Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2002 3:06:48 PM EDT
Any tips on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Should I have a Question or Two to ask about the Department?

mark.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
This is to get hired right?

Well every city is like it's own country. Though in general most boards will have 2 to 6 people on them. Some are a mix of residents and LEOs other just officers.

Questions range from why you want to be an officer and why you want to work here. Other questions will be you in a scenario and what would you do.

Tips.

Don't tell them you have always wanted to work there. Unless you have some way to back it up in an intelligent way. (There is alot of people who go in to these boards just telling them what they want to hear; to some extent that's natural. Though it can come off corny if you over do it.

Find out as much as you can about the department and city. They will sometimes ask what you know about the city and department. KNOW AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

Besides that be yourself. You don't want to work on a department which is not right for you. Watch them and learn and good luck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Can give no insight into the specifics of LEO boards, but do have significant experience in similar situations, so you can ignore this somewhat general, probably trite, advice if you wish.
My greatest strength in these situations came from two sources:  a good night's sleep and a relaxed, comfortable, confident attitude.  If your boards have any similarities to the ones I have taken, then you know that this is no time to cram.  Trust yourself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys.

Unfortunately I have a long day of work before the 4:00pm oral board.  I hope I can save some brain cells for the interview.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a haircut, wear a conservative suit, shine shoes ect. Don't wear too much jewelry, only a watch and wedding band if you're hitched. No class rings, pinky rings, or cheesey charms around your neck. Look professional. Be extremely polite, shake hands ect before and after the interview. If you are changing depts DO NOT BASH your present employer, chiefs don't like this. No matter how legitimate your complaints are, it will make you look as if you have a bad attitude..Answer questions honestly, stick to your initial response. You can't BS cops. They will respect your opinion even if it is different than theirs. Use proper grammer and have a friendly, outgoinf demeanor..Good luck!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Hot Damn!! I passed!!!

Thanks, Gents!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#6]
CONGRATS!!!

hey, now that we're on the subject, what did they ask you?
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Stuff like:

What are your plans for the future?

Name a time when you were under pressure and what did you do?

Name a time you accomplished something within a team.

What is your best characteristic?

they were all along those lines.  I hate those types of questions.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top