Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 3:43:20 PM EDT
Got MEPS'ED Today.
Gave some blood. Gave some Urine. Did my Duck Walk.
Hurried, Waited, Sweated, Signed, Checked, Printed.
Grand total 12 hours.
Got a MOS I did not even think about.
I couldn't get 11B, nor 19D... Both were full.
But I did get a Combat Arms MOS, that will get me into REQUIRE jump school.
18X
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuckin awesome dude! Good luck with your future!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
ETA: Nevermind

18x is 11B, congrats and good luck. Later
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
11B - FULL?

Wow. I guess the enemy is not as good at its job as they should be. That is a good thing.

Congrats!

I as 11B in the day. ABN school, AAS, a host of others and I went to the 1st RGR batt at Hunter. There was no 3rd batt at the time.

Do well and remember that the "Q" course is mostly a mind game. If you don't mind, they won't matter. They want you to drop out. I would suggest you read a few books about the process. "The Commandos" is one and maybe "Delta Force" by Charlie Beckwith. Both are behind the scenes and will give you insight to the selection process.

Hope you make it to Robin Sage, if they still call it that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
11B - FULL?

Wow. I guess the enemy is not as good at its job as they should be. That is a good thing.

Congrats!

I as 11B in the day. ABN school, AAS, a host of others and I went to the 1st RGR batt at Hunter. There was no 3rd batt at the time.

Do well and remember that the "Q" course is mostly a mind game. If you don't mind, they won't matter. They want you to drop out. I would suggest you read a few books about the process. "The Commandos" is one and maybe "Delta Force" by Charlie Beckwith. Both are behind the scenes and will give you insight to the selection process.

11B is never full! Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney is good too. Yes they still call it Robin Sage. Also I lived in the same barracks you did probably at HAAF Aco 1st PLT Room 120 W
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
11B - FULL?

Congrats!

11B is never full! Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney  is good too. Yes they still call it Robin Sage. Also I lived in the same barracks you did probably at HAAF Aco 1st PLT Room 120 W

I'm about a third of the way into it.  Very good book.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats, and have fun at Benning....

Fortunately, the weather has just started to wind down, so you'll miss the worst of the heat....

It's now actually cooled off (feels like the AC is on) around 5AM... Still gets hot around noon...

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Good luck and start getting in the shape of your life !

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Have fun. Having just completed OSUT recently for 31B (In May) I know what your gonna get into...basic itself is just a mind fuck. You WILL question what you are doing for the first three weeks or so. Dont. Just remember that training IS NOT the real Army. Things are more relaxed in the real Army than in training.

Keep yer head up, and do exactly what you are told to do, when you are told to do it. Do not interpert and  don't do your own thing. Conformity is the name of the game.

Take it easy.

John
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I tought it was crazy too. I don't understand how but the only combat arms slot open besides artillery or tanker, and a few others I wasn't crazy about were full at the MEPS.
True that 18X IS 11B but It guarantees me a shot at trying out for SF and it'll get me jump school like I wanted. But I was told that straight 11X or 11X with opt 40 was closed.
Unless the counseler (sp?) just wanted me in SF
My recruiter (ABN 'chute rigger) had told me he talked to the counselor I was going to see beforehand,
and he knew I wanted abn.
I got the last 18X slot open.

I'm not worried about "Q" school SFAS or any of that stuff. The only thing on my mind is to make it through OSUT. If I can do that at my age (28) and not in the best shape, I'm sure the  physical/emotional/mental challenge of SFAS and all that good stuff wil be a cakewalk.
Now I just gotta break the lease, pack the stuff, and get downrange.

I know I'm a sharp cookie, It's just the physical aspect I'm (not so) worried about.
Being a beanpole means I'm not so good at pushups, that and I smoked for the last 14 years.
I can almost make my 60/60/60 right now, but I've only been PT'ing for 13 days. (since I went to the recruiters office.) got the situps down like the bottom of my shoe, and my running is passable.
I got my fingers crossed that I get weapons, or engineer, but it's not up to me.
DLAB should be good to go too. Mom taught French/Spanish/Italian for 32 years, and she lives in (cough) France right now.
Failure in this is not a thought to me. My day at MEPS was the happiest day of my life so far.

Hoplite. Nope Ft Lee MEPS. The richmond MEPS is gone now I think or else I wouldve went there.
I live downtown, right off Broad and 1st.

Dave_A. Hope to see you there. I'll be the tall skinny Red headed guy with the ATARI logo on the right upper forearm in blue. It'll be hard to mistake me for somebody else.

Wish me luck brothers in arms!

Go Infantry Or Go Home.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats and good luck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I witnessed alot of asshatery at the MEPS.
They were wanding people but didn't put bags through the spectrometer.
I think one of the "future" soilders had a firearm/knife on his person, due to his DQ and being walked out by security.
I was amazed at the general lack of respect that most of the MEP'ers showed the staff.
Also by the acts of stupidity at the Holiday Inn the night before.
Then again all but a handfull of the MEP'ers were a day over 18.

Hoplite. yeah I guess that MEPS is gone.

It was nice to see, the staff have very little (no) respect for the people that were idiots; and just as nice to see them warm up to me and then turn cold when they spoke to the other "future" soilders.
I was given my physical by a Dr. Roma. He was very nice, great bedside manner. I thought everyone at MEPS was a stern proffesional, I gave respect to everone there, and was given it in return.
Even though it lasted for 12 hours, my experience there was not uncomfortable. The fish was cold but tasty. I could have been served warm cardboard, and still would have attacked it like it insulted my mother due to my hunger.
I found the facility to exceed exactly what I expected. I was treated with the respect I did not think I deserved. I of course showed respect to everone there, grinned my way through every step from the moment I got there. I walked out with a newfound respect for our(my) armed services.

I even laughed at the dry humor of the MEPS commander. He walked into the inital Med screening/do the inital paperwork room speaking Russian. I almost thought for a second that he was speaking english. His dry but harmless humor put me at ease. During my swear in I snapped into a parade rest like I meant it, and spoke loud and proud. I took no humor in the jokes of the other MEP'ers, and kept my mouth shut. I adressed the staff as they should be treated, and I feel that I was treated as an individual worhty of respect.

It was a bit un-nerving to only see three marine prospects; but it was nice to see all three get through the process with poise, respect, paitence and dignity.
It was also a shocking thing to only see one AF and one Coastie prospect.

I am honored to be given the chance to try out for SF. This was not a chance I had anything other than a wet dream for before.
I am forever changed by all of this, and I thank all of our men/women that choose to serve our nation.
I know that my swear in can be broken If is choose to (yeah right, like I would look an honor like this as a lark).
I am headed in the right path (for once) in my life.

My only regret is that I was on the fence for way too long.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:33:44 AM EDT
[#15]
lol, first time I went into MEPs, I had my Benchmade Skirmish on me (Not a small knife.) Asked me to empty my pockets and i pulled it out. Recruiter hadn't told me no knives, lol. The marine at the desk started looking kinda ansy, but my recruiter covered for me and told them, "Well, he didn't look like the kind of kid who would be carrying a knife!" lol, back at the recruiting staton they all found it amusing that I had that knife on me.

Ah, my first real contact with the military...if I knew then, what I knew now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top