Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 3:07:35 PM EDT
I ask the opinions of this forum regarding a problem I have with the post office.

I have a german shepherd that stays in the back yard and is sometimes let into the house. When a new (short-time substitute) letter carrier came to my door last week, my dog barked at her THROUGH A CLOSED DOOR. The letter carrier was in no way threatened by the dog as it could never get out of a closed door. None of our regular postmen have ever had a problem with my dog in the last two years that we have had the animal. This carrier is a short-term temp sho is filling in while our regular carrier is on vacation. The same (bitch) letter carrier met me in the front yard today and was very pleased to tell me that she had reported me to the post office and they would no longer be delivering mail to my regular mailbox. She then smiled and told me that I should be getting some sort of notice from the post office in the next few days telling me that I would either have to get a post office box or I would have to move my mailbox to the edge of the property near the street (so she won't have to get off of her ass to walk from her truck to my mailbox.) I know that this whole situation will be my word against hers. Again, the dog is NOT allowed to roam and is kept in the back yard with a 6 foot tall sturdy wood privacy fence and is sometimes let into the house. Again, the dog barked at her through a CLOSED door and was NEVER a threat to her safety. No previous carriers have ever complained about the dog. This temp mail carrier will probably be off of my route soon, but if she pushes this the results could go on long after she's gone.

Any suggestions? Thoughts from postal workers wuold be welcomed now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I say stand up to her and see what happens, don't let them run over you.

F*&k the post office! I sent my Dad a birthday present in April, he never recieved it. In May I get a big brown envelope with the top of the box I shipped in it. The enclosed letter said that it was found like this in the Jacksonville Post Office. It had been cut off with something like a razor knife. The P.O. also enclosed a claim letter for the contents, but it was less than $100 dollars in value, so they would not do anything. Fucking thieves, cut my package open for a Stainless Steel Thermos and a $50 gift certificate for Bass Pro Shops. Then the sorry ass P.O. wouldn't do anything about it, so from now on I am shiping Fed Ex.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a problem with the PO, but I would think the PO would give you a chance to respond, maybe you can tell them that your dog has never bitten anyone. Does the PO keep records of dog bites on letter carriers, do they have any records of your dog bitting any letter carrrier?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
i train K-9s and retrievers for hunt tests and hunting.

call and ask for a supervisor to come out and explain to him or her the situation and complain about the false allegation of having a vicious animal loose.

she was a bitch..

have you seen some of the temps lately..

i saw one a few months ago that looked like an honest to goodness street person, complete with hair halfway to his ass and tattoos showing on his arms. not exactly the postmen that i had as a kid.

since i have numerous dogs on the property at any given time ( they are all very well behaved and under control and either in kennels or the house ) i have LOCKED GATES and had a key box put in at the side of the gate for the electric meter reader.

i had a supervisor come out and point blank told him that the first time (#1) that that gate was left unlocked by one of his personnel that i would make sure that a K-9 was left loose in the back yard for the thier enjoyment.

i had my sheperd beside that day for quite the impression.

i never had one problem with them. that worked out great.

i did have a postman..mace one of our west highland terrier dogs onetime for fun.

we got him fired, since he didnt realize that half the neighbors had seen him do it.

if you run into problems with the post office, holler at me and i'll see if i cant pull some strings or get you a letter of some type of professional review.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Screw that!! I would have said "The dog is not who you should be worried about"

Then start barking.

Or better yet... tell her that the neighborhood cat is more vicious

Just kidding...for all you thin skinned people.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Besides... what do these people think is going to happen?? the dog is going to jump through a window??

Although I used to have this lady walk her little fucking anklebiters in front of my house and crapping, until my dog "Cujo" started barking like mad through the window.

They now walk ACROSS the street. Funny thing is "Cujo" still barks at them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]
In addition to what muddydog said about calling and talking to a supervisor, Ask your regular deliverer what to do when he returns. If he hasn't had a problem in the past and has been delivering with out a problem, he could probably say something to the postmaster to get it fixed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
About two years ago my wife and I had a tangle with the post office.  Our regular lady letter carrier was very nice.  She would stop to talk with my wife and kids in the front yard when she put our mail in the mail slot in the front door.  One day she told us she was being removed because a carrier with seniority requested her route.  Our neighborhood is a nice older neighborhood with no street side mailboxes and several elderly ladies.  In January the neighbors and my family received notices that we had to put mailboxes up by the street.  In January.  With frozen solid Indiana ground.  Riiiiight!  January through April is also my busy season (being a CPA), so we called the post master and he said it would be no problem waiting until the end of April to put it up.  We started to notice later into February that mail was sparse.  When my wife saw our letter carrier passing through she tried to catch him and find out what was the problem.  She spoke to him saying we haven't received mail for about a week or so.  He started yelling at her saying it was more like a month and he wasn't going to deliver it until we put up a mailbox.  He had been keeping all of our mail and not delivering it.  When I talked with my wife on the phone, she was in tears.  We ended up having a special delivery from the postmaster bringing all of our mail in a bundle to our house.  The postmaster said this guy was complaining about dogs.  We don't have a dog.  Anyway, the month of May passed and our neighborhood now has street lined mailboxes so our lazy carrier can sit on his fat butt and not leave his car.  To this day I constantly notice magazines and advertisements with broken seals delivered to our box.  He sits on his lunch hour reading my Dillon Blue Press, Natchez, or American Riflemen.  Anyway, I thought I would pass on my post office problem story.  This guy is the only a-hole letter carrier I've run into, so I figure I'm doing pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Write a letter to the postmaster complaining about the treatment the temp gave you.  Carry it to the post office and mail it to them, person to person return receipt requested.  Explain that your dog is restrained, how it is restrained and what comments the temp made.  Inquire about filing a formal greivance.  They are government employees and subject to your complaints.  And, the next time you see temp bitch, tell her that you have filed a grievance with the post office against her and watch her jaw drop.  Oh yeah, most temps are non union....
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
i'd just hide in the bushes on monday

