Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/14/2004 1:22:49 PM EST
So, I was driving from WI last night after work (got off at 11pm) out to visit my fiance in SD. Since I was in WI, I had my USP cased in the trunk and a 15 rd mag of Winchester Ranger 127 gr +p+ in the case, but not loaded in the gun. I also had my AR, and a .22 rifle cased in the trunk.

So, I'm driving west on 90/94, and I'm going pretty fast (76-78) or so. Around WI Dells, I notice this truck coming up behind me with some ridiculously bright and misaligned driving/fog lights. It's a green ricey looking truck, big muffler, tinted windows, purple ground effects, flashy wheels. So, I move over, let him pass, and he's really cruising (85 or so) so I give him 1/4 mile, speed up and figure he can be cop bait.

He's a ways up, and its really dark, and all of the sudden, I see these SUPER bright lights shining in MY direction. I thought it was a frickin train. I slow down, then catch up, and see it was a trucker turning on some rear spotlights, probably to show the guy his lights are too damn bright. I think, well, Im not the only one thinking that.

So I follow him for about 20 mins, and all of the sudden he slows down to like 65. At first I thought maybe he has a radar detector, so I slow down and pull behind him. After a few minutes I say hell with this, so I pass him up and speed up to about 80 (any cops reading this, please dont mail me a ticket). He speeds up and starts following me pretty close, and his lights are frickin BLINDING. I turn out my mirrors, and try to ignore him. Then he speeds up and gets right on my tail, (2 lane each direction interstate, no one else, could have easily passed me). So I say hell with this, slow down and he goes around me.

I pull into the left lane behind him and flick my brights on for a moment, to let him know his lights were really annoying (I didnt leave them on, wasnt trying to be an ass). He hits his flashers and continues on, about 75 mph, slower than I want to drive. So, I slow down and let him go. He pulls ahead, but I dont lose sight of him. A few mins later, he slows down to like 50! In a 65 zone. So I go to pass him, and figure I'll just throttle up and smoke him. So, I pass him, and he steps on it. He gets behind me, and turns his lights on and off, and turns his really bright ones on again, and rides my ass. So I floor it.

I have a 98 Jetta GLX, and its pretty fast. So, I get it cranking up well over 100, but he obviosuly did something with his truck and while he's not right on my ass, he's keeping up. This is when I start digging for my phone, thinking exactly where in the trunk my pistol is, and REALLY wishing I had an AR-mag loaded and I hadnt left my surfire M952 at home so my fiancee wouldnt find out I bought it.

So, we're flying at night, and I see 90/94 splits a mile up. So, I slow down quickly, and he passes on the right. I get into the right lane, hoping I can make him think I need 90 (right) and if he's in front of me, will go that way, then I can cut back left and take 94. He slows way down, and I pass him again - I don't want to stop my car, or slow down enough for him to shoot if he has a gun - at this point, I should have been calling the police, but I just didnt have time. So I step on it, stay in the right lane, he's in the left now. I'm heading toward the 90 split, he's catching up, and at the last second, I slam on the brakes, he flies by on the left, and I cut across 4 lanes to make the 94 split.

I floor it, he's on the other fork, and hitting his brakes. I thought for sure he was turning around. I've got 911 dialed and my finger on the send button. I wait, I drive, and I don't see him anymore.

I then drove for 20 minutes, didn't see anyone, and pulled off for gas. I went to the trunk, made my pistol and flashlight more accessible, loaded and AR mag, and stuck a flashlight in my belt.

Thankfully, I didnt see him again - either he kept going on 90, or he turned around and couldn't find me. My adrenaline was pumping like mad, I don't know what it feels like to be on speed, or crack, but thats what it seemed like to me.

On top of that, 4 or 5 hours later (about 6 am, I'm 45 mins from the end of my journey.) Im on a 2 lane road in SD, and it is frickin dark. People are forgetting to dim their brights, and there are a lot of trucks so it is DAMN hard to see.

Anyways, I'm driving, and I see some REALLY bright lights ahead (not the same guy, dont worry). Im like "what the hell?" and I say out loud to myself "that looks like death" One car has its brights on, so I flash my headlights. nothing, I do it again, nothing... I start slowing down when I realize THERE ARE TWO CARS SIDE BY SIDE, ONE OF THE IN MY LANE!!! So I go to the right onto the shoulder, and this guy does the same. I pull the car back all the way across the road and slide down into a grassy ditch between the road and a cornfield. The other cars zip by, I don't know how, but I managed to keep the car under control, slowed down, and pulled it back on the road.

