Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2001 6:38:16 PM EDT
Trying to find out if this is just spam or the real thing. Supposedly it will prohibit an individual from building their own muzzleloading rifle.

Sarah Brady is supposed to be behind this also.
Checked the NRA and GOA sites with no luck.

Thanx in advance.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't heard of it, but I wouldn't be surprised.  The number of people who would be affected by this is small enough that there wouldn't be much resistance.  I better put together a couple of pre-ban smokepoles just in case. =)
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a real bill... it seeks to apply all existing federal firearms laws to antiques. I assume that means you could still build a muzzleloader for your own use same as you can an AR. Still a bad bill though. Here's a link:

(deleted link... see bill summary below)
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
wow i didnt know muzzleloaders are a dangerous weapon and capable of rapid fire
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the link I posted is time limited, so here's the bill summary:

Antique Firearm Safety Act (Introduced in the House)

HR 1112 IH

107th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1112
To make Federal law apply to antique firearms in the same way it applies to other firearms.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

March 20, 2001
Mr. HOEFFEL (for himself, Mr. CONYERS, Mrs. MALONEY of New York, Mr. FATTAH, Mr. MARKEY, Ms. SCHAKOWSKY, Mr. FRANK, Mr. BECERRA, Mr. BORSKI, Mr. BRADY of Pennsylvania, Mr. MCGOVERN, Mr. BERMAN, Mr. NADLER, Mr. JACKSON of Illinois, Mr. ENGEL, Ms. MILLENDER-MCDONALD, Mrs. MINK of Hawaii, and Mr. WEXLER) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To make Federal law apply to antique firearms in the same way it applies to other firearms.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Antique Firearm Safety Act'.

SEC. 2. ELIMINATION OF EXEMPTIONS FOR ANTIQUE FIREARMS.

(a) IN GENERAL- Section 921(a)(3) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking the last sentence.

(b) CONFORMING AMENDMENTS- Section 922(v)(3)(B) of such title is amended--

(1) by adding `or' at the end of clause (i);

(2) by striking `or' at the end of clause (ii); and

(3) by striking clause (iii).

(c) REGULATIONS- Not later than 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of the Treasury shall prescribe such regulations as may be necessary to administer chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, as in effect pursuant to the amendments made by this Act.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems to me,This is just another small incremental step (that will probably go unnoticed) at pecking away at our gun rights. What's next?? Registration? ...Confiscation?     Just small unnoticed steps eventually add up to large burdens to legal gun owners.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#6]
With all these little BS gun control bills on the books it reminds me of a story my dad told.

If you take a frog and throw it into a boiling pot of water it will fight to jump out. But if you take that frog and just put it a luke warm pot of water and heat it up slowly the frog will stay there till it boils to death.

In my opinion either way the frog gets screwed.  I think they figure if they put a bunch of gun control bills on paper and they only get a few passed every year they are just heating up the water slowly. I just wish we could flood Congress with about 200 pro gun bills and only get a few passed at least we will be heading the right direction.

Six
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
bigdb1,

Can you send me the link via email. Every post I have been reading on the web talks about it, but there is no link to verify it. Not that I don't believe you.

I can see the next bill:

[center][b][i]Reenactors powderhorns considered homemade bomb, ATF seeks to arrest all suicide bombers wearing these destructive devices[/i][/b][/center]

[center][puke][/center]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe this kind of blatant gun confiscation will convince the apathetic "duck hunters" that "they" could be next. It is a real shame that we have no unity among all shooters.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#9]
In trying to smile about this, I think it is Charleton Heston's fault. Yes, I did say that. Remember at one of the NRA meetings, he held up that flintlock rifle?

Well it must have scared the bejesus outta Sarah, because now she thinks we are going to revolt with firelocks...
Link Posted: 4/10/2001 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]
It's just going to be one more compromise to extinction. Compromise is what made us all sheeplein the first place. No compromise for me.Make your fight and fight to WIN not compromise.[-!-]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top