Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 12/19/2009 10:41:55 AM EDT
I coach a youth rifle team, and this morning during a relay, one of the kids fired and it made a weird sound. I look over and there's a plume of smoke coming out of the receiver. Called a cease fire and cleared the line, and made sure everyone was okay. The shooter only had a minor burn on his finger and was mostly just a bit shaken up. The bolt was completely blown apart and dislodged through the back of the rifle, and part of the stock next to the receiver was split off.

The bolt on this rifles cocks on closing, so I'm sure it had to have been closed all the way, and it wouldn't fire anyway if it wasn't. I'm thinking some part that locks the bolt in place was weak, and possibly even combined with an overcharged round that finally made it give in?

The rifle was a Russian .22lr target rifle, shooting Eley Match standard velocity.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:46:57 AM EDT
I am glad no one got hurt and kudos to you for taking the responsibility that you do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:49:33 AM EDT
In Soviet Russia, gun shoots you!
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:50:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JINXR:

Those crazy ruskies
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:51:52 AM EDT
Wow. Glad no one was hurt worse then the minor burn.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:52:40 AM EDT
Look at the firing pin to see if it is chipped.  A too sharp firing pin can cause rimfire to fail catastrophically.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:57:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Keith_J:

Look at the firing pin to see if it is chipped.  A too sharp firing pin can cause rimfire to fail catastrophically.

It's hard to say, the pin is too mangled to judge any previous damage. We sent it to the gunsmith at the range to take a look at it.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:00:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Liberation:

Originally Posted By JINXR:

Those crazy ruskies

What's scary is that we have 3 more of the same rifle, with about the same amount of use. I'm going go and check them all this week, and see if I can find anything wrong with them.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:04:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

Someone filed on the firing pin to make it F/A!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:04:56 PM EDT
Wonder if the previous round had no powder, stuck the bullet right past the chamber and the shooter ejected and reloaded another round.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:08:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:

Wonder if the previous round had no powder, stuck the bullet right past the chamber and the shooter ejected and reloaded another round.

I didn't know .22 could KB? It's such a low-pressure cartridge.

Weird. Just when I thought I knew something about guns, turns out I'm an amateur!

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:10:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By samsong:

I didn't know .22 could KB? It's such a low-pressure cartridge.

Weird. Just when I thought I knew something about guns, turns out I'm an amateur!

Neither did. I was just like, "WTF was that...OH SHIT!"

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:16:08 PM EDT
Did you check the bore yet? If the previous shot was a squib even a 22lr can KB.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:17:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gearjammer5:

Did you check the bore yet? If the previous shot was a squib even a 22lr can KB.

Another coach was actually sighting him in at the time, all the rounds hit the target.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:18:43 PM EDT

I thought of that too, but Eley is hardly bulk pack .22 ammo.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:22:55 PM EDT
I'd like to see pics of that. I'm not seeing how a .22 could have enough power to "mangle" steel. An adult with reasonable strength can hold the bolt closed with his thumb. My only guess would be an obstructed bore as previously mentioned.

Hope the boy doesn't swear off shooting because of that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 2:24:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tomtbo:

I thought of that too, but Eley is hardly bulk pack .22 ammo.

I know but still, every ammo maker goofs up sometime or another.

Top Top