isn't as bad as before. My nephew is a Tech plus, simple test and 5 wpm in code. I have always been interested in QRP, the Yaesu 817 looks like the rig I want. Texas Towers is a great site, Thanks Ski.
I am also looking at the ICOM 81a, it does 4 bands to the 2 of Radio Shack, only a $100 more.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My dad (WB8SAT) was a big Ham (a phrase we liked to toss around a lot). He's gone now, but I'm a little curious about getting into it myself. How much study and investment is involved?
View Quote

Things have really changed since I first considered this.  The 5 wpm code should be easily learned with the available training aids (I got the ARRL 2-CD set --audio, not a program).  I hear it's a receive-only test now.

The written exams also seem easier by far.  I believe it's ALL multiple choice, no drawing of circuits, etc.  My impression is that there is a lot less electronic theory than before.

Getting a General license right off the bat is not too much of a stretch.  I believe they discontinued new Novice and Advanced licensing.

The Tech exam seems like something that many people could do as long as they set aside a few hours a week to study the "Now You're Talking" book.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#16]
TheWind, you asked about linears and QRP radios. For linears, you might also check out the SG-500 SmartPowerCube from SGC Communications ( [url]http://www.sgcworld.com[/url] ). It combines a 500 watt linear with rudimentary antenna-tuning capabilities. Also, SGC’s SG-2020 is a nice little HF transceiver that will operate for hours on D cells, yet still puts out 20 watts PEP. I've never used either of these products, but they seem to enjoy good reputations. In particular, Gordon West has reviewed them favorably in his column.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top