Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 8:06:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 8:09:09 PM EDT by pcsutton]
Badass lookin' gat....

Linkage

I WANT one!

With many of our M16/M4 rifles reaching the end of their service lives, we have to find an affordable, acceptable solution, now. Utilizing this inspiration, Heckler & Koch (HK) has been working on an enhanced carbine that would outperform all current competition grade 5.56mm carbines in effort to provide superior performance after the incredibly successful mid-life upgrades to the British SA80 (L85/L86) Weapons System. And now, HK has stepped up to the plate with their newest enhanced carbine -- the HK416.

The HK416 operates on a short-stroke piston gas system that does not introduce propellant gases back into the weapon's interior, therefore reducing carbon fouling and cleaning time. This gas system is not sensitive to barrel length or ammunition changes, and has user-removable components. The HK416 also has a free-floating fore end with an innovative 4-quadrant rail system designed by HK. This enables all current accessories to be fitted to the weapon. The fore end can be removed and reinstalled without tools, and with no loss in zero. This weapon utilizes one of HK's famous cold hammer-forged barrels, which provides a substantial increase in reliability, service life, and operator safety. These barrels are forged with the highest quality steel in a unique manufacturing process. This produces a product that provides superior accuracy for greater than 20,000 rounds with minimal degradation of accuracy and muzzle velocity.

HK has produced a new high-reliability steel magazine, which is designed to fit any of the STANAG-compatible rifles. Originally developed for the British L85 and L86 weapons, the performance of this curved, 30-round magazine was tested by select U.S., UK, and German forces in three different environments during the firing of more than half a million rounds. These tests showed a 30 to 50 percent improvement over the existing aluminum and polymer magazines currently in the U.S. inventory.

After evaluations by both German and U.S. forces, it has been determined that the HK416 is definitely a contender to become the next generation of assault carbines. There are reports that a number of U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan are already using HK416 carbines. Initial reports from the field show the HK416 performs superbly.

The HK416 made its first appearance at the Armed Forces Journal's 2005 Shootout at Blackwater. Evaluators were nearly unanimous in their praise for HK's newest creation. One evaluator had this to say -- “I was amazed at the cleanliness of the bolt and chamber. It's a solid, reliable platform -- a combination of tried-and-true technology with new innovations … keeps the gun cooler, reducing prospects of an inadvertent full auto. And the new MP5 sights are adjustable for range -- a long-overdue improvement.”

It was also noted by another evaluator that after one and a half cases of ammo, there was very little heat transfer to the bolt and the bolt face was still clean. Yet another evaluator commented, "An absolute joy to shoot. More reliable, accurate, clean, cool -- what is there not to like? This upper and this magazine should be the replacement for the M-16/M-4 right now. The steel magazine, closed gas system, and short-stroke piston solve many of the current problems with the M-16/M-4 series, and represent a more effective, better and much less expensive solution to our weapons needs than the XM-8 ... At a time when many of our rifles and carbines have reached the end of their service lives, replacing the uppers and magazines with H&K's M416 components would seem to be a very logical move."

One evaluator paid the HK416 the ultimate compliment -- "Fantastic. If I could take any weapon out of here today to combat, it would be this one."

How do you think the HK416 compares with the M468 and XM-8?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:14:34 PM EDT
Looks like they listened to the end-user this time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:15:17 PM EDT
Looks familiar.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:16:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:20:16 PM EDT
i just want the damn lower and rail system
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:21:12 PM EDT
Looks like a rebadged/cosmestically changed SCAR.

Looks cool though. I'd take it over an M16.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:28:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 8:29:29 PM EDT by PBIR]
"Here's the pulse. Here's your finger..."

www.ar15.com/forums/search.html?b=1

enter "416", "all board", "3 months".
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:35:02 PM EDT
The gas piston and op rod were basicly lifted from the g36/sl8 system. My sl8 bolt stays really clean after a few hundred rounds, just a quick wipedown is all thats needed.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:46:15 PM EDT
DUPPITTY DUPPITTY DUPE-
Quick call the DUPE POLICE
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:47:06 PM EDT

"At a time when many of our rifles and carbines have reached the end of their service lives, replacing the uppers and magazines with H&K's M416 components would seem to be a very logical move."

And the next time my arm hurts, I'll be sure and see the eye doctor
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:53:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:54:11 PM EDT
How much just to replace the Upper Receiver?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:55:18 PM EDT
This is the rifle that should replace the M4/M16.

Not the XM8.

It's basically the same rifle with upgraded and improved features. Sounds like a winner to me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:56:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:58:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By badroc:
DUPPITTY DUPPITTY DUPE-
Quick call the DUPE POLICE

-fuc* the dupe police-
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:01:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shotar:
looks like a knockoff of an AR with heckler and Krap markings and a few new rails. Why not just stick with what works and maybe add a do dad or two if so desired by the troops.

yep
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:03:01 PM EDT
The piston upper is one good reason why this rifle is an improvement. Essentially, it's the same overall design, so re-training isn't needed.

Win-win in my book.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:04:32 PM EDT
Does anyone else hate those HK barrel sights? I can't freakin stand them!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:05:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gunbert:

Best.Sights.Ever.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:07:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Best.Sights.Ever.

