Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 2:58:26 PM EDT
Nearly everyone that's flown United from LA to Hawaii has played this.  They give you some information like airspeed for the first half of the flight, total distance, takeoff time, wind correction factor but I contend it'a still mostly a guess.

I had a GPS with me and got a location near the time I originally figured.  Some quick re-figuring told me this guess was wrong by about 10 minutes, so a few minutes before what my GPS was telling me would be halfway I started to watch the miles tick off and when it hit 1314 miles (regular miles, not nautical miles) I checked the time and wrote it down.  I got second place, someone nearby (maybe they overheard my prediction:() was about 10 seconds closer.

I contend you'd have to have some pretty good information on takeoff of the climb rate, time to cruise speed, etc to really even make a good guess, let alone the change in the tail or head wind.  I checked on the way back and we went 500 miles in the first hour after takeoff and 588 miles in the second hour.  Both directions we landed early, 30 minutes on the way back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I participated in a machine gun shoot halfway to Hawaii.  Nice place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top