Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 1:36:38 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me how to add a hit counter to a web page? I need one that is free but doesn't have some advertisment attached to it. Is there anything like that available?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't bother. They make sites look amateurish and they don't tell you anything worth knowing. Usually, the numbers are so low as to be embarrassing if anyone actually looks. If you want to know how many hits you have, look at your log files instead.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Well thanks for your opinion but that really isn't what I was asking for.

Is there anyone who can help me with what I need?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You should be able to grab the source code from an existing website, or Google "website hit counter" or something like that. I'm gonna go with wolfman97 on this one though. It kind of makes a website look cheesy. Anyway, hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#4]
This will work for you.

www.codeproject.com/aspnet/EasyHit.asp

*edit: oops, wrong link.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You should be able to grab the source code from an existing website, or Google "website hit counter" or something like that. I'm gonna go with wolfman97 on this one though. It kind of makes a website look cheesy. Anyway, hope this helps.

Yeah, but you can add a hit counter that logs to a file (most web servers have this built in).  Then, at least, you can see how much traffic you're getting.

BoB
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
If you want real info

Awstats
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but you can add a hit counter that logs to a file (most web servers have this built in).  Then, at least, you can see how much traffic you're getting.

BoB

It may tell you how many hits you got on one page, which is just about useless on most sites because people will come in through any page if they search. It also doesn't tell you whether that was X number of unique visitors or just some guy hitting the refresh button a bunch of times.  

Look at the hit counter on rbcd.net as one good example. They report hundreds of thousands of hits - and then give away ammo based on whoever is the XXXth viewer. Well, as a winner of one of their prizes, I can tell you that a few thousand of those hits came from one semi-clever person, so the hit count is meaningless as far as anything real. It was also apparent to me while I was in the process of winning that there were others doing the same thing competing with me. Thousands upon thousands of hits, but possibly only two actual viewers.

If you really want to know the hits on any site that is more than one page -- go to the log files.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top