Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/13/2010 7:08:10 PM EDT
Went out shooting this weekend and had several duds in this 550 round box out of maybe the 100 rounds i shot out of it. None of the other stuff had any misfires even the federal bulk loads. I shot this one and it just sounded different and then I noticed my hand was burning and smoke was coming out of the mag well and the action. Here is what I found.

The casing was not stuck at all and just pulled right out. I shot another couple of mags with no issues after this. Was it just a bad round? Did it not feed all the way into the chamber? What do you think?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Went out shooting this weekend and had several duds in this 550 round box out of maybe the 100 rounds i shot out of it. None of the other stuff had any misfires even the federal bulk loads. I shot this one and it just sounded different and then I noticed my hand was burning and smoke was coming out of the mag well and the action. Here is what I found.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb293/jmhat98/DSCN0601.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb293/jmhat98/DSCN0604.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb293/jmhat98/DSCN0602.jpg

The casing was not stuck at all and just pulled right out. I shot another couple of mags with no issues after this. Was it just a bad round? Did it not feed all the way into the chamber? What do you think?

it happened with my 22 dedicated upper I always thought it was not all the way in battery. I kinda wish I would have saved them for pictures

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
that is not an ammo problem.  That is a gun problem.  Your ruger fired out of battery.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there an intact part of the case where you can check length versus another fired brass piece?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
OOBs and .22s conversions go together like peas and carrots
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Looks familiar.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
that is not an ammo problem.  That is a gun problem.  Your ruger fired out of battery.  

.22lr = blowback. Ammo related most likely
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OOBs and .22s conversions go together like peas and carrots

This was a Ruger Mk II not a conversion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't look like the Ruger was out of battery, looks like the base blew off the round.  I'd email those pics to Remington.  Maybe they'll send you a coupon for more crappy ammo  

ETA –– Does the firing pin channel look as clean as the rest of the chamber?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Never shoot ammo other people load.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I handloaded these myself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Doesn't look like the Ruger was out of battery, looks like the base blew off the round.  I'd email those pics to Remington.  Maybe they'll send you a coupon for more crappy ammo  

ETA –– Does the firing pin channel look as clean as the rest of the chamber?

Yep, the gun was clean. not cruddy at all.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen that in my MKI and a 10/22 with a Butler creek bull barrel. Also seen that in several rounds of that hot Aguila stuff.  I have seen CCI Stingers split cases.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on, lad.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Never understood why people buy Remington 22 ammo.

Stick with CCI or Federal (at the minimum) and don't have issues like this. I've been through dozens of the Federal 550 boxes with NO catastrophic issues –– just duds occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn you got a great box if it only had one bad round. I'm doing good if I only get one problem in every 25.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Stick with CCI or Federal (at the minimum) and don't have issues like this. I've been through dozens of the Federal 550 boxes with NO catastrophic issues –– just duds occasionally.

I've been through thousands of winchester high velocity bulk with no problems except duds.  I do have more duds with the winchester than federal bulk though.  At least it seems that way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a .22 conversion for my subgun that has serious problems with Remington Golden Bullets. I've run 4 or 5 bricks thru it since I got it and have had to replace the barrel already and am about to send it back again for the same thing. I am having problems with OOB's and dud rounds stacking up in the barrel and bulging it in the 9mm barrel. Have to trash a $85 barrel to get it out of my upper.  

RGB brass is really soft... It bulges like a motherfucker even when it doesn't blow up. Federal bulk pack is night and day different.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This.........they have been crap for years.

IIRC made in MEXICO
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a .22 conversion for my subgun that has serious problems with Remington Golden Bullets. I've run 4 or 5 bricks thru it since I got it and have had to replace the barrel already and am about to send it back again for the same thing. I am having problems with OOB's and dud rounds stacking up in the barrel and bulging it in the 9mm barrel. Have to trash a $85 barrel to get it out of my upper.  

RGB brass is really soft... It bulges like a motherfucker even when it doesn't blow up. Federal bulk pack is night and day different.

+1. I started out running RGB in my Lage MAX-11/22 kit. It runs OK until a round blows the case head out (about once per mag for me). The extractor gets launched into orbit .

I have had this problem with multiple batches of RGB (even different box styles) and from multiple sources ... they have all exhibited blow outs. The rounds that don't actually rupture often show bulged bases.  I have given up on this ammo and am working through the remaining couple of thousand rounds in closed-bolt guns. They blow out too, but with less frequency and less expensive effect.

I now run American Eagle when reliability matters, and Federal bulk pack when it doesn't. Everything else is being burned and not replaced.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I agree.

The only time I buy the Golden Bullets is after Christmas when the tins are on clearance at wallyworld. For that price I don't care.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Not only is it .22LR its cheap .22LR

If youre not used to having problems with bulk rimfire ammo you havent been shooting that long.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Not only is it .22LR its cheap .22LR

If youre not used to having problems with bulk rimfire ammo you havent been shooting that long.

But remington gold is the same price as the federal bulk and the federal bulk doesn't go Glock on you.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#24]
This is why I always wear glasses "even when shooting just a .22LR".  Shoot enough .22 LR and eventually you will have one let go.

Worst one I had blew the extractor off my Buckmark.  And, of course, I counldn't find the pieces.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I shot Remington almost exclusively until it became hard to find during the Obama nonsense. Then I switched to Fed because it was all I could find.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC made in MEXICO

Mexican ammo isn't necessarily bad.  Aguila is good stuff, for example.

