Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 12:58:39 PM EDT
If I buy the winchester gun safe from sams club, it weighs 550 lbs

how do I get the effer out of the bed of my pickup?

can you move it with a hand truck?

should I rent a ryder truck with a lift gate?

will two guys be enough?

should i get a dolly of some kind?

how did you move your safe?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
2 guys + hand truck

Digital
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
i tumbled mine....worked like a charm. (it was also in a cardboard box so i didn't have to worry about scratces etc..)
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hire someone and save your back.

Its money well spent.  You can never buy your back back.

When we moved a few years ago we paid to have it done along with ever thing else.
Depending on if you have any stairs/ curbs etc......it would be worth it IMO
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll be hiring movers for mine.

My brother, a friend and I got it down there. Some muscleheaded college guys can get it out!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a Fort Knox.  They do it for you.

Otherwise get somthing with a lift.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Appliance dolly with starp and back fold down leg and you will be quite fine.  Like said above, cardboard works great for going over tile and thick carpet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's MUCH easier than you would think.  Get a heavy appliance dolly and cardboard for your truck bed/tailgate.  Slide it in using the carboard.  Two guys with strong backs can do it, but three is better.  Remove it the same way.  Securely strap it to the dolly.  It is advised to brace the threshold of your door, especially if it is unsupported in front (and aluminum).  Up stairs is a bitch, but with two guys below, it's not a real killer.  The ease of moving it will make you want to secure it to the floor and at least one side once you have it in place.  

so how exactly do you get it in and out of the truck bed?

just tip it in and lift it?  

won't it bend the truck liftgate?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The more ropes the better.  Tie off the safe when tipping it to prevent it from tipping over.

Use a wrecking bar to lift up a corner, and then lift it onto 1-1 1/2" pipes.  you can easily swivel the safe in place, steel on steel.  Just push the safe along on pipes about 8" apart.  When one pipe is uncovered at the back, move it up in front.

All it takes is time and very little sweat (and swear).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The more ropes the better.  Tie off the safe when tipping it to prevent it from tipping over.

Use a wrecking bar to lift up a corner, and then lift it onto 1-1 1/2" pipes.  you can easily swivel the safe in place, steel on steel.  Just push the safe along on pipes about 8" apart.  When one pipe is uncovered at the back, move it up in front.

I used this method, putting pipes under the safe and rolling it around...it works great and is very easy on the back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Appliance dolly and three big high-school seniors. Pizza and soft drinks afterward.

Cheap way to move.

Also, check first to see what doors in your house you need to remove first.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds so easy........my problem is that I PCS (Permanent Change of Station - active duty military transfer) from time to time - and often move prior to PCS-ing........so moving a heavy safe would be a bitch.......and I rent - dont own property yet.......I currently have a crappy Walmart safe........tagged for info.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Have a local ARFCOM barbecue and spring it on the unsuspecting atendees (note - this only works once).

But two to three guys and a hand druck should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Have a local ARFCOM barbecue and spring it on the unsuspecting atendees (note - this only works once).

I think you are on to something................
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

thanks

Mine was about 500lbs and I loaded into the back of a Bronco.  Put some carpet down so it hangs over the enge of your tailgate.  Lean the safe over and let it rest on the tailgate then (I had two people, me and my wife) lift up and push in.  Do the reverse to unload it and use a hand truck to move it around.  Be sure you strap the safe to the handtruck.

Oh yeah, dont go over uneaven surfaces at an angle with the dolly.  I almost dumped mine over but a friend was there to catch it!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Getting it out of the truck 101.

1. Remove the tailgate.
2. Lay 3 2"x6"x8' planks on the bumper.
3. Slide the safe out just far enough to balance point.
4. Tilt the safe down allowing it to SLOWLY slide down the planks. (note 1)
5. Stand the safe up onto 4 one inch pieces of conduit or other pipe.
6. Roll the safe to the door moving the pipes from behind to the front.
7. Tip the safe through the doorway onto card board.
8. Slide safe on card board to desired location.
9. Stand the safe back up.
10. Fill safe.
11. Repeat exercise in six months because you bought a safe half the size you need

*note 1 get your feet the hell out of the way!!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Actually, if you were moving all over the country, it would work a lot of times.  At least until someone posts your name all over the negative feedback thread
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hire someone and save your back.

Its money well spent.  You can never buy your back back.

