Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 7/23/2013 12:57:00 PM EST
Metal roofing, both installers (2 out of 4 on our crew) failed / refused to take their drug test today.

One guy had been with us a couple years and had just gotten a raise to $19.50 / hr. Full benefits, paid vacation...

I have never seen the appeal of drugs especially when you weigh them against the real cost. These guys don't have a very bright future now. At all.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:57:38 PM EST
Some people are just dumbasses.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:57:54 PM EST
Why did you feel the need to drug test them?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:58:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2013 12:58:37 PM EST by BallisticTip]
Thats to bad, a good wage these days.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:58:25 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slateman:
View Quote

Insurance?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:58:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By JCKnife:
Metal roofing, both installers (2 out of 4 on our crew) failed / refused to take their drug test today.

One guy had been with us a couple years and had just gotten a raise to $19.50 / hr. Full benefits, paid vacation...

I have never seen the appeal of drugs especially when you weigh them against the real cost. These guys don't have a very bright future now. At all.
View Quote

Does anyone pass a piss test on the construction site?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:58:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2013 12:59:57 PM EST by JCKnife]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's our policy to have random drug tests (and they knew it). All four crew members tested. The two we still have came back clean.

Originally Posted By Undefined

Insurance?

Yes, that's another reason.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:59:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2013 12:59:34 PM EST by Zcwilkins]

View Quote

Impossible to quantify, everyone always has the "not me" attitude. That goes for drugs, violent crime, or anything really.

Decisions have consequences, don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 12:59:46 PM EST
View Quote

There's insurance, and also if I had people working with power nailers and sharp sheet metal, I'd certainly want to be sure they weren't on narcotics.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:00:18 PM EST

View Quote

And how did that benefit you?

You just lost a trained and valuable employee who obviously never fucked off at work.

Good job!

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:00:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By Luchs:

There's insurance, and also if I had people working with power nailers and sharp sheet metal, I'd certainly want to be sure they weren't on narcotics.
View All Quotes

Exactly. The guy who refused to test, I assume it was just pot. The guy who tried and failed, lit up half the board. Cocaine, PCP...sheesh.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:00:55 PM EST
View Quote

Do you want a couple guys that are on a marijuana rampage going berserk with nail guns?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:01:20 PM EST
View Quote

Oh, gosh, I don't know. Insurance, maybe?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:02:24 PM EST

Exactly. The guy who refused to test, I assume it was just pot. The guy who tried and failed, lit up half the board. Cocaine, PCP...sheesh.

View All Quotes

Wow, why the fuck even bother with the test!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:02:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By gonzo_beyondo:

You just lost a trained and valuable employee who obviously never fucked off at work.

Good job!

View All Quotes

Good job!

And the odds of someone doing an epic eff-up that can get someone killed because they're spaced out on opiates...? Sorry, once someone makes the decision to start doing drugs, I think they're responsible for the consequences of their actions. I'd not want them working for me. OP did the right thing, I think.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:02:52 PM EST
Roofers.

My shocked face:
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:02:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
Some people are just dumbasses.
View Quote
I knew a guy that got kicked off the FD for pissing hot.

Nice guy, good fireman, did something really dumb... and paid dearly for it.

All I could do was shake my head.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:02:56 PM EST
View Quote

He's the boss, his rules?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:03:01 PM EST
And these guys were good workers otherwise?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:03:22 PM EST
View Quote

Roofing installer? Employees on drugs? Disaster waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:03:28 PM EST
don't worry!!! the fucking union will get the dopers job back for them!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:03:40 PM EST
I hired a guy on Thursday and he pasted the wise quiz. Then the following weekend was a long holiday weekend and he failed the random test on Tuesday. Shit happens!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:03:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By Jeff4187:

Do you want a couple guys that are on a marijuana rampage going berserk with nail guns?
View All Quotes

This man gets it. Marijuana nail gun rampages are no joking matter.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:03:58 PM EST
View Quote

What could possibly go wrong with drugged up guys working many feet off the ground, and
what could possibly happen to his workman's comp rates?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:04:37 PM EST
Bummer for their dependents.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:05:00 PM EST
Come on you old goat! Don't you want to be a "cool" boss?

I just don't get the whole drug thing. Sad to see people purposely sabotage their own future.

The guy who tried and failed, lit up half the board. Cocaine, PCP...sheesh.
View Quote

Holee crap...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:05:24 PM EST
You can't expect much for $19.50 an hour I suppose.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:06:21 PM EST
We drug test employees in certain positions, saves over six figures a year so I have no problem with it. I personally give zero fucks what they do in their off time but business is business. Think of what happens if he accidentally hurts or kills someone and tests positive, company is screwed if they piss hot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:06:22 PM EST

Good job!