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:09:30 PM EDT

Never used them before/never seen them.

Doesnt matter when you use an ACOG/M68 CCO/other optics, imo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:14:09 PM EDT

I like HK barrel sights.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:35:58 PM EDT
It looks similar to the piston operated 5.56 by DSARMS (Model DSZM4GTC)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:00:52 AM EDT
Make in something like 6.5 grendal and I think it should be adopted.

+1 on the diopter sights.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:48:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
images.military.com/pics/SoldierTech_HK416-1.jpg

About $1500?

I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:49:35 AM EDT
funny, the M16 has worked beautifully without an overly heavy and unneeded piston.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:50:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:51:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Best.Sights.Ever.

+1
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:52:08 AM EDT
what in the hell is HKs obsession with short barrels that is the stupidest thing i have ever saw. it effective fragmentaion range is what 50 meters how stupid is that
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:58:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 10:59:44 AM EDT by LARRYG]
I have an M1 Garand with a gas piston, ARs with gas pistons, and ARs with direct impingement. Much ado about nothing, except that the direct impingement ARs are easier to keep on target. BFD.

I don't find the cleaning any easier or better on either kind nor do I find one type more reliable than the other. They have all been reliable.

This whole "shits where it eats" crap is worn out and overblown. Another solution looking for a problem
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:05:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By super64:
It looks similar to the piston operated 5.56 by DSARMS (Model DSZM4GTC)

This one?

They call it "gas trap system". Is that just a fancy way of saying piston or is it not what we normally think of as a piston upper?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:06:24 AM EDT
wow, the HKoolaid is flowing today!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:08:38 AM EDT
I'd love to take one for a test drive and see how it feels.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:10:03 AM EDT
Yea we have a guy at Church who has been testing these for SF.

I was told they like them other than the fact they are a bit heavy.

Hopefully some affrdabe ones will be avalible soon.

FREE
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:10:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 11:12:05 AM EDT by Mauser101]

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:

Which flavor? That HK makes a good product? That the turret site is a good design? That a free floating barrel when issued as upposed to an upgrade is a good thing? That the piston system is an improvment over venting all kinds of shit back into the reciever?

That Koolaid tastes pretty good and it certainly isn't as nasty as the XM-8 flavor.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:12:32 AM EDT
Yea but their a pain in the ass to clean.

FREE

funny, the M16 has worked beautifully without an overly heavy and unneeded piston.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:19:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 11:20:19 AM EDT by bullyforyou]

i don't really buy the whole "runs cleaner" thing.

until we stop using ammunition that has some sort of exhaust, there will be no such thing as clean. the best it could possibly be is dirty, in a different area of the weapon.

yeah, the upper may be cleaner, but now the piston and all related components are covered in crap.

everyone raves about how "clean" FALS are, and how easy they are to clean. i spend just about the same ammount of time cleaning both.

ETA: i do dig on HK sights though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:22:00 AM EDT

Yeah, cuz they've never jammed in mass quantities, ever....not once.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:25:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tyman:

Hopefully, you are kidding.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:29:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mauser101:

Which flavor? That HK makes a good product? That the turret site is a good design? That a free floating barrel when issued as upposed to an upgrade is a good thing? That the piston system is an improvment over venting all kinds of shit back into the reciever?

That Koolaid tastes pretty good and it certainly isn't as nasty as the XM-8 flavor.

well that is the thing, how can it be a free floating barrel with a piston attatched to it? and as far as venting "all kinds of shit" back into the receiver, I've never seen that as a problem unless I was running wolf which just stinks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:30:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

FREE

true, but so is a piston, come now you've scraped carbon off of a 240B piston.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:44:20 AM EDT
Why are we fixing something that's not broken? I M4 works just fine.

But if we really need a replacement then this should work just fine
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:56:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

It's called sarcasm.

I was making fun of him because he says they worked beautifully and they've jammed billions of times, sometimes in combat.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:57:11 AM EDT
Doesn't this belong in the M16 fourm?

HEY MOD.....

PS, the HK 416 upper will never hit the US market in the normal supply channels....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:00:08 PM EDT
True

FREE

Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:

FREE

true, but so is a piston, come now you've scraped carbon off of a 240B piston.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:02:36 PM EDT
Yea, but you know all the really cool stuff is not obtained thru normal channels.

FREE

Originally Posted By Hydguy:
Doesn't this belong in the M16 fourm?

HEY MOD.....

PS, the HK 416 upper will never hit the US market in the normal supply channels....

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:15:35 PM EDT

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:58:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

It's called sarcasm.

I was making fun of him because he says they worked beautifully and they've jammed billions of times, sometimes in combat.

Just checking.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2005 1:15:20 PM EDT by WildBoar]
Meh, what does it do that cant be done on what we have now. Why spend all that money one the same old same old witha facelift? It is better at not cooking off? Like that was ever a problem with the M16 M4.

Send that 4th Riech piece of crap back to germany.

Just another over engineered M16.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:14:14 PM EDT

None of the ones I was issued had a problem with jamming. Its usually operator error. Uslauul REMFS who have a problem.
Top Top