Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:27:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 2:53:17 PM EDT by Got_Guns]
I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 4x4. Just recently when the heat is turned on, only cold air is forced out.

I checked all of the fuses, and the blower works fine, its just that its cold air coming out.

I did notice that as soon as I turn on the fan, a little warm air comes out and then it changes to cold in a matter of seconds.

Can this be the heater core causing the problem? Or is there something else that I am overlooking?

Thanks for your help

Got_Guns
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:30:56 PM EDT
My buddy has a S10 Chevy Blazer that the heat didn't work very well on and a new thermostat fixed it. Don't know if this is your problem, just an idea.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:12:42 PM EDT
yup, check your thermostat. If it's stuck open, you engine will be on a chill pill, and you'll get nothing for heat.

In other words, coolant is constantly flowing through your engine. Normally, the thermostat stays closed until the water temp reaches a certain point, then it opens and allows coolant to flow to radiator,engine, ect. to cool it.

Thermostats are cheap. Test yours by taking it out, and placing it in a dish of hot hot water, and then a dish of cold water. If the thermostant doesnt move at all, it's dead and will need replaced.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:22:42 PM EDT
check coolant level and termostat. has the jeep been running hot lately?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:18:57 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies.

The Jeep has been running a little hot for the past week or so and no that I think of it the heat has not been working since about that time.

I have ordered a thermostat and a new gasket and will replace them as soon as they come in. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

I let you guys know what happens

Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:23:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/3/2006 9:24:09 AM EDT by Slacker]
Just a note...you'll need to partially drain your coolant prior to removing the thermostat. Good time to flush the cooling system if it hasn't been done in awhile.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:58:27 PM EDT
Found the cause of the problem....

Removed the thermostat housing to find that the thermostat was missing!!!!

The previous owner must have had a leak at the water pump and removed the thermostat to relieve pressure in the cooling system so that the antifreeze wouldn't piss out of the pump housing.

So I ended up removing the thermostat housing and the water pump and replacing both items. I also installed a new thermostat. After I installed everything, I then cleaned the entire system with water until only clean water drained from the radiator. after that I added 1/2 antifreeze and then turned on the car and the heat in order to add the remaining water.

Needless to say, I now have the car running at the correct temp and I also have heat!!

THanks again for everyones help!

Paul
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:48:18 PM EDT
glad it all worked out
Top Top