What a night! Im getting jumpy again after typing this. Man, it was wierd. I just knew something was wrong with that truck, and I just knew there was something seriously wrong with those lights heading at me on the country road.

Lesson learned: never leave the surefire light at home b/c you dont want the fiance to know about it. I told her I got one anyways, and she just thought it was cool. I would have really needed it if the shit hit the fan on the side of the road. I think Im going to look for a pistol light too for my HK.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:27:25 PM EST
get his license plate?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:30:46 PM EST
I didn't - it was a WI plate, I would have called him in it I did. By the time I figured I should get his tags, I didnt want to get up close enough to him to look, figuring he could slam on the brakes and cause a wreck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:31:13 PM EST
For assholes like that I have a kc daylighter aimed rearward.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:32:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:
For assholes like that I have a kc daylighter aimed rearward.

i use the my ol' Surefire Double-Bird.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:40:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 1:43:21 PM EST by cyanide]

edit misunderstood
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:42:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 1:47:10 PM EST by AdrianUSP9]
edit: no problem :)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:50:18 PM EST
Damn Wisconsinites!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:54:59 PM EST
edit: ok
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:55:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 1:58:40 PM EST by Sturmwehr]
So, I'm driving west on 90/94, and I'm going pretty fast (76-78) or so. Around WI Dells, I notice this truck coming up behind me with some ridiculously bright and misaligned driving/fog lights. It's a green ricey looking truck, big muffler, tinted windows, purple ground effects, flashy wheels. So, I move over, let him pass, and he's really cruising (85 or so) so I give him 1/4 mile, speed up and figure he can be cop bait.

I laugh at ricers. Many are annoying middle-class kids spending their money upgrading daddy's truck, and trying to be "gansta."

Upgrades or not, a Nissan Sentra laughably kills Honda Civics on sight.

The good thing about these "gangstas" is that they talk shit, but never do a damn thing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:00:37 PM EST
A UTL with fresh batteries is one bright light and it fits the USP really well. I have one on my USP45F, and I love how bright it is with fresh batteries. The batteries don't last long though, they are two 'N' sized batts.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:02:29 PM EST
Both incidents sound like kids being kids. Take it easy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:03:29 PM EST
sounds like alcohol or crank fueled road rage, it is the meth belt
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:05:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 2:08:31 PM EST by AdrianUSP9]

I laugh at ricers. Many are annoying middle-class kids spending their money upgrading daddy's truck, and trying to be "gansta."

Upgrades or not, a Nissan Sentra laughably kills Honda Civics on sight.

The good thing about these "gangstas" is that they talk shit, but never do a damn thing.

Maybe that was my problem - he saw me laughing at his truck.

Both incidents sound like kids being kids. Take it easy.

Probably true on the first one. The cars in SD though were a Buick and something else, maybe a caddy or something - I doubt many kids are out cruising at 5:30 - I think it was just some dumb fuck who was passing when he shouldnt have been

sounds like alcohol or crank fueled road rage, it is the meth belt

LOL. My fiance lives in Yankton. They call it "Crankton" because it is a big meth trafficking area. The WI guy was probably high on something, that would explain his speeding up and slowing down for no reason...

SO-COM - thanks, Ill look into the UTL - Ive been recommended that before
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:13:09 PM EST
Nice driving.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:29:24 PM EST
You focking prick! I almost had you until you pulled that amature lane switch. I would've turned to follow you but my cousin sitting next to me kept saying that if I loved her like I proved earlier that night I'd slow down. Next time I'm gonna hit the turbo nitrous and my Nissan is gonna kick your tinted-window-Jetta ass! Beyotch! You should've known better than to fuck with someone who can afford purple ground effects! That shit cost me three weeks wages from Hardees and a case of Highlife to buy it all from Ted. It's a good thing you didn't pull up beside me again or I'dda pulled out my chromed Raven and popped a cap in yo'ass.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:46:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 3:51:16 PM EST by TomJefferson]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:48:12 PM EST
you sound like a jerk just like the guy in the truck
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:14:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By xcell:

And you would have done.... what, exactly?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:22:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:27:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 4:28:58 PM EST by ZEN]
On a lonely two lane Montana road late one night I had a guy with a muscle car start messing with me. (my girlfriend was with me)

He was basicly trying to run us off the road and worse stuff.

I just pulled out my S&W 44mag out looked right at him and just tapped it on my side window when he was beside us in the oncomming lane. (going our direction)

He disappeared like new snow on a warm winters day.

