Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:53 PM EDT
HUD is offering discount home loans to cops quoting stats that show neighborhoods become safer with police in them. I don't know all the details, but it might be a way for new officers to get into homes sooner.
www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/reo/ond/ond.cfm

As I said, I don't know the details, just passing on info for anyone interested.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:11:30 PM EDT
This has been around for several years if I'm not mistaken.

Just my experience but the HUD homes I've known about I wouldn't want to live in that neighborhood!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:50:18 PM EDT
You'll find HUD homes in all types of neighborhoods. But they are usually fixer uppers. So if you have the skills, they can be a great value. Many of our guys have made out very well with this program.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:08:01 AM EDT
It has been around for a while but like jadams951 said they do tend to be in crappier neighborhoods. Once in a while HUD will get some decent places though. Personally I'd just keep watching the list and wait for the right place. This at least holds true for the Chicago market where I am.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:17:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jadams951:

Just my experience but the HUD homes I've known about I wouldn't want to live in that neighborhood!

big +1 around here.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:42:47 AM EDT

True, but...

For a young single officer, this can be a goldmine here in CA. 2 year commitment IIRC. Suck it up, keep a low profile, buy a good gun safe, and sell it off for triple what you paid. Many officers here have cashed in on that.

I wouldn't put my family there though.

NorCal

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:35:53 AM EDT
I know a lot of cops that denigrate welfare (rightfully so) but jump at the chance to get a HUD Officer Next Door home. To me, welfare is welfare, and just because you're a cop you're not entitled to the welfare breast-but thats just me, YMMV. And yes I'm LEO, before I get accused of LEO bashing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:40:53 AM EDT
Got a LEO that lives next door not a HUD house. Had a cold one with him the other day and he told me that the last thing a LEO would want to do is police his own neighbors. Opinion?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:44:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jcncc:
Got a LEO that lives next door not a HUD house. Had a cold one with him the other day and he told me that the last thing a LEO would want to do is police his own neighbors. Opinion?

Agree. I would move if I didn't have decent neighbors. I however am blessed with great ones.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:11:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ryann:
I know a lot of cops that denigrate welfare (rightfully so) but jump at the chance to get a HUD Officer Next Door home. To me, welfare is welfare, and just because you're a cop you're not entitled to the welfare breast-but thats just me, YMMV. And yes I'm LEO, before I get accused of LEO bashing.

Interesting take. I can't see how this even comes close to welfare. Welfare is sought compensation. I can't make the correlation between that and a program started by a government agency that actively seeks LEOs. I have never heard an LEO ask anyone for a half-price house.

This is an incentive program, just like an educational incentive. I hardly think asking an 80K a year person of any occupation to get a house in the hood is a hand-out.

NorCal
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:09:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NorCal_LEO:

Interesting take. I can't see how this even comes close to welfare. Welfare is sought compensation. I can't make the correlation between that and a program started by a government agency that actively seeks LEOs. I have never heard an LEO ask anyone for a half-price house.

This is an incentive program, just like an educational incentive. I hardly think asking an 80K a year person of any occupation to get a house in the hood is a hand-out.

NorCal

By applying for the OND you're ASKING for a half price house. If the Feds fund it, you live in it cheap for the prescribed time, then sell for a profit I'd say thats a government handout, aka subsidized living.
At least one officer on my dept got in legal trouble for gaming the system with the Officer next Door program. Welfare if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:58:47 PM EDT

NorCal

By applying for the OND you're ASKING for a half price house. If the Feds fund it, you live in it cheap for the prescribed time, then sell for a profit I'd say thats a government handout, aka subsidized living.
At least one officer on my dept got in legal trouble for gaming the system with the Officer next Door program. Welfare if you ask me.

We weren't asking you. Go away.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:21:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

NorCal

I didn't ask you to ask me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 1:57:29 PM EDT by rifle-cop624]
My 1st house was through this program. The nieghborhood was not bad, mostly blue collar, working class, and we made out like bandits when we sold it at the end of the four years. At the time, I was only making about $32k a year in the DC metro area (which is to say pigeon feed).
I wouldn't consider my self to have been sucking on the welfare teat. We might have never been able to afford our own home had we not gotten into the "officer next door" program.
my $.02.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:04:20 PM EDT

+1
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:18:07 PM EDT
My deputies only make 27,000 a year. I have one living in govt housing because he can't afford to buy a house anyother way. He has 4 daughters and a wife still in college. I passed him the info on the program, he is a hell of an officer, would hate to lose him to a higher paying dept because he can't afford housing on his pay.

Breacher
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:58:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LPDtactical:

big +1 around here.

+1 also I dont like the idea of having a takehome ride either. If i were to ever have one when I am a deputy i would most definatly stick it in the garage or somewhere out of sight. I dont want people/neighbors knocking on my door when i'm off duty
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:26:21 PM EDT
There's three such properties in my city, all of them in rotten areas. The one officer who took one keeps an ultra-low profile.

I wouldn't do it, not with a family.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:17:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

NorCal

I didn't ask you to ask me.

Must be nice to make so much money that you wouldn't have to lower yourself to ask for this handout. Not like those low-life soldiers with families that have to go on food assistance..... those blood sucking leaches.........
Top Top