Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2005 5:39:26 AM EDT
claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.html

A man has been charged with felony murder in the death of his brother earlier this month.

Police said Murrey L. Wynn, 19, and his brother, Quinton, 20, tried to rob a home in the 1600 block of Lawn on Aug. 5. The homeowner opened fire, striking Murrey Wynn. He was rushed to Truman Medical Center, but died.

Investigators said that since he died during the commission of a crime, his brother, Quinton, can be charged with his death.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
pwn3d.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]
pretty harsh
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
[nelson]HA HA[/nelson]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait... WHY would his brother be charged with killing him?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#5]
PWNED
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Because they had no buisness in thast mans house, therefor he is in the wrong,and being alive makes him quilty.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Because he is the primary cause of the circumstances that led to his brother's death.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Investigators said that since he died during the commission of a crime.

anyone dies while you are commiting a crime, you get charged with that death. be it heart attack of the 7-11 clerk or shotgun to the head.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
"Accessory during the fact."

Just like somebody getting killed during a bank robbery. All the bad guys get charged with murder, including the getaway driver. They are all equally responsible for the crime.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:50:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I love that law.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The police can't charge the owner for defending his property or his life. So if someone dies, they charge the other crooks involved because their criminal act(s) caused the death.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:52:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Felony Murder Rule:

If you engage in a felony criminal episode, and during that episode or the immediate flight therefrom anyone dies, including a co-conspirator, that death is pinned on all of the felons.

Very old rule.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#13]
One of the few laws that doesn't protect criminals.  Good one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Because in this wounderful country, you are never responsible for your own actions.  It is always someone elses fault.  In this case, they will blame him for his brothers death.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Because in this wounderful country, you are never responsible for your own actions.  It is always someone elses fault.  In this case, they will blame him for his brothers death.  

Actually, the remaining brother is being responsible for his actions.  His own actions (as well as the dead man's actions) caused his brother do die.  Since the criminal died during the commission of a felony, his cohort will be charged with his murder, as he is ultimately responsible.

As for the felony murder rule... this rule was around when personal responsiblity was the "in thing"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#17]
best news story ever
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:41:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm good with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Ummmm, charging the criminals for deaths that occur during the commission of a crime IS holding them responsible. Did you even read the article?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
best news story ever

Exactly! A citizen defended himself, a bad guy ends up dead, and the other bad guy goes away for a stretch on murder because of the dead guy the citizen defended himself against!

Society wins all around!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Cry me a river.  

This is AWESOME - and it forces people to be responsible for their actions.  He CHOSE to engage in criminal activity with his brother, and someone DIED.  As far as his culpability goes, it doesn't matter WHO it was that died - the homeowner, his brother, the kid next door - they died as a result of his deliberate actions, and therefore he is responsible.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Because that's how we do it in the South
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

felony murder,

i think there was a case where a guy was in a high speed pursuit and the helicopter pilot following him crashed into power lines, felony murder right there
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i think there was a case where a guy was in a high speed pursuit and the helicopter pilot following him crashed into power lines, felony murder right there

Alright! Throw the book at 'em!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Because he is the primary cause of the circumstances that led to his brother's death.

Thats a stupid statement. His brothers decision to commit the crime is the primary casue of those circumstances.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alright! Throw the book at 'em!

Thats going a bit far. Just because a pilot is a dumbass that guy gets a murder rap? Thats a bunch of bullshit.

Although I am all for charging the brother, its not the brothers fault that his brother was killed. That was his brothers fault.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Thats a stupid statement. His brothers decision to commit the crime is the primary casue of those circumstances.

Both are equal parties in the circumstances leading up to the moment in question. His brother is dead, therefore he has an equal part in that as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Because they had no buisness in thast mans house, therefor he is in the wrong,and being alive makes him quilty.

quilty?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Felony Murder Rule:

If you engage in a felony criminal episode, and during that episode or the immediate flight therefrom anyone dies, including a co-conspirator, that death is pinned on all of the felons.

Very old rule.

The only caveat being that the death has to be a reasonably foreseeable consequence of the criminal act.

Example:
A man commits an armed robbery and the victim has a heart attack and dies.  The robber can be charged with murder because death is a reasonably foreseeable consequence of an armed robbery.

A man defrauds someone out of $50,000. The victim, upon learning of the fraud, has a heart attack and dies.  The man who committed the fraud cannot be charged with murder, because death is not a reasonable foreseeable consequence of fraud.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

-Foxxz

samey-same in Florida
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Thats going a bit far. Just because a pilot is a dumbass that guy gets a murder rap? Thats a bunch of bullshit. Although I am all for charging the brother, its not the brothers fault that his brother was killed. That was his brothers fault.

