Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:29:29 PM EDT
I'm in Las Vegas, and need to be in Santa Barbara, CA this Wed. Instead of driving all that way, I would rather take the bus. It's longer, but less wear and tear on me or my car.

I haven't taken the bus in a loong time. What's it like these days? Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Hookers and blow everwhere.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#2]
it's like the DMV, state pen, and a border crossing rolled into one. But with more body odor and pot.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
it's like the DMV, state pen, and a border crossing rolled into one. But with more body odor and pot.

Seriously?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You hit that nail right on the head.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I forgot to mention WalMart
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1, it sucks, the mell is the worst, avoid if at all possible
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't imagine it's changed much since I rode to/from school to home and back, 6+ hour trip...

Wear comfortable clothes, bring portable music and a book or two (or three if you're like me), pack so you can either carry it on yourself or so you won't mind it being stuck under the bus...

Stock up on a couple bottles of water and some portable food..

Maybe a pillow if you find the seats disaggreable and painful...

*shrug*
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not that bad. I rode one from  NY to Cali and back. saw a lot of cool stuff. I wish I had brought a camera. The seats were uncomfortable as a bitch, though. taking whore baths at a bus station can get a bit sketchy too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm in Las Vegas, and need to be in Santa Barbara, CA this Wed. Instead of driving all that way, I would rather take the bus. It's longer, but less wear and tear on me or my car.

I haven't taken the bus in a loong time. What's it like these days? Seriously.

Less wear on your car, not you.

But heck, everyone needs to try it once.  That's not even a real bus trip.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You have got to be kidding me...
No one in thier right mind would want to ride one.

I had to once and I tell you it will never happen again.  To be honest your better off buying a $50 bike from WallyWorld and taking your chances on the open road.

The one time I rode the "bus" the bus was boarded by some local .gov agency who "accidentally" let this drug dog onboard.  The dog jumped on the guy in front of me and was going after his jacket.  Come to find out the guy had a little herb on him...Along with about 50 Lbs in a couple bags under the rig.  This caused a 3 hour delay.  Later on during this same trip I am offered all types of illegal substances, not to mention an offer to have a little something performed to/on me.  Last part of the trip we stop in some small town at a bar.  The bar was actually the pick-up spot for the bus company.  Needless to say the guy that got on was trashed and caused a several problems for myself and a couple other people on board.  The driver ended up having to threaten to kick him off and leave him in the middle of nowhere.

Again there has to be a better way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If you need money, call Americas Most Wanted.  All the people they feature are on the bus.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I had to take the hound to a trucking job one time a few years ago.  I learned really quick to pack very light and keep anything breakable in my carry-on bag.  It's best if you can avoid checking a bag under the bus at all.

Pillows and books are also must-haves.

Biggest suck for me was when I had to use the bathroom, especially while laid over in a big city terminal. You hated to let your bags out of your sight, and you hated to bring them into the bathroom.

It's a lot easier if you have a travel partner that you can switch off watching each other's stuff for while the other is doing something, such as hitting the vending machines, going to the bathroom, etc...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Vegas to CA? dude... its only 4 hours. Drive. You may be a bit more tired but you will be less stressed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You forgot to mention it is slow, as well.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a brick and hit yourself in the head for even thinking about taking a bus  Rent a car, it would be just as cheap.

A few years ago when a family emergency came up and money was really tight, I took a bus from Rochester, NY to Minneapolis, MN and back.  It was the worst traveling experience I have ever had.
I will never ride a bus on a long distance trip again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Vegas to CA? dude... its only 4 hours. Drive. You may be a bit more tired but you will be less stressed.

Santa Barbara is a bit further up the coast than LA, but all these responses are convincing me to NOT take the bus.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
it's all the cramped discomfort of flying, combined with the slow speed of driving, divided by the lowest common denominator of society

pony up the cash to fly, or take your own ride.

the bus is terrible!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Never agian --san diego to new orleans with "americas most apprehended". Luckilly I was travelling with a buddy and we could sleep in shifts while one kept an eye out for the riff raff.
BTW did you know that if you are stranded in one city you can go to the police station and tell them you are a runaway and that you are out of money and need to get home and they will buy you a bus ticket home ? Which you can then swap around with the other "runaways" to get where you want to go? I did'nt either --found out on that trip.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Santa Barbara is a bit further up the coast than LA, but all these responses are convincing me to NOT take the bus.

Personally though (and this is just me) EVERY TIME I have to go on a long drive I get so tense its not even funny. I dread it for WEEKS!!! Anything longer than 1 1/2 hours is a long drive to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#21]
go to the bus station for 10 mins and you'll be convinced for sure.

it's like an episode of COPS en espanol con tweekers
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I did it a few times in College from Oklahoma to South Carolina..36hrs each way...It sucked because I had to stay awake the whole time..can't sleep around strangers..Had a great time though passing around the bottle with a bunch of young Army guys and lying about pussy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Drive
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Hear about the bus that fliped on its side out side of rawlings WYO last night at 4 am? I rest my case. If anyones gonna flip what Im riding in its gonna be ME.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I've taken Greyhound once.
It will be the last time. I'll drive, I'll walk, I'll hitchhike. I would carjack someone at gunpoint before I suffer Greyhound again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I would rent a cheap car if it was me.  Since it's not, why not bus it to Union Station in L.A. and then take a train up to Santa Barbara?  Check www.amtrak.com.

Eric  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#27]
If you like to hang out at the DMV in the worst part of town, welcome to Greyhound!

After travelling from Houston to Denver, I was an honorary member of the East side Crips.  

