Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2004 6:31:19 PM EST
Ment to go to www.google.com, but went to www.gookle.com and I got a pop up. The firefox broswer has blocked all of them so far, except for this one.

What makes it so special?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:33:38 PM EST
You should use Opera, I didn't get any pop-ups when I went to that site.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:36:15 PM EST
Hmmm, no popups for me using Firefox....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:38:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 6:39:23 PM EST by Max_Mike]
Yep I have gotten three pop-ups in the last 2 weeks. I gusees someone has worked around the blocking I expect that will be fixed quickly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:41:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:41:51 PM EST
wow, really? Still haven't gotten one yet. God, I love Mozilla Firefox.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:45:37 PM EST
no pop-up using Norton internet security.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:47:12 PM EST
Hmm, that's strange. Been on Firefox for quite awhile with no issues.

Just as an aside, you can use this hosts file as well. It will kill almost all the bullshit ads that you're likely to see.

It's really great surfing sites and not seeing so many ads all over the page.

www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:47:53 PM EST
No pop-ups with XP and SP2.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:50:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:28:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
I was not trying to be sarcastic. I have seen so many threads the last couple of months with hundreds of posts telling people that if they are tired of popups to download Firefox, and that will fix it. That is bogus, that is security through obscurity, which is really no security at all, it just means that it will be longer until the spyware authors customize thier code to exploit Mozilla. Using proper spyware/adware removers, and a software firewall are your best defenses, they work for me, I have tried Firefox but prefer IE, and I have not had popups or unders for several weeks.

Any O/S, software firewall or browser is subject to compromise. Firefox is far more secure then MS IE and is immune to IE type exploits. Simply stated it does not have the necessary hooks into the O/S or the ability to run insecure ActiveX code that is exploited in IE. In addition to being more secure Firefox offers additional features and functionality that is not available with IE. You also need to keep in mind that Firefox hasn't even been officially released yet. As the product matures it will get even better then it is now.

A software firewall will not protect your system from the numerous "built in" insecurity "features" found in IE and Windows. Spyware scanners like virus scanners are only helpful in removing known threats once a detection pattern file becomes available to recognize them.

I did not get any popups with Firefox when I accessed the gookle.com site. When I used IE I immediately got a popup requesting me to install a tool bar (most likely spyware).

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:38:06 AM EST

I just like the Tabs. They rock. One window. That's as sweet as Ninjas.
Top Top