Wrong!  A crime is being committed, and more death/damage occurs.  Who are you supposed to charge?  The ones who are reacting to the crime, or the criminals?  You aren't one of those, "Let's not charge anyone because it's nobody's fault", cover-uppers are ya?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Do you even read and understand English?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

You've gotta be fucking kidding me.

I think those FunYuns pickled your brain.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Too bad he didn't shoot both of them!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Yup!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I love Felony Murder charges. Gives the participants in a crime a healthy dose of responsibility for their criminal acts.

I have charged a man with it and the look on that piece of shit's face when I told him he was being charged with murder was, well, priceless.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thats going a bit far. Just because a pilot is a dumbass that guy gets a murder rap? Thats a bunch of bullshit. Although I am all for charging the brother, its not the brothers fault that his brother was killed. That was his brothers fault.

Wrong!  A crime is being committed, and more death/damage occurs.  Who are you supposed to charge?  The ones who are reacting to the crime, or the criminals?  You aren't one of those, "Let's not charge anyone because it's nobody's fault", cover-uppers are ya?  

I would call that death accidental. After all, it was an accident.

Should someone who jumps out from behind a bush to play a joke on a friend be charged with murder if the friend spooks, runs out into the street and is struck by a car?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should someone who jumps out from behind a bush to play a joke on a friend be charged with murder if the friend spooks, runs out into the street and is struck by a car?

Jumping out from behind a bush to play a joke is not a crime...

How about jumping out from a bush to rob a woman and she runs out into traffic? Accident, right?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Where did it mention the marksman medal for the home owner? He should get something
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about jumping out from a bush to rob a woman and she runs out into traffic? Accident, right?

No, because he FORCED her to do that.

The helicopter pilot had options. He could have flown higher or aborted the pursuit. He chose poorly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I love that law.

At first glance, it seems like a good law... make the criminals REALLY pay. Unfortunately, like many US laws, it is wide open for abuse at the whim of local (politically appointed) prosecutors.

Example: you have an M4gery with a 14.5" barrel and what you think is a permanently attached Vortex FH. Unfortunately, the smith who put on the FH used soft solder instead of silver solder - ooops. Anyway, one night you find some career scumbag rummaging through your wifes jewelry; when you challenge him (AR in hand) he turns and comes at you with a knife. You shoot. Justifiable homicide, right ? What about when the anti-gun DA finds out that your rifles FH is not "permanently attached" per BATFE guidelines ? You get charged with Felony Murder... a death (the burglar's) caused while you were committing a felony (posession of an unregistered SBR).

Still sound like a good law to you ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Sucks to be Murrey L. Wynn.    

Sucks worse to be Quinton Wynn.    
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This perticular case is wrong.  I agree if someone who isn't the bad guy dies, that the bad guys would be charged with the death.  But iof a bad guy dies during a crime, the other bad guys are not at fault.  As far as I'm concerned the dead bad guy got a karma check.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Good shooting.  That should teach that guy something.

Max
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love that law.

At first glance, it seems like a good law... make the criminals REALLY pay. Unfortunately, like many US laws, it is wide open for abuse at the whim of local (politically appointed) prosecutors.

Example: you have an M4gery with a 14.5" barrel and what you think is a permanently attached Vortex FH. Unfortunately, the smith who put on the FH used soft solder instead of silver solder - ooops. Anyway, one night you find some career scumbag rummaging through your wifes jewelry; when you challenge him (AR in hand) he turns and comes at you with a knife. You shoot. Justifiable homicide, right ? What about when the anti-gun DA finds out that your rifles FH is not "permanently attached" per BATFE guidelines ? You get charged with Felony Murder... a death (the burglar's) caused while you were committing a felony (posession of an unregistered SBR).

Still sound like a good law to you ?

You show mw an example of that and I'll kiss your ass. Talk about a stretch of the imagination...

Not to mention that you have no comprehension of the law itself... You cite a federal violation. Felony murder is a stste law. The example you give MAY give a bad DA a little grounds to get you indicted but not for Felony Murder as it is being discussed here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You show mw an example of that and I'll kiss your ass.

I have no idea whether this has happened... I just made it up, but it illustrates how these "good idea" laws can be open to abuse. Sure, I'm sure YOU would NEVER go after someone you consider to be a "bad guy" with all the weapons at your disposal, to get them no matter what, to get them off the streets, for the children. Its all those other LEOs and DAs that I worry about. Just ask Martha Stewart: "telling lies to federal investigators - 6 months". Wow, perfectly justifiable and not in any way a show trial motivated by political grandstanding. I felt much safer with her off the streets. My turn to .
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#50]
That and the Castle Doctrine ROCK!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top