But the problem is that in extra-cheapo bulk packs, there's very little QC and the ammo is mixed from different batches and machines.  Spend $30 on a brick and you'll get quality ammunition that, if your gun likes it, will be very accurate.  Go down to the $22-25 range and you start to get crap.  Saving the five bucks just isn't worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:55:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I had that happen with a win 9mm in a 9mm ar-15 conversion.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:56:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

This...and quite common.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Weak case or slightly out of battery?  On the bright side, at least it was a .22rf...

My South African 7.62*51 case failure in a FAL:

Note that the failure occured right where the ejector cutout is... This was probably lucky as the pressure was given a path to escape.

No damage to the rifle, but the mag was inflated a bit!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Only Remington rimfire ammo I use anymore is their subsonic HPs but as soon as they run out I'll be looking for a replacement.  Their Viper ammo used to be good but can't find it anymore, down to about 1k rounds.

Their GB bulk packs have always been awful, at least 1/50 misfiring no matter what gun they're in.  No luck with Thunderbolts either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've seen that in my MKI and a 10/22 with a Butler creek bull barrel. Also seen that in several rounds of that hot Aguila stuff.  I have seen CCI Stingers split cases.

"I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin'
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin'
I saw a white ladder all covered with water
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard
It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall." -Bob Dylan

That tune came to my mind as I read your post

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I must be very lucky.  I've shot thousands of rounds of Golden Bullets and never have problems except maybe one or two duds in a box of 550.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#33]
My eight year old son shoot through about 400 rds of Golden Bullets in his Mini Bolt two weeks ago and had 5-6 that failed to fire.  It was acually pretty good training for him to wait 30 seconds before opening the bolt but once this crap is gone, I'm done with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

truer words have never been spoke.. Remington 22 ammo sucks Obama dick...CCI Mini Mags FTMFW!!

OP it is a good thing it was a Ruger MKII..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#35]
you do know golden bullet is the shittiest ammo you can buy, in all my 22 rifles it wont chamber at all, seems to work on a 40 year old rifle though
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't laugh at the height of WW2  .22 Rimfire was reloaded by ammo starved desperate folks ( cagey oldtimers perhaps)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I keep getting concerned about all the bad press the .22 remington golden has received lately. I have never shot it before, but have a brand new 550 round box that I have on hand for when I go praire dog shooting in a few weeks at my buddies farm.

Perhaps I should get a federal bulk pack as a back-up in case the remington is crap?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC made in MEXICO

Mexican ammo isn't necessarily bad.  Aguila is good stuff, for example.

But the problem is that in extra-cheapo bulk packs, there's very little QC and the ammo is mixed from different batches and machines.  Spend $30 on a brick and you'll get quality ammunition that, if your gun likes it, will be very accurate.  Go down to the $22-25 range and you start to get crap.  Saving the five bucks just isn't worth it to me.

so what are some high quality bulks that I should look for?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Crappy ammo; but your gun fired out of battery.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:32:11 AM EDT
[#40]
My MKII did that very thing Friday.  Same ammo, Remington Golden.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Looks like an OOB case, but I've never had any luck with the Golden Bullet. Its accurate enough but unreliable in almost all of my .22s.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#42]
from what I read and experienced using my dads golden bullets, they are very dirty and I think the coating on them sticks to the chamber. Now on my 22 ar conversions I lightly sanded the chamber bigger so all types of ammo drops in and now extracts better. But I dont shoot that ammo from all the problems I had, the 8 different brands ive used they all worked but golden
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I didn't know there was a GOOD round when speaking of Remington Golden Bullets.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:55:20 AM EDT
[#44]
I just did this exact same thing with my AR and Ciener conversion.

Pulled the trigger, BOOM.   Mag was smoking, shit flying everywhere.   I looked at my hand and had a piece of brass sticking out of it.

Apparently, the sliver blew by the mag and out the bottom of the mag well where it found my hand to lodge it.

I guess shit happens.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1. I started out running RGB in my Lage MAX-11/22 kit. It runs OK until a round blows the case head out (about once per mag for me). The extractor gets launched into orbit .

I have had this problem with multiple batches of RGB (even different box styles) and from multiple sources ... they have all exhibited blow outs. The rounds that don't actually rupture often show bulged bases.  I have given up on this ammo and am working through the remaining couple of thousand rounds in closed-bolt guns. They blow out too, but with less frequency and less expensive effect.

I now run American Eagle when reliability matters, and Federal bulk pack when it doesn't. Everything else is being burned and not replaced.

My latest barrel stack up was done with Federal, I'm sorry to say... I'm really not sure what to do with my MAX22 kit, I can't keep sending it back every 2 or 3 bricks to get the old barrel yanked out and a new one put back in. The idea was to be able to shoot cheaply, not $120 (shipping on the upper with insurance is a bitch) every time I shoot it.

Haven't contacted Lage yet, pretty dismayed. It has been back and forth for a variety of problems, none of which were my doing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Remington Golden Bullets are the Ford Pinto of the .22 ammo world.  Don't shoot them and you won't have a problem with them blowing up.  Like everyone else, I've also shot dozens and dozens of boxes of Federal 550's without a hitch.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Have had good luck with RGB except when it is cold then i get a lot of FTF.

But the lots i have are at least 3yrs old.

Have bought a few box of the 100 rounders and other than having to run them through again the all sound good.

Big discussions on Rimfirecentral about the recent RGB troubles.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I stopped using the Remington Gold after the sixth or seventh oob detonation in my HK 91 with the sub-caliber kit. The Ceiner kit my AR also had issues with that ammo

On the other hand, the Sovereign pps/50 eats that stuff up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC made in MEXICO

Bought some before I knew better.  I'd guess 2-3% were duds.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't shoot any remington goldens. Too dirty, too many problems. Fed for the win.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top