Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2001 11:44:31 AM EDT
Hey guys, I am in a real crappy situation here. I recently purchased a NIB Bushmaster carbine and it had the "purple" tint to the finish, so I decided to get it re-anodized. I chose a reputable local manufacturer to do this. Well, I got a call today and was told the plater screwed up and left my lower in too long and it is now junk. The person I had been dealing with told me that they were going to get me another receiver and don't worry. My problem is it took me quite awhile to find the rifle I got, and I don't ever recall seeing a NIB bushy lower for sale by itself. Since I have never fired it, I want a NIB lower to replace it. So I am appealing to you folks to let me know if you might know where I could find one.
I was also wondering if anyone knows if I could have it replaced by Bushmaster?? I dont think they can but i'm not sure.
I am so damn mad I could just SPIT NAILS !!!!
So if anyone knows where I could locate a new preban bushy lower please let me know.
Thanks
SPECTRE

BTW, he offered to get me a colt lower, I searched for a bushy because of the pushpins. what do you think about getting a colt instead ??
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I also forgot to ask this.... If I have to take a colt instead, how well will my bushy upper work on a colt lower ??? AND which colt lower should I look for ??? (green, blue, white labels etc...)
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, that sucks!

IMHO, I would hold out for the Bushmaster lower. They seem to be bringing more money than the average Colt (unless it's a gov't carbine or something like that) and I think it's due to the number of the two that are out there. The Bushmaster is way less common. I know, I settled (yep, I said settled and Colt in the same sentence) for a preban Colt lower with the large pivot hole because I couldn't find a reasonably priced BM.

Also, I have heard that some manufacturers will reproduce your serial numbered lower if there are warranty related issues or it becomes damaged. I would imagine you would need to contact them and ask about it and I'm sure they would want to verify the serial number on the lower.

Check into it and let us know what you find out.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
If it ain't a Colt....It's just a copy!!  [(:)]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, a copy of a copy of an Armalite design. [:)]

Funny, the only firearms Colt sells now are other people's designs.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I just got off the phone with Bushmaster, and they said that they can do absolutly nothing about it. By law, they can't replace and destroy the old one or issue a new preban. SO I AM STILL SCREWED !!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH !!!!!!!
[pissed]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats BS, I've read on the forums where Colt and Oly have replaced damaged pre-ban lowers. You just have to pay the $$ for the replacement. I believe Stokes had a Colt replaced.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thats BS, I've read on the forums where Colt and Oly have replaced damaged pre-ban lowers. You just have to pay the $$ for the replacement. I believe Stokes had a Colt replaced.
View Quote

Well, I wish that were the case, however, I talked to Bushmaster personally and they told me they cannot do anything about it. The company who is doing this for me is also a law enforcement dealer with Bushmaster and they do regular business with them and they were told the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe its time for a conference call between the ATF, Bushmaster and yourself?  Write a letter to the ATF's tech branch about it, the response should take about 6 weeks.  You did get the ruined lower back, right?  You would need the ruined lower to show that you had a preban.  Another option: If the part of the magazine well with the serial number is structurally ok, have that area cut out and welded into place on a new lower.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

What a sell out....[:D]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]
SPECTRE....

I don't have any advice that hasn't been given, but I just wanted to say that you should be spitting nails!

A NIB Bushmaster ruined because some retard screwed up? Oh my god, I know it's water under the bridge, but HOLY SHIT would I be pissed! It's not like replacing one is real easy.

If I were you, I'd tell the people to keep the Bushy upper and replace the whole rifle, since it would be easier to do then get a NIB pre-ban lower. Let the burden be there's, they screwed up.

Then again, if they don't want to play ball, what next?

Sorry to hear about all this, what a drag.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you know how much the company that screwed up is willing to pay for this replacement lower?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Spectre, read this link:

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=33150[/url]

Scroll down to the very bottom and read the letter that Wilson took a picture of.  Bushmaster can indeed manufacture a new lower for you in the case of a defective lower, but I'm not sure if this is the case with one that was ruined by a re-finisher.

Here's the letter, just in case.

[img]www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Cope/variance.gif[/img]

It might be a good idea to speak directly to Ms. DeSimmons at Bushmaster.

