Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2002 9:14:00 PM EDT
What the HELL kind of creature is this nasty thing...

[url]community.webtv.net/YULLOSE/ick[/url]

Since the severe drought, I've noticed a SHITLOAD of these things coming into my house...

I kill at least 2 a day, sometimes more...

Best home defense weapon I've found so far is brake parts cleaner, aka "Brakekleen"...
Makes their legs disolve & fall off...

I FVCKING HATE these things !!!
They scurry across the rug faster than you can chase them...
They range in size from 1/2" babies to 2" monsters....

I'd rather have mice and spiders...
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
CENTIPEDE!!

Nasty, horrible creepy-crawlers that have no reason to exist, but to terrorize and plague, mankind.
QUICK, KILL THEM ALL, before they multiply and become an uncontrollable infestation!!!!!

Edited to add, that one bite and your leg or arm could swell-up and have to be amputated. And if they get in your hair, they'll lay their eggs, and you will go crazy!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a silverfish that's been mutated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OH YES!!! I remember these bastards from my NY days... ESPECIALLY in the Hot Humid Summer days.

I hated those things with a passion! That is one thing I DO NOT miss about NY.

I dont know about the poisonus thing and the egg laying but YES!! They do give me the willies something awful. Especially when you are trying to get to bed, flick on the light and a 2" sucker scurries down the wall and disappears behind the dresser... NOW GO FIND IT!

Because YOU KNOW you are not getting sleep until it is .... terminated!
View Quote

[:D]
I've already pulled wall trim off to terminate these bastards...

I will move every piece of furniture in the house to track one down and KILL it...

They move so goddamn fast, you think they are watching you while they run...

I can't catch'em, so I rely on the ole aeresol can to dissolve their legs off...

They give me the willies so bad, I won't pick them up when they are dead...
I suck'em up with the vacuum instead...
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Only a proud New Yorker never forget the days of the ole attic bugs that crawls the walls in the summer and only to be found dead in boxes of christmas lights/decorations in the late fall/early wintertime.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:03:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Pussies! [:D]

I'm laughing my ass off!!! It's a bug, not a monster.

I like the way their legs move in waves when they run.

Who do you guys get to kill your spiders, or do you keep some snake shot loaded for the big ones? [:D]

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep
That's a silverfish.
They like humid weather and to live in the crevices of your furniture. Most of all they feast on paper. A bug bomb will usually do the trick.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What the HELL kind of creature is this nasty thing...

[url]community.webtv.net/YULLOSE/ick[/url]

Since the severe drought, I've noticed a SHITLOAD of these things coming into my house...
I kill at least 2 a day, sometimes more...
Best home defense weapon I've found so far is brake parts cleaner, aka "Brakekleen"...
Makes their legs disolve & fall off...
I FVCKING HATE these things !!!
They scurry across the rug faster than you can chase them...
They range in size from 1/2" babies to 2" monsters....
View Quote

I, too, have these critters running around my house. They are the fastest bugs I have ever seen, and yes, they are very creepy.

It seems that they like rocks (my house had a loose field stone basement). I killed one of the suckers one time and it had purple guts!

Glad I  read this thread!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Who do you guys get to kill your spiders, or do you keep some snake shot loaded for the big ones? [:D]

View Quote

I leave the spiders alone. One year I killed off the spiders so then I got to listen to the CRICKETS chirp all night [whacko]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep
That's a silverfish.
View Quote

Nope no its not.....

This is a silverfish..

[img]http://www.ent.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/images/insects/silverfish.gif[/img]

This is the common house centipede.
[img]http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/images/myriapoda/chilopoda/scutigera.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I know several have already replied stating it is a silverfish.  Guys, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did some looking a while back on a bug similar to this (can't tell with the legs all melted off [:D]).  I found there is a creature that looks similar to the silverfish called a firebrat.  It is dull brown in color, and prefers warm dry places where the silverfish prefers cool, damp places.

Oh - How big is it?  About an inch or so?
Can't remember if it has the same love of paper and cloting goods as its cousin, but I don't think it does, as after reading about it, I wasn't worried about them getting to my prized Red Wings jersey.

YMMV.  Either way, it is trespassing.  Terminate with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

[img]http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/images/myriapoda/chilopoda/scutigera.jpg[/img]

View Quote

Yup, THAT's what it looked like with all it's legs...

The one in my picture was about 1.5" long...(without the whiskers)

I don't mind snakes, mice, spiders, etc...

I don't mind gutting a deer...

I just friggin can't stand these fuzzy monsters running across my rug.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, those aren't silverfish, but they seem to come out from the same places.  I think ours come out of the shower drains.  I know they have come out of sink drains before, because they get stuck in the stainless steel sinks and can't climb out.
These bastards are fast and they keep movin' even after crushin'!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[url]http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/images/myriapoda/chilopoda/scutigera.jpg[/url]

View Quote

Yup, THAT's what it looked like with all it's legs...

The one in my picture was about 1.5" long...(without the whiskers)

I don't mind snakes, mice, spiders, etc...

I don't mind gutting a deer...

I just friggin can't stand these fuzzy monsters running across my rug.....
View Quote

Wanna feel really weird??? Go outside and take the cover off of your water meter vault.... Bunch of nasties in there!!!! I won't drink anything but bottled water now an it makes my skin craw to wash the dishes.

List of what I've seen in mine:
Slugs
Centipedes
Black Widows
Silverfish
Pill Bugs
Earwigs
Various other spiders and nasty shits

Jake
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Dragracer.....

I noticed that your poor poor buddy had somehow lost most of its legs!!  YOU MEANIE!

In my first house that I rented when I first got married WE HAD HUGE ONES!!  I am talking well over 3 inches!!

They used to climb out of the tub drain and get trapped in the tub......we always had to check for them when we had a bath! Or we would have company.

In the sub basement they were always scurying around by the tens!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top