Spoken like a pothead? If any substance is more important than your job, I think you really have to take a look at yourself. I don't care if it's cigarettes,pot, booze, roids, chocolate, 5 hr energy or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I could care less what your "thing" is but if an employer says we don't need workers in any sort of "un-natural state". I'm sure they knew it when they signed up. They gambled and you both lost. Sucks to let substance control your life.
View All Quotes

Good job!

Spoken like a pothead? If any substance is more important than your job, I think you really have to take a look at yourself. I don't care if it's cigarettes,pot, booze, roids, chocolate, 5 hr energy or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I could care less what your "thing" is but if an employer says we don't need workers in any sort of "un-natural state". I'm sure they knew it when they signed up. They gambled and you both lost. Sucks to let substance control your life.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:06:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:07:27 PM EST
The no drugs rule was a condition of employment. They knew it. They violated it. They got canned.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:07:33 PM EST
Damn thats pretty good pay.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:07:49 PM EST

View All Quotes

How about so relaxed from pot they are lazy or falling asleep. I'm sure that profits your business.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:07:56 PM EST

And the odds of someone doing an epic eff-up that can get someone killed because they're spaced out on opiates...? Sorry, once someone makes the decision to start doing drugs, I think they're responsible for the consequences of their actions. I'd not want them working for me. OP did the right thing, I think.
View All Quotes

Good job!

"Hey, I've got a great crew of well trained people, time to look for a reason to shit can half of them!"

I don't know who you think ends up in the lurch, here? A good roofer is onto another job and site the next damn day. Good luck finding a good roofer when you need one though. There's more jobs for skilled tradespeople than there are skilled tradespeople.

I'd wager something like 70-80% of people in the trades smoke pot. I'm not just guessing here.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:08:34 PM EST

View All Quotes

How about so relaxed from pot they are lazy or falling asleep. I'm sure that profits your business.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:08:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By EHenry:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EHenry:

That's almost as bad as them leaving their pot needles laying around.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:08:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By Lord_Grey_Boots:
The no drugs rule was a condition of employment. They knew it. They violated it. They got canned.
View Quote

Yep.

I've seen people pay quite dearly for their love of pot. I'll never understand it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:09:40 PM EST

That's almost as bad as them leaving their pot needles laying around.

View Quote

Marijuana AIDS is no laughing matter.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:09:51 PM EST
Great, now they can smoke dope and benefit from FSA.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:10:18 PM EST
At least 3 times I took guys in for their random whiz quiz and only made it out of the shop parking lot before they told me they were not going to pass. One guy even said he had smoked weed at 0600 that day.
We prolly piled up 15 in five years for refusal or positive piss test. Our customers in the energy field all required pre employment and random tests. Hell, they would even show up on the job sites with their own security peeps and test everyone just because.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:10:39 PM EST
Civilian drug tests are ridiculously easy to cheat on.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:10:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By Chromekilla:
View Quote

It's pretty hard work too. I'd say it's probably low to average for that kind of job.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:11:00 PM EST

View Quote

You're the only employer around? Most likely they'll go across the street and get another job. Maybe one not on a roof to boot. You'll be out of business if you drug test construction workers around here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:11:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By DVCER:
At least 3 times I took guys in for their random whiz quiz and only made it out of the shop parking lot before they told me they were not going to pass. One guy even said he had smoked weed at 0600 that day.
We prolly piled up 15 in five years for refusal or positive piss test. Our customers in the energy field all required pre employment and random tests. Hell, they would even show up on the job sites with their own security peeps and test everyone just because.
View Quote

Yep.

And good luck getting workers comp insurance at anything near a (relatively speaking) reasonable rate without the drug tests.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:11:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2013 1:12:57 PM EST by hyperjoe]
if he was a good worker, I would have given him 6 months after the knowing drug test shown use. This way, you do not threaten your business or his well being. It seems a win/win to me this way.

EDIT: if for insurance understandable.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:12:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By 99Zeus99:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 99Zeus99:

That's why he's been employed for years, right?

Fuckin' 13ers.

Worse than potheads.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:12:34 PM EST
View Quote

It's pretty hard work too. I'd say it's probably low to average for that kind of job. (at least in this area and wages suck bad here)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:12:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By bluetick357:
You can't expect much for $19.50 an hour I suppose.
View Quote

That would probably be a very good wage in Kentucky with the cost of living in the area.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:13:08 PM EST

Bullshit, he fired someone who knew the rules and thought they did not apply to him.

Good job!

View All Quotes

Bullshit, he fired someone who knew the rules and thought they did not apply to him.

Good job!

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:13:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By maximumj:

You're the only employer around? Most likely they'll go across the street and get another job. Maybe one not on a roof to boot. You'll be out of business if you drug test construction workers around here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maximumj:

No shit.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:13:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By SuperJanitor:

It's pretty hard work too. I'd say it's probably low to average for that kind of job. (at least in this area and wages suck bad here)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperJanitor:

Yeah I know I've done all types of roofing. Not for my job, but helping out and I'd do it all day long for $20 per hour if I didn't have anything else going on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Top Top