Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/12/2004 12:34:00 PM EST
I have an external harddrive that I was going to sue to shuttle everything from the old Dell to my new build. I need to move my address book and all my old emails etc over to the new computer, I can't figure it out. How do I do it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:57:36 PM EST
With Win XP you can use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Files and Settings Transfer Wizard from the old computer and copy information to a removable media, direct cable connecting 2 computers or on a network. I'm on my way to work so I haven't tried this to make sure it transfers everything you are asking for but try it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:00:42 PM EST
Cool, that's a start. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:07:07 PM EST
If that doesn't work (it should) you can always do it the long way and archive everything into a personal folder (.pst) then put them in a shared directory on the external drive. Personal address book should be stored as .pab if I'm not mistaken.

Once again, that's the long way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:11:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2004 9:11:22 PM EST by PointlessSilly]

Originally Posted By THellURider:
I have an external harddrive that I was going to sue to shuttle everything from the old Dell to my new build. I need to move my address book and all my old emails etc over to the new computer, I can't figure it out. How do I do it?

Give me remote access to your machine and I'll take care of everything....

Well.. often, the default location for e-mail, address books, etc is in one of two places.

1) Somewhere in the same folder , or sub folder, where the program itself is stored.
E.G.: I use the Mozilla browser, and on Windows, Mozilla lives here -> "C:\Program Files\Mozilla"

2) In your 'home' folder. In my case, all my addy book, email, bookmarks for Mozilla is here ->
"C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\Some random subfolder"

Every program is different about where/how it stores stuff, but these two spots are in ball park 99% of time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:48:32 PM EST
Easiest way to find Outlook data is to search for .OST, .PAB and .PST files. Default location is usually: C:\Documents and Settings\xUSERx\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Copy these over to where you're going to store\transfer them. To use them on new PC, go into Outlook and configure services to map to the new location.
Top Top