Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 10:14:07 AM EDT
I'm looking to build one.

This one got me thinking about all the uses for it, from TIVO like recording/time shifting to making a unified media center that is hooked into my wireless home network.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:20:04 AM EDT
I'm just using a P3-866 with a gig of ram and running XP pro. For the tuner I have an All-in-wonder and use their software and remote. I went with XP instead of media center edition so that I could still run games and other apps on the machine without dual-booting.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:51:07 PM EDT
Stick with XP. Use Media Portal or SageTV to handle the PVR functions.

Get the largest hard drive you can afford. A 320GB SATA Western Digital goes for ~$150.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:32:57 PM EDT
ATI's program comes with the ability to do PVR work. Although I've never really messed with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:29:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
I'm just using a P3-866 with a gig of ram and running XP pro. For the tuner I have an All-in-wonder and use their software and remote. I went with XP instead of media center edition so that I could still run games and other apps on the machine without dual-booting.

Is use the Media Center Edition on my Dell Precision Workstation with a WinTV card. It still runs everything else like a normal PC. I use Office, Visual Studio, games etc, etc...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:54:15 PM EDT
I have an HTPC. I second the notion above for SageTV, it's great. For tuners, I have 2 x Hauppage PVR150-MCE. I use regular WinXP. I have a streamzap remote that uses an USB IR adapter.

Great setup and it's user friendly enough that my gf uses it regularly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:06:25 PM EDT
Top Top