The travelling mentally ill really make the trip worthwhile.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#28]
It sucks man, it smells like piss and the creepy old man keeps kicking your seat, and the toilet seats have piss all over it and nothing but bums hang out at the bus stops. Bring beer and munchies.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#29]
You have a car and don't want to drive because you want to save the wear and tear on you and the car.....So instead you want to take the bus????
Are you on drugs ....or a F.M.
If you take the bus...I'll am 99% sure you never will again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#30]
If the previous (above) responses don't convice you. Try it for your own experience. It could be a "rite of passage" for you, or worse!

Trust me, body odor will be the least of your concerns.

Beg fo gas money!

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't do it. Drive.

Taking the bus is like some sort of primative punishment.

ETA spelling
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]
The last time I rode the bus, I was still a nun.  Woke up because the nasty, stinkin' drunk next to me was trying to cop a feel.

Never in a million years would I ride a bus again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The last time I rode the bus, I was still a nun.  Woke up because the nasty, stinkin' drunk next to me was trying to cop a feel.

that's hot
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#34]
About 3 years ago I took a greyhound trip from nothern NJ to Michigan.  The trip took about 20 straight hours and I had to change buses several times.  The seats were VERY uncomfortable.  They were also packed very close together.  I'm 6'2" and my legs were bent / knees pressed against the back of the seat in front of me most of the time.  Once some small asian man even tried to forcefully recline his chair back on me.  One of the buses had a problem with the roof and produced a high pitched whistling noise for 4 straight hours as it drove around (which sucked since it was one of the last buses I had to take on the trip and I planned on trying to get a few hours of sleep).  Another bus smelled strongly of piss.  Most of them had at least some mild urine stench.  I will never, ever ride a Greyhound ever again.  Aside from all of the discomfort, disgustingness, annoyances and the 20 hours of riding around on buses, it also cost almost as much as a plane ticket.

I used to commute back and forth by bus to and from NYC when I worked there, took subways and even at one point would take NJ Transit trains.  These local forms of transportation are actually pretty comfortable compared to the hell of riding Greyhound.  As others have said, avoid Greyhound at all costs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#35]
My wife refers to it as the "Groundhog".  To her the comparison to a dark, damp, smelly burrow is more appropriate than a swift, sleek, racing dog.  I must concur having ridden Greyhound many times in my youth.  Never again.  If it comes down to it, I'd rather face the ridicule (not to mention illegality I'm sure) of riding a burro into a major urban metropolis.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#36]
They don't call it

"Riding The Dog"

For nothing
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Watch out for theives. Everyone I know that has rode a Greyhound has had something stolen from them  during the trip.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#38]
as I think about this more, I've realized it's more like the county jail than the state pen because you don't have the benefit of a locked cell to protect you when you sleep
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's hot

No, it is NOT.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#40]
My friend caught crabs from riding on a greyhound bus.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Roundtrip from Vegas to SB on America West can be as low as $150.

You could also fly on America West or SouthWest to LAX then take the Santa Barbara Airbus.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I guess this might be a "dont look down" type of situation.  Until you see how bad it is yourself you probably wont beleive us.

On my last bus trip to San Diego from Phoenix AZ i was stuck in a bus full of people coming from Nawlins(or is it chocolate city now?).  From previous experience i knew this was going to be bad but had to go anyway.  Can you handle sitting next to someone with bad body odor for 4 hours?  How about the smell of kids who shit themselves.  During my last trip some fat hoe claimed someone "moved" her stuff and caused a big fucking scene the entire way.  The bus driver should have called an LEO the first time she exploded five minutes into the trip.  Then there was the fact that the bus suddenly shut off twice climbing hills.  That didnt matter to the driver who pushed on until smoke started coming out of the side to stop the bus in some rest stop(thankfully within viewing distance).  Naturally, most of the people panicked to get out and it took them about 4 minutes to get out.  That was the only funny part of the trip.  8hours later the second bus arrived to pick everyone up.  There was a bus that came by 4 hours earlier with some extra seats but nobody wanted to hop in because they would have to sit close to that same obnoxious hoe i mentioned.  As she left she claimed to have her brothers ready to fight the guy she though originally moved her stuff.  
Also expect delays as border patrol usually have at least one illegal alien that they will take with them.   The seats are terrible and theres nothing you can do to them, they dont recline much and are probably broken anyways.  NEVER AGAIN!

Now i would gladly pay $100 extra to travel to CA by plane.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#43]
These replies you see are echoing some valid points. Heed them.

No kidding, I have seen and heard peeeps doing lines and having sex on these cruising shit-stations. Have had ex-cons bragging about carving up CO's, and had homeboys with no shoes or socks laying their nasty ghetto feet across the isle so I had to hurdle them when my stop arrived. Carry a big knife and some OC if you have to.

And for GOD'S SAKE to other travelers, avoid the Chicago station. Dipshit wonder at my initial boarding station in the east looked at my ticket and said "Oh, I can get you to xyz staion that was across the country faster with this little layover in Chicago." Turned out that layover was 12 hours long. The buddy system applies at these places as you can't leave anything unattended. Luckily I ran into a Marine that was on leave and had the same layover time, so we watched each others luggage when eating and so forth. You would have to be an idiot to try and take anything from that guyHow you gonna get your car back anyways?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's hot

No, it is NOT.

No joke you were a nun?
We once had one stay with our family...she was a riot...in a holy way
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

At least that's one bad habit he won't be able to pick up
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#46]
ever hear the song "Another one rides the bus" by Weird Al?

Na    it isnt that bad
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ba-dum TISH
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ba-dum TISH

Thank you...try the Veal...I'll be here all week
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#49]

How much is the round trip compared to:

Renting a car!

I've done the bus trip ...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#50]
they haul in Maggots from the Susanville Prison release they ship'em out of here,,,,take a GreyHound???? You Bet
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top