End of problem. Good thing to, because my next action would have been to put a round through his side glass. I wasn't kidding around, this guy was endangering our lives, and wouldn't go away. (until Mr. 44 came into the conversation that is)

I never travel unarmed.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:31:04 PM EST

You focking prick! I almost had you until you pulled that amature lane switch. I would've turned to follow you but my cousin sitting next to me kept saying that if I loved her like I proved earlier that night I'd slow down. Next time I'm gonna hit the turbo nitrous and my Nissan is gonna kick your tinted-window-Jetta ass! Beyotch! You should've known better than to fuck with someone who can afford purple ground effects! That shit cost me three weeks wages from Hardees and a case of Highlife to buy it all from Ted. It's a good thing you didn't pull up beside me again or I'dda pulled out my chromed Raven and popped a cap in yo'ass.

Dude, you crack me up.

Sometimes you can't avoid assholes!

In incidents like that I either smoke their ass and leave them in my exhaust fumes or pull over and get a cup of Joe and let them go. If they want to take it to the next level mano y mano then they'd better hope they are btter armed than me.

BTW, you need a car with a little more guts. Situations like that it's torque and the ability to go from 80 to over 100 in seconds that leaves them in the dust. Though your Jetta would smoke the trucks ass on a curving road, interstate straight line, he's got the torque on you.

I hear you dude - if it would have been anywhere but the middle of nowhere, I would have pulled off and got a cup of coffee.

The Jetta is actually really quick - its a 2.8 6 cyl, 5 spd, 170 hp with 170 lb ft of torque. Does 0-60 in under 7, and Ive had it up to 130 on the track. I could have gone faster, but it was so dark, I was afraid I wouldnt be able to stay on the road. Oh, it was raining lightly too.

yes, I am a jerk.

Your girlfriend lives in South Dakota and you drive to visit her at 11 at night? Isn't there like a whole state between you and her like Minnesota or Iowa?

Without getting into too many details - we met in school, she graduated a year ahead of me, went to SD for a job, and to start a business with her dad. Im in WI for school until May 2005. Yeah, there's a Minnesota and change in between us - 7 hour drive, 500 miles. I enjoy driving though, so I dont mind all that much. Actually, the drive itself (aside from psychos) was cake - I drove 14 hours straight from WI to DC in one day - that was a drive
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:33:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 4:33:52 PM EST by AdrianUSP9]

On a lonely two lane Montana road late one night I had a guy with a muscle car start messing with me. (my girlfriend was with me)

I just pulled out my S&W 44mag out looked right at him and just tapped it on my side window when he was beside us in the oncomming lane. (going our direction)

End of problem. Good thing to, because my next action would have been to put a round through his side glass. I wasn't kidding around, this guy was endangering our lives, and wouldn't go away. (until Mr. 44 came into the conversation that is)

I never travel unarmed.

Not to hijack my own post, but whenever I watch police chases where people start driving against traffic or shit like that, I honestly wonder why they don't just open fire. If they were aiming a gun at someone, they would get shot instantly. Aiming a car is just as, if not more dangerous than a gun.

.44 mag - you don't mess around, do you?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:37:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Sometimes you can't avoid assholes!

In incidents like that I either smoke their ass and leave them in my exhaust fumes or pull over and get a cup of Joe and let them go. If they want to take it to the next level mano y mano then they'd better hope they are btter armed than me.

BTW, you need a car with a little more guts. Situations like that it's torque and the ability to go from 80 to over 100 in seconds that leaves them in the dust. Though your Jetta would smoke the trucks ass on a curving road, interstate straight line, he's got the torque on you.

Tj

My 1983 Jetta had a 16Valve transplant from a 86 Golf and would do 140MPH. The jump from 75-90 was nearly instant. I also had a speed-up-down and pass incident with a nut northbound from casle rock NM about 8 years ago. A ten minute burst of 140MPH got us permanently away from the Oldsmobile Ciera that was pulling that crap. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:52:47 PM EST
You are worried that your fiance will be mad,because you bought a flashlight?
You have better things to worry about than some freeway bullshit.

GM
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:07:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By Planerench:
My 1983 Jetta had a 16Valve transplant from a 86 Golf and would do 140MPH.

Sweet

former GTi 16V driver here.

A late model 2 liter 16V in an A1 Golf (Rabbit) or Jetta ROCKS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:52:10 PM EST
1. This will be a perfect justification for the M952XM. Your fiance won't let you hit the road without your AR and light.

2. I'm expecting your E2D back soon. Things are calming down for me so I'll try to contact David tomorrow. They should be here any day. I wish you could've had the light for your trip.

3. One of the reasons that I like the Z2 is that the $30 G2 fits in the same holsters. It's always nice to have a G2 or two stashed away as backup. (I should've given you one as a loaner.)

