Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/28/2004 6:53:57 AM EST

pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/542987p1.html?reload=true

Half-Life 2 Going Gold? (PC)
Gabe Newell tells forumites that the game will be gold on Monday.

By John Keefer | Aug. 27, 2004

Is Half-Life 2 going gold on Monday? According to Gabe Newell, it is.

Newell announced in a forum post on Half-Life 2 Fallout, that the game was indeed going gold on Monday. Very brief and to the point with no details. Newell is known to post most of his community news in these forums, so there seems to be little doubt it is a legitimate forum post.

An email request to Newell to confirm has yet to be answered, but we will update if we get confirmation.

Newell has been releasing information slowly to the community over the last couple of months. Just recently, he announced preloading of encrypted Half-Life 2 files to individuals via Steam.

In late July, he announced the basic computer spex needed to run the game would be a 1.2Ghz processor, 256Mb of RAM and a DirectX 7 enabled graphics card, although to really enjoy the bells and whistles of the game Valve recommends a 2.4Ghz processor, 512Mb of RAM and a DirectX 9 card.

Although nothing official has been release from Valve or Vivendi, several retail chains show on their web sites that the game is due out on Sept. 1 or 2. A gold announcement now would be in line with that. In the meantime, stay tuned. We'll stay on top of the breaking information.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:58:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/28/2004 7:00:06 AM EST by mjohn3006]
I'm so there!!

One of the reasons I just built a new system was HL2.

AMD 3000+ 64 bit processor, 512 RAM, GeForce 4 with 128 RAM onboard.

Bring on the graphics.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:59:56 AM EST
Sounds like the same type of "official rumors" that were flying around before Nov. 15 about Halo 2. I think there'd be a little more warning before the release of a game like Half-Life 2.

Digital
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:19:55 AM EST
From Planet Half-Life

Gabe Newell just broke the news on the HL2Fallout forums - Half-Life 2 is set to go gold this Monday, August 30th. Read it for yourself over in this thread at HL2Fallout!

Thanks to ShAdOw for the heads up.

*UPDATE* The post is in fact a fake post, according to CS-Nation the account was hacked and the gold notice is false. *UPDATE*

*UPDATE* The Gabe Newell poser has continued to post using Gabe's user account on the Half-Life 2 Fallout Forums. The Moral of the Story: Never use your first name and last initial as a password. *UPDATE*

*UPDATE*
We now have an official comment from VALVe's Chris Bokitch over at the Steam User Forums:

false.

Do you really think the gold announcement will be made with a 4 word forum post?

*UPDATE*

Sorry guys...
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:21:33 AM EST

Find the fucker that posted under Gabe's name and string the fucker up by his balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:26:39 AM EST
I talked to a clerk at EBX yesterday, and she said that the release date was on the first or second of sept.

You would at least think that a clerk at EBX would have access to the OFFICIAL release date for their own store, so I'm guessing that is the real date.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:28:19 AM EST
There is no real date yet besides "When it's done."

Don't believe any of those retail stores. They don't have any more information then we do. All their dates are the results of rumors and speculation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:17:29 AM EST
It's gonna be soon though. HL2 showed up on the Steam menu for pre-purchase in the last day or 2.

I'm gonna need a new processor for this...
Top Top