Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2011 4:48:56 PM EDT
Getting a new phone with data plan from Verizon, have it narrowed down to the Incredible, Incredible 2, or the Thunderbolt.  What the opinion on these phones?  We do not have 4 G in this area, and won't for atleast a few years.

Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
skip the incredible, the incredible 2 stomps it in every way.  I have a thunderbolt and its awesome but like every lte phone it.kills your battery.  If you don't "need" lte or its not in your area I would get the incredible 2.  Wife has one because she thought the thunderbolt was too big and didn't care about lte.  I'm a network guy so I "had" to have lte!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I just dumped my Incredible for the Thunderbolt a few days ago and this thing is a beast. This thing is so much faster that it makes the Incredible look like a tricycle racing a Ferrari. The battery sucks though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I owned the incredible for a while and know 4 others who still do. Was a pretty decent phone overall but they definitely have their issues at times (honestly all androids do as I'm a tech geek and owned 6 different models over the last two years). In my experience HTC makes the most reliable of the androids though so you'll most likely be satisfied with any of your choices. You'll probably hate this advice and take it for what you will but if you want a reliable smart phone for the long haul, get the iPhone 4. I have much more experience than most in this area and it's coming from being a huge android fanboy since they came out. They'll will get better but apple is still ahead of them when it comes to reliability, battery life, and ease of use. People who say your hands are tied with apple or that android is much better  usually don't have all that much experience with both.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike android as they are the only other viable smartphone option other than apple in my opinion (don't get me started on blackberry) but right now they are too splintered and still have some bugs to work out.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Pass. I have a HTC  Insufferable and it has been a major piece of crap. It reboots when it gets warm, which means pretty much anytime I am outside and sometimes will not quit until I pull the battery for awhile. I have heard some of the Thunderbolts are doing the same, although you can have them replaced under warranty. The Incredible 2 I do know nothing about, but I wouldn't give it the time of day, or any HTC phone at this point.  My contract is up and I just hoping something good comes out soon or it will be to a Iphone 4 for me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
pretty much the incredibles have in common is the name.  the speed, screen, battery life, are all way better on the incredible 2.  since your in an area without 4g, I don't see any reason to get the thunderbolt over the incredible 2.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Just get whatever makes her happy...

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I've own all three currently. It all depends on what you need/want and are willing to pay.

You cannot just ask which is better for you. You need to research a lot on android sites and then make you decision based on features you need and what the phones do/can do.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Incredible 2 is great!  last forever on a battery for a smart phone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have A thunderbolt. In stock form the battery life sucks ass.  I accepted an Over the air update from Verizon and what ever the hell they put in it started forcing reboots. went to Verizon and they told me there wasn't any thing that they could do and that Verizon and HTC were working on a fix that should be out by July.

Thats the Bad.

The good is that after they told me that, I got pissed and Rooted the phone.  My Battery life went up to a tolerable level.  I can easily make it through a day with out charging as long as I'm not on it like crazy. The big screen is a huge plus, but is one of the biggest battery eaters on the phone. The phone has a shit ton of potential.  Biggest reason I got it was for the 4g. It's getting very close to my area, and I wanted to lock it in  Before they change their data plans, or some thing stupid like that.

4g is freaking fast. I drove into a 4g zone one day. This is the speed test I pulled.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the Incredible 2. Good phone for what I do. I have no use for 4G. Battery life is decent. I can make it 2 days if I don't play Angry Birds too much.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, and go lurk Android central and Xda forums and read up on the devices that you are interested in.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry an Incredible 2 for work and a Thunderbolt for personal.

That being said, I would vote for the Incredible 2 or the Samsung "Droid Charge".
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Thunderbolt. It smokes my fiancees Droid 2 and doing pretty much everything.  I like it.  Battery life will get me from 6AM to 5PM assuming I actually work a little at work
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#14]
The Thunderbolt is a POS, which is rather surprising for an HTC phone, maybe after this big update that's about to hit it will be better.  The Incredible is a great phone, but there's no way in Hell I'd sign a 2 year contract for that old a phone.  The Incredible 2 is, IMO, only an incremental upgrade but still a good phone.  I wouldn't own a Samsung phone, their hardware is somewhat spotty and they are very slow on updates.  And don't even start me on Touchwiz.  It makes Blur look good.

If it was me I'd pass on all of those and either go with a Droid X2 now or Droid 3 when it becomes available in a few weeks.  Or if you can, wait a month or two for the Bionic.  Or hopefully VZ will get another top of the line HTC phone soon, something like the Sensation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just dumped my Incredible for the Thunderbolt a few days ago and this thing is a beast. This thing is so much faster that it makes the Incredible look like a tricycle racing a Ferrari. The battery sucks though.

Really? I thought they had the same processor / RAM configuration?

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the Incredible 2.  Good phone if you have good coverage.

I like the slim size.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Thunderbolt ftw!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Samsung Droid Charge

11 Hours of talk time and OLED screen!

What is OLED screen?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have A thunderbolt. In stock form the battery life sucks ass.  I accepted an Over the air update from Verizon and what ever the hell they put in it started forcing reboots. went to Verizon and they told me there wasn't any thing that they could do and that Verizon and HTC were working on a fix that should be out by July.

Thats the Bad.

The good is that after they told me that, I got pissed and Rooted the phone.  My Battery life went up to a tolerable level.  I can easily make it through a day with out charging as long as I'm not on it like crazy. The big screen is a huge plus, but is one of the biggest battery eaters on the phone. The phone has a shit ton of potential.  Biggest reason I got it was for the 4g. It's getting very close to my area, and I wanted to lock it in  Before they change their data plans, or some thing stupid like that.

4g is freaking fast. I drove into a 4g zone one day. This is the speed test I pulled.

http://www.speedtest.net/android/53591673.png

I got my Thunderbolt  a week ago this past Saturday. Mine kept rebooting on it's own. I took it back Thursday and they gave me another new one. No problems since.
I bought a spare OEM battery off ebay cheaper than you could from Verizon. So far I am impressed with this phone.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:04:00 AM EDT
[#21]
And to top it off...I just go my 2nd free Incredible 2 phone last night (my CFO wants one after looking at mine)....it is good to know the Southwest HTC Rep
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#22]
FYI:

you CAN disable the 4G switching on the Thunderbolt if you don't have access in your area.   This creates a noticeable improvement in battery life - there are apps and instructions out there.  

But that's only if you think 4G is coming soon, or if you want the Thunderbolt for the larger screen or other reasons.   Most of the reps don't seem to be aware of this option because it is not accessible through the phone menu.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top