Posted: 9/18/2004 2:27:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Shock and awe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding post.

AR15: The All-Purpose Rifle!

Call CM Johnson Pest Control: We Put on a Show, and the Critters' Gotta Go! Call 223-5561.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I sounds like your keeping yourself busy! I wish I had some private land to shoot on. The range I belong to only allows paper for targets and rapid fire is frowned upon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You may claim Rik's "Professional Hip-Shooter" title.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Okaaaaaaay..........
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The southeastern paper wasp is a wiley and dangerous opponent. They have been known to engage with no warning at all and will fight to the death...no prisoners and no one spared. Ya done good!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]
If you were really hard core you would have bayonetted them
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the great info. That was some expensive wasp killing with those bullets!

Quoted:

The results were catastrophic for the enemy team.    Though any wasps that weren't torn apart by 53 gr. flat base jacketed hollowpoint Sierra Match Kings at 3200 FPS usually survived the shot,  the incredible concussion, muzzle blast, and heat of the blast effectively disabled all of them.  They were burned, blasted, blinded, and bruised by the blasts,  and through the encounter, not one of them managed to take flight except in pieces.    And I was able to put a bullet through almost every enemy combatant, and the two that survived met Mr. Bootheel.

Some basic terminal ballistic info on this round, too:

The bullets penetrate about six inches into packed soil,  and disrupt totally to yield small fragments of lead and copper.

They come within inches of penetrating a round hay bale completely,  and do not expand or fragment unless they encounter another bullet in the bale.   Rarely, one will penetrate completely but it has very little energy left, not enough to bury itself in a cedar plank, usually.   The condition of bullets recovered from the back side of the bale is excellent.   You would almost consider reusing them, but this is not recommended as they've been heavily stressed, of course.

Fired into gallon milk jugs completely filled with water, the hydrostatic effect is explosive and dramatic, but the bullet will not penetrate the back side of the second jug in line.   Disruption of the bullet is dramatic and total, resulting in lead and copper shrapnel.    Apparently,  disruption occurs in the first jug, based on the multiple entrance holes in the remains of the second jug.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
great post, had me at the edge of my seat!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you were really hard core you would have bayonetted them

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:38:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Hope the Bee Keeper doesn't read this
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I went out to the barn to get my Shop Vac ............ Only to find someone had shot the shit outta it
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I can remember taking on enemy hornet bases (not F-18's, but actual hornets) as a teen with a 12 gauge and some field loads. If I could locate a nest in a tree, I became pretty good at getting the proper range and shooting just at the right spot to pretty much take out every single hornet within the nest on the first shot. I never did get stung during the process, so I guess I did ok.

Geez. The things teens will do for targets when they run out of clay pigeons! But I guess you could classify a hornet's nest as a reactive target with a fierce bite if you goofed up! Accuracy was paramount. LOL.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I hate wasps,  I"m deathly allergic to wasps, bees and hornets.  Glad you killed the little bastards.

Oh and they whole "leave them alone and don't move fast and you won't get stung" is total BS.  Once while sitting there watching some squirrels fight,  a wasp came flying along,  buzzed around my head three or four times and stung me right on the lip! I never even moved!

I kill every hornet, bee, wasp or yellowjacket I see now.  It's my cheap way of hunting dangerous game.  Just me and a flyswatter against an opponent that can kill me within 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just a few days ago when I was taking refuge from the hurricane, safe in Alabama,  I was prowling The encounter:  I opened up the shop vac (which had been previously shot dead) to use the can as a trash can, and encountered...THEM!   Several dozen paper wasps, sitting on their large nest, all looking at me and getting ready to ruin my day.

I would have run, screaming like a woman and flailing my arms in a sissy like swatting motion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice story.  

Last time I had a close encounter was when I was house hunting in April.  I was driving around grabbing fliers from those boxes in front of houses for sale.  I came up to one that had the lid partially stuck open.  I reached over and flipped it open, and about 10 red wasps bolted out of there right up into the sky.  I'm so glad I wasn't in their way.  I then proceeded in my fastest girly-run back to my car and dived in and slammed the door just as a couple of the wasps came after me and landed on the outside of my window.

I didn't buy that house.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I would have been concerned about Shop-Vac shrapnel at that close of a range.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#21]
[ericcartman]KICKASS!!![/ericcartman]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top