Good luck, and if Bushmaster cannot replace the lower, I'd personally make the people responsible for screwing up your rifle completely replace it.  I've been looking for a pre-ban Bushmaster lower, and they're very hard to find.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I cant belive that you "had to" refinish it ...just because it was purple. Value of said lower is then reduced not to mention the risk of having it ruined.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I cant belive that you "had to" refinish it ...just because it was purple. Value of said lower is then reduced not to mention the risk of having it ruined.
View Quote

ummmm, I did not "HAVE TO" have it refinished, but rather, chose to do so. I contacted many different companies and did alot of research before doing this, and I have NEVER heard of this type of thing happening. I fail to see how having a receiver re-anodized is a risk. after all, they are anodized all the time with no problems when new.
I did not purchase the rifle as a investment, so I was not concerned about the possible effect that refinishing might have on it's value. However I personally don't think it would affect it at all.
SPECTRE
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry for your loss bro......[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/whinging.gif[/img]

I must say that I think the purplish BM's are very cool and I don't see allot of them. Oh well water under the pre-ban bridge.

Ybbeat
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Does the damage done to the lower permanently alter its function or is it just a cosmetic thing that cannot be fixed to look normal?
If it just looks bad but still functions properly it might explain why Bushmaster cannot replace the lower. I beleive they can only replace a broken, non functioning lower.
I could be wrong on this just something to think about.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Interestingly enough, I have an identical letter from the ATF that came back with my M17S.  Bushmaster may not WANT to do it, but it is entirely legal to number a virgin receiver with your serial # or to substitute another receiver and destroy yours.

Worst case, take the Colt--they are not bad receivers, just the push pin vs. screw thing.  Or, try to see if you can hold out for an Armalite pre-ban, they may bring a little more money.

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does the damage done to the lower permanently alter its function or is it just a cosmetic thing that cannot be fixed to look normal?
If it just looks bad but still functions properly it might explain why Bushmaster cannot replace the lower. I beleive they can only replace a broken, non functioning lower.
I could be wrong on this just something to think about.
View Quote

The damage is functional. The front hole for the push pin on one side is erroded away and also one hole for the trigger guard.
I have no idea why this happened, it was a NIB rifle and the company told me that they use this plater on a regular basis, and have been using them for some time. I guess I just got the one bad one.
My next concern is about the upper receiver, it was done at the same time, and while they say there is no visible damage, I am concerned that the integrity of the rifle may have been compromised. I gave them a NIB, unfired(except at the factory for testing) Rifle to be reanodized, and I expect to get a NIB unfired rifle back in return.
As to the plating issue, can anyone tell me if the upper may be damaged too ?
SPECTRE
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't know who you talked to at Bushmaster but go up the chain of command, and up, and up...I have found it to be of little or no use to ever waste my time with the flunkies who answer phones. Unless it is a very straightforward situation they don't know shit, ever. Good luck, man. Damn would I be pissed.
By the way, have you actually seen the lower and checked the serial number? Sounds awfully suspicious to me. Alot of people would like to have your preban.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't know who you talked to at Bushmaster but go up the chain of command, and up, and up...I have found it to be of little or no use to ever waste my time with the flunkies who answer phones. Unless it is a very straightforward situation they don't know shit, ever. Good luck, man. Damn would I be pissed.
By the way, have you actually seen the lower and checked the serial number? Sounds awfully suspicious to me. Alot of people would like to have your preban.
View Quote

I plan on climbing the chain of command ladder tomorrow, both with bushmaster and the ATF.
I am going down to see it tomorrow as well, the company is a well known AR-15 accesories manufacturer who does gunsmithing and refinishing. They outsource their plating to a local company. I don't know if it's right to post their name because if what they say is true, then the blame lies with the plater. They are also offering to replace it with a like model. So for right now, I have no reason to doubt what they are saying. Everyone that I know who has done business with them have been very happy with the outcome.
I hope this will all work out, but I am not optimistic right now.
SPECTRE
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#22]
John Norrell can fix the lower.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
John Norrell can fix the lower.
cpermd
View Quote

forgive my ignorance, but who is John Norrel ??
Anyway, I don't want it fixed, I want it replaced.
but thanks for the suggestion.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#24]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Norrell - Norrell Manufacturing - Class 2
2608 Grist Mill Rd.
Little Rock, AR 72227
Fax: (501) 225-7864
E-mail [email protected]

He is an artist
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Spectre, good luck with them tomorrow.  Hopefully you get somewhere talking to Bushmaster and ATF.  Please keep the rest of us informed, and please take some pictures of the lower reciever, as I'm really curious as to what happened to it.

Best of luck.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry about your trouble. I've got a pre ban Bushy purple people shooter (upper and lower) and wouldn't change a thing about it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 2:07:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Olympic arms recently advertised that they could replace your damage Oly receiver and it could be like the original or in different materials (i.e. stainless steel) and with the original serial number engraved.  The person at Bushmaster is either B.S.ing you or they don't want the hassle.  Oly did it at a very good price.  I almost bought a pre-ban Oly because of their willingness to manufacture replacement receivers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top