4. No way in heck would I have flashed my brights at a guy that looked that suspicious. I'd have let him drive on by (no guarantee on that, I realize). Of course, your situation was different as you only have to worry about yourself. But had your fiance been in the car.... Still the best defense is conflict avoidance. Particularly with a trunk full of guns. (Conflict avoidance includes police contacts at 3:00 a.m. in the middle of nowhere with an NRA sticker on your window, BTW.)

5. Sounds like a good setup and execution of the bait and switch get away.

6. We'll talk about other stuff later.

Take care and have a safe trip back.

Good job watching your ass.

Corey
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:11:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By AdrianUSP9:

and REALLY wishing I had an AR-mag loaded and I hadnt left my surfire M952 at home so my fiancee wouldnt find out I bought it.

Now I am having a werid gut feeling. It says drugged up ricer truck owners will be the least of your concerns in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:23:22 PM EST

The Jetta is actually really quick - its a 2.8 6 cyl, 5 spd, 170 hp with 170 lb ft of torque. Does 0-60 in under 7, and Ive had it up to 130 on the track. I could have gone faster, but it was so dark, I was afraid I wouldnt be able to stay on the road. Oh, it was raining lightly too.

You really need to get a turbocharger on that bastard.

Turbochargers help improve fuel economy a little too, so it isn't all performance. However, a turbo on that 2.8 V6 would really help straight-away driving. You could easily outpreform just about any ricer (unless it's one of those serious, "I spent $12,000 upgrading this vehicle, you WILL be reading my license plate" type drivers that take pride in their vehicles).

I have met serious ricers, I mean, so serious I would consider them import tuners. They love their cars, they don't have laughable lights and blaring shit and huge ass rims, they tune their vehicle for performance and can drive like wild-ass manics.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:24:11 PM EST

...I pull into the left lane behind him and flick my brights on for a moment, ...

Not a good idea if you're dealing with an idiot (and you clearly were!).

And not something you want to have someone else witness if you later wind up shooting the guy.

IMHO the best way to handle a situation like this is simply get away.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:50:40 PM EST

You really need to get a turbocharger on that bastard.

YES! I DO! When I bought the car, I made sure there was enough space to tuck one in there. It's on my to do list, along with my whole 280Z restoration project. I owned an 85 300zx turbo, and man that thing was fast. I never should have sold it

No way in heck would I have flashed my brights at a guy that looked that suspicious

In hindsight, definitely a TERRIBLE idea. As I said, I wasnt trying to be a prick, I had thought that maybe he had them on accidentally. I definitely ended up escalating the situation though. I've heard legends about gang members who drive around at night with their lights out, and then chase down and beat the people up who flash their lights at them. Could be just a legend, but like all great legends, it is probably true....

2. I'm expecting your E2D back soon. Things are calming down for me so I'll try to contact David tomorrow. They should be here any day. I wish you could've had the light for your trip.

3. One of the reasons that I like the Z2 is that the $30 G2 fits in the same holsters. It's always nice to have a G2 or two stashed away as backup. (I should've given you one as a loaner.)

2. Woohoo!

3. Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I had my Streamlight Stinger HP in the trunk because I had just come from work, but I won't be traveling anywhere at night anymore without a flashlight, and where the AR goes, the light will go with it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:27:31 AM EST

I never travel unarmed.

Not to hijack my own post, but whenever I watch police chases where people start driving against traffic or shit like that, I honestly wonder why they don't just open fire. If they were aiming a gun at someone, they would get shot instantly. Aiming a car is just as, if not more dangerous than a gun.

.44 mag - you don't mess around, do you?

You are dead right. A car can be more deadly than a gun. (or just as)

I might not have pulled the piece, but I felt protective of my girl, whom I loved very much. I might take chances with an asshat like that one with my own life, but not my loved ones. Not on my watch.

A 44mag has a real killer reputation, but it's really a pussy cat of a round. They do kick, but it ain't that bad once you get used to it.

The 44 in question was a six inch model, but I had a three inch model as well and you'd think that would kick bad, but it just rose up a bit more, rather than coming back into your hand.

I don't always carry a 44mag, ........ it just happened to be the weapon of choice that night. Though that round does whip through a car door quite nicely.

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:51:28 PM EST
Been there, I now keep at least one pistol in with me when I drive. Out of sight but easy access. Carry something that goes thru a windshield good like Winchester SXT Law enforcement. I'm not sure how the regular rounds are. If a cop wants to search the vehicle, always say no. If he says he'll get a warrant it's BS. He's bluffing.
Top Top