Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/20/2008 2:33:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 2:40:52 AM EDT by BuffLuver]
Heres the story, I have been a Govt Contractor for almost 3 years now working at various locations in N.VA, I live in MD. I have had commute lengths of almost 170 miles a day now down to 110 a day. For the last 26 months I have been working as a courier and that adds another 50-60 miles to my daily drive, depending on what day of the week it is, we alternate driving every other day for the run.

The company I work for is pretty small but we get darn good money considering what we pick-up and deliver and also due to our security clearances. Last Fri I was called by Northrop Grumman and offered a job, I had interviewed a week prior to that. They can not match the salary I am making now, which I figured would happen due to the Govt entity that will be the sponsor for my Clearance.

They best they can do is offer me $5.46/hr less then what I make now. On the plus side I will be reducing the mileage I add to my Jeep by over 11,500. I have an 04 Jeep Liberty which I bought new July 04 with 5 miles on it and I now have over 102,000 on it, I would say 75% of that mileage comes from my driving to N.VA. So that would decrease the $ I spend on gas by at least $3,500 not to mention oil changes and wear and tear on my Jeep.

My commute is Rte 95 to Rte 495, in the AM I rarely have problems, coming home is a whole different story. Last Fri I left at 2:10 PM because I had to get home and take a pet to the Vets. I didn't get home until 4 PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was for a 55 mile drive. And Summer is only half way done, I do not feel like going through that crap each Fri.

As a result of all the stop and go driving I do I have developed Morton's Neuroma in my right foot, which is very painful. If I continue the job I have now I may have to go through surgery for my foot, which I am NOT looking forward too!! This new job would be an office position, with around a 60 mile a day commute, it could be less because there are several routes I could take.

We managed to pay our mortgage off last Summer so that is one less payment to make, and I think we can swing the reduction in my salary. But the biggest plus would be a heck of a better commute each AM. I am set with firearms, really do not need/want anymore, and I figure my Jeep should last another 2 years until we get my wife's paid off.

They may be able to get me $1/hr more, not sure, but the benefits of going with the #3 defense contractor I think will far outweigh the reduction in pay. What say you, hive mind? Think I should just tighten the belt and go for the new job?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:38:03 AM EDT
IMHO sounds like a winner to me.... Money isn't everything
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:22:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/20/2008 3:23:29 AM EDT by PA452]
Doesn't sound like you'd really have to tighten your belt all that much if it saves you a bundle in gas and wear and tear on your vehicle, not to mention the time you'd save.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:37:34 AM EDT
Right now I get up at 3:15 AM, that way I can get my critters fed and have a nice, leisurely commute in, that way I get to work around 5:30 AM and get a spot to park under the trees. This other job starts at 7 AM, I have to start now at 6 AM, so I usually go to sleep before 9 PM each night, which has been putting a heck of a strain on my marriage because I sleep in the front bedroom during the week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:44:59 AM EDT
sounds like you know the answer already. A pay cut made up in quality of life - sounds decent to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:46:06 AM EDT
New job - money isn't everything and with the mileage reduction it shoud be near even.

I live in MD - where are you? Me: near Loch Raven
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:48:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Maryland_Shooter:
New job - money isn't everything and with the mileage reduction it shoud be near even.

I live in MD - where are you? Me: near Loch Raven

I live in Pasadena, AA CO.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:49:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RyJones:
sounds like you know the answer already. A pay cut made up in quality of life - sounds decent to me.

^^This^^ Enjoy your extra time not spent commuting and recovering from surgery. Easy decision, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:51:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sprayandpray:
IMHO sounds like a winner to me.... Money isn't everything

+1
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:56:45 AM EDT
Go for it. Your time and wear and tear the car will easily off set the 11k less in salary. I've always consider a job that was local or in the home would be worth that kind of cut.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:01:01 AM EDT
The biggest issue I have with my current job is the commute, it is flat wearing me to a nub! By Fri I can barely stay up past 9 PM, and that is only IF I drink some coffee.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:36:07 AM EDT
Take the new job. F the traffic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:34:46 PM EDT
I e-mailed the manager a few minutes ago to tell her I will take the job.
Top Top