When we moved a few years ago we paid to have it done along with ever thing else.
Depending on if you have any stairs/ curbs etc......it would be worth it IMO

+1.  

Paying movers to do that kind of thing for you is money well spent.  I highly recommend it.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I did it the same way with my 1000 lb Heritage. The only thing I would recommend though is use large diameter hardwood dowels, the steel pipe I used tore the paint job up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't make tracks on the floor; women hate that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Hire illegal aliens.  If they hurt themselves you can just get them deported and not worry about any insurace problems.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sounds so easy........my problem is that I PCS (Permanent Change of Station - active duty military transfer) from time to time - and often move prior to PCS-ing........so moving a heavy safe would be a bitch.......and I rent - dont own property yet.......I currently have a crappy Walmart safe........tagged for info.

Dude, even easier, TMO packs that shit up for you!  When we PSC'd to come to OKI, TMO called and asked if we had any heavy or akward stuff to move.  I told them about the safe.  A couple days later, a rep comes out and eyeballs our stuff, I point out the 700lbs safe.  Two weeks later movers show up, a guy about 50, his wife, and thier 20 something son.  They knew nothing of the safe.  It was a little stressful watching them move, and I had to give them some helpful advice on getting it out of the house.  My buddy and I moved it in.  It did flatten both of the tires on their dolly.

Now, we'll see what kind of shape it is in, when we move back in Feb.

If you are one of those guys, that likes to DITY move, then be prepared to sweat!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#26]
First time I moved mine (from my friend/the seller's house to my parent's garage) we transported it upright in his pickup and tipped it over to a couple people waiting at the other end.  Second time, from their garage to our new house, we used the ramp on the U Haul.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If I buy the winchester gun safe from sams club, it weighs 550 lbs

how do I get the effer out of the bed of my pickup?

can you move it with a hand truck?

should I rent a ryder truck with a lift gate?

will two guys be enough?

should i get a dolly of some kind?

thanks

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38154

or if you don't hant have stairs.

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94086
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#28]
If your safe has locking bars/rods on the hinge side of the door (i.e. it's not the cheap type that relies on the hinges for security), you can usually just lift the door off the hinges (use a floor jack if it's a heavy/large door; mine is 350#). This allows you to move the door and safe separately, and you just reinstall the door once the safe is in place.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a winchester safe from Sam's. They loaded it into the truck with a fork lift.

Me and a buddy muscled it out. We used a regular sized (small) dolly to wheel it around with. The dolly was too small but it worked. We both are 6' tall 200 lbs and fit.

Then I moved to a second floor apartment. 5 big guys and a lot of straining. I'll never do that again! Moving out I hired 3 big concrete workers to do it for me. Best money ever spent.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's MUCH easier than you would think.  Get a heavy appliance dolly and cardboard for your truck bed/tailgate.  Slide it in using the carboard.  Two guys with strong backs can do it, but three is better.  Remove it the same way.  Securely strap it to the dolly.  It is advised to brace the threshold of your door, especially if it is unsupported in front (and aluminum).  Up stairs is a bitch, but with two guys below, it's not a real killer.  The ease of moving it will make you want to secure it to the floor and at least one side once you have it in place.  

so how exactly do you get it in and out of the truck bed?

just tip it in and lift it?  

won't it bend the truck liftgate?

No, just put heavy cardboard on the tailgate lip and it will slide right in after you tip it.  Don't drop it on your toes.  

Piece of cake I moved my Browning Wide body with the help of my brother in law a couple years back. I just moved a Winchester as you describe Just the other day and I am still recovering from Chemotherapy! I had Duke-Nukem's help TBK1 we had just the two of us and a hand truck with flat tires! Moved it in the new gunshop Not tough at all tip it in the truck, then let gravity assist you in removing it from the truck, find the CG of the box and it will tip right out! also you can remove the door it will help make the thing lighter the Door is very heavy on most safes!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#31]
2 pieces of 2" PVC pipe cut narrower than your door jams. Will roll around like it has wheels.

Anymore Questions??
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Myself and 2 friends moved my 800 pounder with a dolly.  No issues.  Putting it in the back of the truck and out was fairly easy.  Lean it on the tailgate and slide it in, same coming out.  We than strapped it to a safe dolly and rolled it around.  The fun part was going down my basement stairs.  My 4-wheeler and winch made quick work of that.  All in all, not too difficult.  If I couldn't have found the dolly, I would certainly have used the PVC pipe.  This works well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top