Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2005 7:02:02 AM EDT
came home yesterday afternoon. having second thoughts about coming home so early because f the pain et. on 20 mg of oxycontin twice a day and 20 of percocet every 4 hours
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#1]
God bless you. I hope you feel better soon.

How long did it take to recover the first time?
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#2]
took about 6 months to get up and around again. the surgeon says he has do anterior fusion later this year which pretty much takes me out of service for over year. i'll just have to go disability for now. see how much the government owes me insurance wise
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#3]
What's a spinal fusion?  Sounds unpleasant.  Did they fasten two of your vertibrae together or something?
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#4]
get well!

and pics?
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
the use bone from your hip and about 20 crews and bolts etc to fuse two or more vertabrea together. in my case he took out my olfd hardware (ill post pics later) and used some sort of fake bone and larger srews etc this time. they also open up areas that are impinging on nerves. he says that apparently my body just does not fuse bone well so i will most likely end up in pain and using a cane
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I can empathize as someone who also suffers from back problems (although less severe than yours.)  I wish you nothing but the best in your recovery.  May you and your family be well, happy, and at peace.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What's a spinal fusion?  Sounds unpleasant.  Did they fasten two of your vertibrae together or something?

It is a midevil practice where they take bone and fuss your back together.

Look at your finger.  See how it bends at the nuckles.  A fussion is where your finger would turn into a solid digit that doesn't bend anymore.

I had a doubl;e level fussion done and they wanted to do more.

I told them no, hell no, and FUCKING HELL NO.

SGatgr15
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
PLEASE!

NO PICS

I STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES!

SGat1r5
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I had it done when I was 16.  I was off my feet for about 2 weeks.  after that, I used an exercise bike to keep my circulation up to speed the healing.  You have to stay as active as your body will allow to keep atrophy at bay.  I started at about 2 minutes, then I would have to helped back to bed before I passed out.  I worked up to a half-hour in about 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a cervical fusion at the C-5, 6, 7 level last August.  

Quality of life issue...numbness radiating through the right arm to the front and forefingers...before anybody comments...I'm also left-handed.

An appliance was used to fuse the vertebrae, and donor bone was used; marrow was extracted from my hip and applied to the donor bone.

Feeling much better, and the surgery and re-hab was worth it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Guys I've seen a few topics about this since my time at this site and I've been resisting posting about the topic. Call it denial and I'd probly not dissagree.

I'm due fusion of L5/S1 due to herniated/fucked disc. All others in my spine are fine.

We have in the UK "WAITING" lists for us poor people. I'm supposed to get it done in the next 12 months. I'm in constant agony and have been unable to work now for 6 months. Daytime TV sucks.

I'd realy like to talk one on one with one of you guys who have had it done. I hear about some people who have had good and bad expieriences with it but I've not spoken to anyone I know who has had it done.

I am not going to be talked out of it. My back has deterieted for the last 10 years with this problem and now I've finally found a surgeon who can fix it. I want it done.

You have to remember untill 2 months ago I was not aware of any thing that could be done to fix my problem. I was resigned to the fact that within 5 years I would be wheelchair bound. That sucked big time as I'm normaly a pretty active guy.

here's a pic of my MRI

Taffy

eta trying to sort pic
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had it done...IM me with any questions you may have.

Also, check out www.webMD.com

SGatr15
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Christmas morning 1995 auto accident put me on an aeromed ride and ended up with me having five discs fused. I was an L2 burst with L1 and L3 severely cracked.  I was told I would not walk. I have been blessed by God with healing beyond what the Docs thought possible. I do walk and go to work every day. I do however live with a level of misery due to numbness, tingling and down right pain at times.  Due to a pattern change in my condition I am scheduled for an MRI at 10:00 p.m. this evening. I have a great deal of sympathy for any one who has to have back surgery no matter what the level of damage is. For those who have never had back problems you will never know how much work your back is doing for you when you are just standing, not to mention lifting, walking, etc.
Good luck to all here who are dealing with this problem.
Tuco
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been putting off double fusion L45/L5 - L5/S1 for awhile. I hurt all the time, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it remains in some form constant. I have been putting it off mainly because I can't image 3-6 months out of work trying to provide for a family of 6. However, with each passing day, I am reminded that I won't be able to dodge the bullet forever, plus, the longer I go, the more damage I am probably doing.

If you haven't screwed your back up yet, please take care of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have had it done...IM me with any questions you may have.

