Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2002 11:26:31 AM EDT
Much like Garandman and I had over the 4th of Jewl-eye.

A marine buddy and I engaged three "bad-guy" targets in the woods at ranges from 5-50 yards.

Here's the skinny on how I set these shoots up:

Since bulls-eye target shooting is good but not entirely like a real-world life-and-death situation, I come up with an actual scenario that the shoot has to face. This particular course of fire centers around having to get from one point in the woods to another and there are three bad-guys known to be in the way. These three must be taken out of the fight and you can use any weapon or combination of weapons to achieve the objective.

The of going through this type of scenario is to learn. Learn which weapons may be best for this type of situation. Learn which movements are the most efficient. Learn how your gear affects your efficiency and movement.

We videotape these "engagements" so we can critique ourselves and enhance the learning process.

I will list results/facts in a follow-up post.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Buddy chose his FAL (kit gun) and 12ga. shotgun.

FAL had naked barrel, a little bit of muzzle rise, not bad. Surprisingly, his 12ga. with 00 buck hit targets up to 50 yards away. I thought he was toast but the shotgun did the trick.

I did four rounds of shooting with an M4gery Bushy with mini-Y comp and iron sights. No muzzle rise at all on video, follow-up shots come very fast and since I engaged each bad-guy with 3 rounds, all three were pretty close together. Mag changes very efficient.

During one round of fire, I used a std. M1A. Much larger rifle to handle in woods. Surprisingly no muzzle rise even in rapid fire (again, 3 rounds fired at each target), confirmed by video. With targets using trees as supports/backstops, .308 chewed through quite a bit of wood. Mag changes more complicated than AR15. With an AR, you hit the button and mag falls out. Pop next mag in and slap the release-now you are ready to go. With the M1A, the mag needs to be physically removed from the magwell by pressing the lever and pulling the mag out. To "release" the bolt, you have to pull back on the charging lever, a bit less quick than just pressing a button.

While not nearly as poor a choice as I envisioned, the M1A, in terms of speed, cannot hold a candle to the AR.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey - no havin' gun fun while I'm not around, concrete boy.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a lot of fun. This past weekend we, read that about 10, set up a shoot that was a lot of fun.  We had a bowling pin on the extreem right and left, then five small steel knock over targets, then a single bowling pin in the center. The shoot is done with two shooters side by side. At the sound of the buzzer you both draw a hot handgun of your choice (mine a 1911A1 style) and engage the targets in this order. You must knock down the pin on you extreem side before engaging the steel. After all the steel is down go for the middle pin. first to get the last pin wins, and advances. Pairs do this and all winners advance. You can only use five rounds per mag so as to make it necessary to do reloads.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like a lot of fun. This past weekend we, read that about 10, set up a shoot that was a lot of fun.  We had a bowling pin on the extreem right and left, then five small steel knock over targets, then a single bowling pin in the center. The shoot is done with two shooters side by side. At the sound of the buzzer you both draw a hot handgun of your choice (mine a 1911A1 style) and engage the targets in this order. You must knock down the pin on you extreem side before engaging the steel. After all the steel is down go for the middle pin. first to get the last pin wins, and advances. Pairs do this and all winners advance. You can only use five rounds per mag so as to make it necessary to do reloads.
View Quote

There's gun club that puts on these type of shoots. They are alot of fun. I went much further and injected a bit of "real-world" into my personal shoots.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey - no havin' gun fun while I'm not around, concrete boy.

View Quote

G-man, you must know who our marine friend is.

BTW, I got bad news, buddy. I accidentally taped over our little shindig. [spank]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
....This particular course of fire centers around having to get from one point in the woods to another and there are three bad-guys known to be in the way. These three must be taken out of the fight and you can use any weapon or combination of weapons to achieve the objective.

View Quote

this all done in CT?

A few years back we did a West Berut shoot that ended up in a burned out van. We ended up crushing and burying the van. Hope you have a lot more fun!!  [beer]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like the "Redneck Review" that we used to have.  Use 6 beer cans stacked in a Pyramid.  Use a suitable SA revolver and knock off the cans in sequence from the top down.  You knock over any cans out of sequence and you get negative points.  Challenging and great fun generating new "targets"(after the contest of course) . . . .
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

BTW, I got bad news, buddy. I accidentally taped over our little shindig. [spank]
View Quote

And you just KNOW SWAT teams and SPecial Forces were dyin' to get their hands on that to show as training video.

[:D]

As in, you gotta be faster than these guys, or YOU SUCK!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
....This particular course of fire centers around having to get from one point in the woods to another and there are three bad-guys known to be in the way. These three must be taken out of the fight and you can use any weapon or combination of weapons to achieve the objective.
View Quote

this all done in CT?
A few years back we did a West Berut shoot that ended up in a burned out van. We ended up crushing and burying the van. Hope you have a lot more fun!!  [beer]
View Quote

Yup. My family owns (er, pays taxes on) a 120 acre farm that is well-suited to these shoots.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

this all done in CT?
View Quote

Yup. My family owns (er, pays taxes on) a 120 acre farm that is well-suited to these shoots.
View Quote

Outstanding. gives CT a good name!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top