Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 3:46:47 PM EDT
My son is 1 and we reently switched him over from formula to whole milk.  He has been on whole milk for about a month now.  At first everything was fine.  For the past two weeks he has been pooping alot, but today has been too much.  I know I have changed 8 poopie diapers today.  It won't stop!!!
Is there anything I can do to help it quit?  I am going to take him off of milk until Monday when I can call the do but I am not  even sure that milk is the problem since he was fine when we first started him.  Please HELP!!!!!!!!!! hock.gif
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
what else has changed in his diet?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
what else has changed in his diet?

Nothing...he is eating the same things that he normally does.  He has had no fever or been sick so I don't think its that.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a mother but many times the fat can cause diarreah. Try something like 2% and see if its any better. I know I have intestinal problems with too much fatty or greasy foods. Also take him to see the doc he might have an intestinal problem
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
may i suggest ....

and

J
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not a mother but many times the fat can cause diarreah. Try something like 2% and see if its any better. I know I have intestinal problems with too much fatty or greasy foods. Also take him to see the doc he might have an intestinal problem

That may be the problem because  when we first started him we started him on 2%...then a couple of weeks ago I switched him to whole milk because pediatricians recommend it for brain development.  I will have to try that and see.  I am also taking him to the doc for his check up so I will mention this issue to him.  Right now I am just giving him Gatorade to keep him well hydrated.  I have a broken finger and a huge cast so it is really hard to change all of these diapers when hubby isn't home.  I think after today I will have it mastered!  Thanks for the good advice!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The doc is right about brain development and whole milk but if he has intestinal problems it may be too rich for him
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
lactose intolerant?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
is there a change in his poop?  color, blood, consistancy ?

did you gradually change from formula or change overnight?

might be an enzyme deficiency in his tummy (solidifies the milk so that it can be digested), not allowing the digestive system to do it's thing and it passes it right on out.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
lactose intolerant?

I'm not sure since he did fine on it initially.  He tolerates ice cream and other dairy products fine.  If someone is intolerant can they eat certain dairy products and not be effected but others cause problems?  I knw nothing about intolerance.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

might be an enzyme deficiency in his tummy (solidifies the milk so that it can be digested), not allowing the digestive system to do it's thing and it passes it right on out.

Change in consistancy.  Not diarrhea today, but really mushy and like oatmeal. Sorry if I gross anyone out.  When we changed him over to milk we alternatd between milk and formula for about a week.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Not grossed out I know this isn't funny but when I read the topic line I busted up.  I had the same problem when I quit breast feeding my daughter and went to formula and again from formula to milk.  Her Ped. told me that they don't digest milk as thoroughly and in turn more waste is passed .  I'm trying not to get to specific lol.  Oh Lord do I feel you pain Sister!  Let us know what the Doc says.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure on the milk/poop issue for sure, but I am going to have lean towards it could be causing the problems.
I did want to suggest though to use pedialyte instead of gatorade for him. Dr.s say gatorade is not good for children that age and the pedialyte helps with dehydration better.
But just for the record, I used to use gatorade with my girls when they were babies, I see no difference in them now, but I use pedialyte for the baby now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
lactose intolerant?

I'm not sure since he did fine on it initially.  He tolerates ice cream and other dairy products fine.  If someone is intolerant can they eat certain dairy products and not be effected but others cause problems?  I knw nothing about intolerance.  Thanks!

Well, I can eat pizza, cheeseburger, mac & cheese, etc., and have no problems. Drink a glass of milk or a milkshake, and there had better be a bathroom nearby.  Lactose intolerance is pretty common, especially among certain ethnicities.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Have to agree with Mrs. GH on the pedialyte.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
lactose intolerant?

Well, I can eat pizza, cheeseburger, mac & cheese, etc., and have no problems. Drink a glass of milk or a milkshake, and there had better be a bathroom nearby.  Lactose intolerance is pretty common, especially among certain ethnicities.

+1 Very common with negroes and asians
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
may i suggest ....
www.midwestsupplies.com/products/images/wine/7x3-4Straight.jpg

and

www.officedepot.com/pictures/SK/MD/444755_sk_md.jpg

J

NONONO!  Do you realize the pressure that will build up behind that thing?!!  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

CATALASE OR RENNIN
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#20]
If I could wear a diaper and have a woman change me everytime I soiled myself, I would be crapping myself all the time too.  In fact, when I get obscenely rich, that will become part of my lifestyle.  To much information?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#21]
How's he doing this morning?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#22]
No poop so far.  He just got up.  I'm glad he hasn't hone in a while cause he was getting a rash.  Poor baby!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I"m willin to bet that he'll be just fine and todays bm's should be less frequent.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#24]
If he is not ill then I agree that it is most likely the fat in the whole milk.  My son was the same way; whole milk caused diarrhea so I had to switch to 2%.

Pedialyte is prefered but my kids would not drink it.  Gatorade is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#25]
You need to take this to The Mighty Poo Thread.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried using the Force on the little guy, but, I'm just not getting through to him!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I feel for you G-W!  My son is almost 4 and still does the deed 4x a day!  A true guy I guess!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I feel for you G-W!  My son is almost 4 and still does the deed 4x a day!  A true guy I guess!  

Cute! You could use one of my "father/son" magazine holders in your bathroom I'm pretty sure. Gun magazines on one side...disney magazines on the other
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Same here just swap out 9yr old and daughter. Its all cool she reads my gun mags.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I tried using the Force on the little guy, but, I'm just not getting through to him!

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You need to take this to The Mighty Poo Thread.

Not stepping in that one!!!   , besides we switched him to 2% and he is doing much better!!! Thanks everyone for the advice!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top