Also, check out www.webMD.com

SGatr15

thanks I'll do that...

cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I can only hope you're a very old man over the age of 100, not fun for the young.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Yuck.  Get well soon.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope you're not sitting and typing this. Sitting was  the most painful position after back surgery for me. During my last recovery period, I became a "commercial squirrell hunter".  When a commercial came on the tv, I would get up and go shoot at squirrells in my yard.

Good luck with your healing.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:41:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Cervical spinal fusion (which is what I had done C5-C6) seems not nearly as bad as Lumbar spinal fusions.

Mine went very well and I'm pretty much 90% of where I was before surgery.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Artificial Disc Offers New Hope for Treating Back Pain

Replacement disc .

Until recently, the only surgical solution to Degenerative Disc Disease was a procedure called spinal fusion. Fusion can significantly reduce a patient's range of motion; sometimes, it can accelerate the deterioration of the discs above and below where the fusion took place -- leading to more fusion and an increasingly stiff patient.

But now, surgeons at the Texas Back Institute near Dallas are pioneering in the United States a procedure that relies on an artificial disc called Charite that replaces the patient's damaged disc entirely.

The artificial disc, which has been used in Europe since 1987, recently received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Inserting the disc involves a technically demanding operation that requires an approach through the patient's abdomen.

Lots more info in link.

I have been watching this for a few years and hoping it can help me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine completely changed my life, physically and mentaly. Its been 3 years and I'm not doing to well right now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#24]
why not go DISK REPLACEMENT?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#25]
i was so crooked up towards the middle of my back that it wore and is continuing to wear away the othr parts of my spine. anyway i cut it im going to end up darth vader eventually.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#26]
You have company here on the board. I've had C-3,4,5,and c6 fused to c7 surgically because they were impinging upon and scarred my spinal cord(EXtremestenosis) as described by the Drs. I can still walk, if you call it that. I'd hate to go through that again. One thing I'll never be able to figure out is the amount of people HERE when they could be outside A'rompin around. Maybe its that "you do'nt know what you got till its gone". Good luck!.......
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Good luck!! I have had 3 back surgries and they are not pleasant had fusion S1 L5
Watch what you do from now on. Believe it or not you build up a tolorance for the pain but it takes
a while, keep taking the pain med they do help!!! You got some nice pictures there!!!

Take care and the best of luck to you
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I am 3 years out on a single level L5S1 fusion, Anterior and posteriar. (8" incision infront and 6 small holes in the back.) they used doner bone from my hip. and a cage/screws and rods as pictured.
If you smoke, quit, follow the docs directions to the letter in recovery.
He said walk as much as possible and I did. that helped things heal.  I was up and going 2-3 times a day.
the first week iit was less than 1/8 mile but I kept at it. and was walking 2 miles within a few weeks.
I was back to work part time after 3 months (frankly I pushed it too hard)  usally it is 6 months.
The back pain is gone, I have some Sciatic pain in the right leg but if I stay active it isn't bad.

The surgury was well worth it.   BUT make sure you have the best surgen in the area. there are alot of advances in back surgury that are used in UK and Europe that are not fully aproved here yet. (Disk replacement comes to mind.
Thankfully the 2 other disks I have that are degenerating are not painfull.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I have had two spinal blocks, they helped for a few weeks. My doc is saying next step is DISC O GRAM. I have heard all the horror stories. I am just hurting and dealing with it because of the fear. I do not think I can deal with the pain and be quiet about to my wife much longer.

I tell my wife oh, I am feeling better causeI do not wanna go throught torture, but something has gotta give.

My doc says I need L5-SI and L4-L5 fussion, bone graft,cage screws,etc. I am really scared about this shitt. I am 35 and was very active and in great shape. I have been watching my diet so I do not get fat due to my reduced amount of activity. What should I do??
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Well for some of the other guys my BRO-in-law went for the 2 disk replacement which you have to get on the list for still because it's experimental. He walked out of the hospital 3 days later. Now it's 3 months later and he is back to work with no restrictions 100% and says it feels great. It also cost alot less than a fusion too.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Just don't put it off TOO long.  Was misdiagnosed for 2 years and wound up not making a full recovery. I now have some permanent nerve damage that really shut me down for a long time.Three level ACDF with hardware C-3 though C-6. Still have problems walking and weakness in both arms.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#32]

healing up really good !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top