when she comes by, jump out and beat the shit out of her with a 2x4
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
You have to know how to navigate the USPS bureaucracy. Get ahold of the [b][i]CARRIER SUPERVISOR[/b][/i] (this is important, because if you just ask for a supervisor, you get a clerk supervisor who won't do anything) and the station manager. Present your case to them about the part-time flex (PTF) carrier (official Postal lingo for a temporary) and your lack of past troubles. They may move her (easiest) or give the portion of your route to another carrier to complete.

This is A1 information straight from a buddy who is a carrier in Oklahoma City. I had similar troubles with our regular carrier a few years ago. They moved him and the universe is now back in balance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Have any of you seen the set up with a shotgun mounted to the wall and a string attached to the trigger and the doorknob? well, you could adapt it to...
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#14]

postal workers pissed = dead innocent bystanders
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Ever read the newspapers???  Do you know what it means to "Go Postal?"

The only thing those post office employees understand is lots and lots of firepower!

I've always had good mail carriers, until I moved into my most recent house.  My friggin mailman is the laziest SOB I've ever seen.

I also know a friend of mine with his own business.  Over the course of 2 years, one of his employees with the help of her husband (who worked in a bank) embezzeled over $100,000 from the business.  The husband got fired from the bank.  In the criminal proceedings, he copped a plea and his wife took the rap since the husband was already a convicted felon.

When the dust settled, the husband got a job at the post office.  For some reason that doesn't surprise me.  Fuck those assholes!!!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
#1: The USPS is only responsible to deliver mail to the edge of your property.

#2: The lazy bitch is probably using this as an excuse to make her day easier.  I'll bet if you ask your neighbors, they have the same problem.  Now all she has to do is deliver to the edge of everyone's property and she barely works....
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Write a decent, factiual but polite letter to the Postal Service HEADQUARTERS.  Often, local supervisors or postmasters will simply ignore you and try to bullshit/stonewall you into compliance.  Your original post is a good start.  

The local postmaster ignored me with a problem, and I wrote to DC.  Heard right quick.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I contacted the local post office and spoke with a so-called carrier supervisor about the problem. Today the letter carrier DELIBERATELY passed-up my house and went straight to the neighbor's place. I caught up to her truck about three houses down from mine and asked if we had any mail. She checked the stack in her truck and said "Oops! I MUST have forgotten these[/phony condescending tone] and then hinted that she could stop my mail altogether if I didn't kiss her ass. Apparently, her supervisor told her about my complaint and all it did was just made her REALLY mad, but no other results. Where do I turn next? Suggestions? Is there a board that I can appeal to?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Report her, yet again. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Bob

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep up the heat. She's just a PTF, she's expendable. If you make just one complaint, she'll straighten up for five minutes or so. If you continue to make steady, well-documented complaints, they (the Post Office) will take action. You're probably not the first or only customer on the route who's bitched about her.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]DSVET91 :[/b]

ive honestly never had any big problems like that with USPS.
I allways spend the buck or two for insurance, Once the bastards jacked a video card I was returning on warranty, it cost me $145 to replace, but thats not the exact amount the insurance slip stated [;D] (I sure did love the CPU and RAM I got myself later that week).

BTW:Anyone ever check guns america every once in a while? I remember some UPS [i]EMPLOYEE[/i] posting up a stolen SVD (6 months ago?) Shows ou just how trustworthy these assholes can be.
I remember hearing of Airborne Express actually warning customers because their employees like to steal firearms (with that, came a story of 200 S&W's being stolen in an LEO shippment).
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#22]
How about videotaping her passing up your house repeatedly?  Also record something like the front  page of the newspaper to prove the date, the Weather Channel going in the background to prove the time.  That's hard evidence that she's passing up your place deliberately.  Then stand on the carrier super's desk about the waste of sperm they have for a letter carrier.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you get along with your neighbors?  If so let them know what the bitch did and get every single one of them to complain to her supervisor about her.  It will definately help your case as it will be an entire street against her word.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#24]
My postal service sucks so bad that I send everything out from work (different city) and ask everyone to ship me stuff via UPS or whatever else they want to use.

Getting packages is hit or miss.  They don't like to leave them at the post office even though that is what they check on the card.  Plus the PO is scheduled to close at 1630, but will randomly close anytime around 1600.

I have scheduled as much as possible to go through automatic billing in order to reduce my dependence on the PO.  One time I received a notice that the electric company was going to cut power for some repairs two months after they were sent out (neighbors received their's on time and let me know about it thankfully).
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 3:36:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, I contacted the local post office and spoke with a so-called carrier supervisor about the problem. Today the letter carrier DELIBERATELY passed-up my house and went straight to the neighbor's place. I caught up to her truck about three houses down from mine and asked if we had any mail. She checked the stack in her truck and said "Oops! I MUST have forgotten these[/phony condescending tone] and then hinted that she could stop my mail altogether if I didn't kiss her ass. Apparently, her supervisor told her about my complaint and all it did was just made her REALLY mad, but no other results. Where do I turn next? Suggestions? Is there a board that I can appeal to?
View Quote

Report her again.  Again, not to the locals who may be her friends, but to DC.  Add the second incident.  Use the term "Deliberate misdirection of mail."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top