Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 5:46:39 PM EDT
I've got a paragraph in a technical paper where I summarized a chapter in a textbook.

By themselves, every sentence of the paragraph should be referenced.

But as a paragraph, I would think the paragraph would be referenced instead of each sentence.

I can't find information on this.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the time the journal or conference to which you're submitting the paper will put out style guidelines.  That should be dealt with in there.  Otherwise, follow the format for technical reports put out by the organization for whom you're employed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Most of the time the journal or conference to which you're submitting the paper will put out style guidelines.  That should be dealt with in there.  Otherwise, follow the format for technical reports put out by the organization for whom you're employed.

We are supposed to follow a published style guide.
I have it right here, but I can't find any reference to my particular situation.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Is your "summary" word-for-word what was written, with large chunks removed in between?  If so, you could put the whole thing in quotes, then use ellipsis periods at every deletion in order to show that stuff has been removed.  You might need to put the ellipsis periods in brackets to indicate that they were not part of the original text.  Footnoting just once at the end should work then.

That failing, ask whoever you're writing the paper for -- professor, journal, or whatever.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd have to go with asking the person you're writing it for.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Which format are you following?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm following the ACS Style Guide.  (American Chemical Society)

I sent my professor an email.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top