Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2001 8:45:13 AM EDT
Some pigeons have decided to start roosting by my chimney above the back door of my house which is right outside the kitchen nook.  Every time I sit at the table now, I've got a prime view of bird shit outside my door.

I decided to start shootin' them with my pellet gun and hit one yesterday afternoon.  It plopped off the roof and landed on the patio cover. No prob.

This morning I heard them coo-ing up there again and went out with the Daisy.  I pumped it up 15 times and loaded a pointed hunting pellet into my urban high powered assault sniper pigeon killer.  Not having had enough time to put on my ghillie suit, the roof top shitter caught sight of me, or maybe the reflection off my scope, and started to fly.

At this point, I figured there was no way I'd hit it, so I led it by a few feet and pulled the trigger anyway.  I just about shit a Twinkee when it folded it's wings and started to tumble!

Problem is, by this time it was about 20' above the fence that separates my yard from the neighbor.  It tumbled and fell onto my neighbors back yard patio.  They laid the concrete about four months ago and are in the process of putting up a patio cover now.

I heard it flop a couple of times after it hit the patio, then it was silent.  I went next door to tell them and offer to pick it up, but they had already left for work.  Since nobody was home, I went back into my yard and looked over the fence.  The damn bird landed smack dab in the center of their new, unstained patio and splattered blood over about a 2 1/2 foot diam. area.

I grabbed a garbage bag and hopped the fence (not easy when you're my size), and scooped up the bird then hosed down the patio.  Unfortunately, there are still stains in the concrete.

What's best? Detergent?  Bleach?  I sure as hell hope the stain comes out before they get home.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#1]
3500 PSI pressure washer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
3500 PSI pressure washer.
View Quote

Ditto.  If not, try some muriatic acid.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Muriatic acid - available at any pool supply store, and many hardware stores - will probably do the trick if you don't have a pressure washer.  Just be sure to do a test patch on a small area of concrete first so you're sure it won't noticably discolor the concrete.  Scrub and wash it all off with a lot of water.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
You should have left it. [:D]

Try Era or straight bleach.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Oxy-Clean works well
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have any clue how to get rid of the stain, but I have to tell you I nearly wet my pants reading your story.

Kiwi
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Muric acid will eat away at the concrete.  If you've ever ben in a pool with a very rough bottom and sides you will know what I mean.  Beach will wouk, but you'll make a "clean spot" and probably have to do the entire deck, which probably won't come out uniform in either case.  I'd stick with the Hydrogen Peroxide and a brush.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably the best thing to do at this point is to chalk the outline of a person's body on their patio, so it looks like a crime scene.

That way they don't worry about someone shooting birds, and the bloodstains don't look out of place.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably the best thing to do at this point is to chalk the outline of a person's body on their patio, so it looks like a crime scene.

That way they don't worry about someone shooting birds, and the bloodstains don't look out of place.
View Quote

That was funny as sh!t.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
:rolling eyes: or you could go to the drugstore and buy a couple of bottles of hydrogen peroxide which will break it up along with a scrubber sponge.
View Quote

But it is not as cool as using acid! [}:D]

Kyle
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Kyle,
Not that kind of Acid.
Ice
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Definitely peroxide...no doubt in my mind.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Muriatic acid is just a friendlier name for HCl.

But it does make for some good coke bottle bombs!  Ever try it?
View Quote

Never heard of it but sounds like fun to try.  Too bad I don't know how [grenade]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#17]
As a Paramedic of 12 years let me 2nd the vote for Hydrogen Peroxide, it breaks up the protiens in blood (out of new carpets, clothes, concrete and even white cats, don't ask)

pour it on let it soak for about a minute or two dab up, repeat as nessesary.  

SDnR ;)
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:06:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Job Done!  Well, sort of.

There is a little hint of a stain left, but not too bad.  I waited long enough to let the concrete dry and hopped the fence again to check. Fortunately their patio is in full sun and it's a hot day here (about 85-90).

I think that if I hadn't flushed it as well as I did right after the bird landed, the blood would have soaked in more and had more time to dry/stain in this heat.  I tried the peroxide, since it was the most readily available of all the suggestions offered.  I was afraid it would leave a "bleach spot" because it really fizzed on the blood stains yet only pooled on the non affected areas.

I finished off by using some laundry detergent and a scrub brush.  I'm sure the ground is going to be dry by the time my neighbors get home, but at least I feel better about telling them what happened and knowing I did my best to clean up the mess.

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife gets the blood out of my clothes with H2O2-hydrogen peroxide.She then sprays with Simple Green but that is unnecessary.
cpermd
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Careful, or you'll shoot your eye out.
LOL
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Muriatic acid is just a friendlier name for HCl.

But it does make for some good coke bottle bombs!  Ever try it?
View Quote

Never heard of it but sounds like fun to try.  Too bad I don't know how [grenade]
View Quote

Never did it with acid, but dry ice bombs are a real hoot!  No worries about acid everywhere either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#24]
For information purposes only...

That all just a fancy name for an MRE bomb...Take the heating element from an MRE and pur it into any plastic bottle that has a screw on lid. fill the botle 1/3 with water cap tightly and throw BIG BOOM! been doing that for years in the military
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Dry ice bombs are the safest way to get a big boom.  Go get some of the pellet kind so it'll fit in the bottle.  Take plastic 20oz.  bottles or a gatorade bottle will work.  Drop 3 or 4 pellets in there then put about a cup of water in it.  Screw the lid on tightly.  Depending on the size bottle and amount of ice, it will take from 2-5 minutes for it to explode.  When it does....

Another one which is extremely dangerous (destructive) (fun) is a sparkler bomb.  This one is hard to make because it takes a specific type of sparkler.  They are called "electric sparklers" I think.  They come in red, blue, and green packages.  Here's what you do:
Take 75-200 sparklers and bunch them together
Pull one up in the center as a fuse
Wrap tightly with duct tape, the tighter you wrap and more tape you put on, the louder and more powerful the blast.
Light the fuse and haul ass.

We make em every 4th of July and New Year's.  They will blow up alot of stuff.  Things we have blown up: 50gal plastic drum (completely vanished), empty metal gas can (nothing but the bottom found), rubbermaid trash can (completely vanished), 5 gal. paint bucket (found the metal handle), road cone (didn't blow up but launched about 15ft. straight up).  

They're fun as hell just be careful.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I commend you for doing the neighborly thing and trying to clean up the mess.

If you didn't like your neighbors, I would have suggested leaving a few small feathers scattered about, and later telling them about the "big-ass hawk" that swooped down and nailed a pigeon "right in mid-air", "just like in those nature shows on the Discovery Channel", and that the hawk landed right in the center of their patio and started his feast. Too bad you didn't have your camera handy. ;)
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
hydrogen peroxide will do it for sure.

mike
View Quote

Correct. Hydrogen Peroxide is the best stuff around to get blood out. Get it at any drug store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top