Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2002 8:49:38 PM EDT
I have an option to get (for free) a Vault Door--38" wide by 78" high, about 600 lbs.  The frame comes with it, and is about 250 lbs.  

I have a place to put it (in storage).  However, I don't have anyone to help move it or a way to get it (one hour drive) from where it is located to where it has to go.  

The Door is on a dolly, but is lying down flat, and would need to be turned on it's side to make it through the doorway to the loading dock.  Impossible to do by myself, and would need 2 or 3 other guys to do it properly.  

If I can figure out how to get it together and get it moved, I would be worth keeping for when I eventually build a house and put a gun vault in.  

The door is part of an old Narcotics vault in a hospital, and is being disposed of.  It is fireproof.  

Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
ONe case of beer, to buy friends, and about 6  pipes, 1 inch gas pipe will work, 2 ft long to lay on floor as rollers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Tried getting a couple of guys together, but the weekends are hard to get people to commit to a couple of hours to do something like this.  Evenings and weekdays are impossible for me.

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, if I lived closer I'd be in to help.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried getting a couple guys from the gun shop to help you out?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
you must not have offered enough [beer]. You cant buy friends with favors you need [beer][:)]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 850lb Safe from Matt_S & ARlady 2 weeks ago...Only a 1 mile journey from storage faucilty to house...Removed T-Gate from El Camino...Rented appliance dolly...Had 5 guys help...Am now proud owner of said Safe!!!

Where there is a will and a prayer...all things are possible...

P.S. Pray for friends and or neighbors & God Bless [^]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Engine hoist?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to the local soup kitchen and recruit a few whinos to help you, just promise them a fifth of whatever they want.  However, blindfolding them while driving to and from your place of residence and covering the address on your mailbox/house is recommended.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#9]
hire some illeagle mexicans
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Use an an appliance dolly and pipes for rollers. Don't be suprised if at some point you begin to feel like Sisyphus.

Help from Archimedes and friends is almost a must with anything that heavy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#11]
A pallet jack may work as well.  You should be able to build an appropriate dolly out of scrap lumber and a few casters.  If nothing else, hire a vault company to move it for you.

Good Luck!

SRM
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Give me a holla when you do.  Weekends are good.  I am a 9-5'er thru M-F.

All I expect is some range time behind the barrett 82. [;)]

J/K,
c-rock
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds  like a job for the AR15.com army!!

Surely there are enough members out there to help you??

It would be a great way to meet new friends...

Hard work is a great bonder
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Depends if their are stairs involved. If it is a straight shot, than the dolly it is now on, a lowboy trailer equipped with a winch and some pipe to roll it on to the lowboy might get it done..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top